Default America and Immigration

Sure this will get moved but will start it off here...

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Teddy Roosevelt 1919

Thoughts?

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Interesting topic. I'll leap forward to where I believe this thread will lead:

The fundamental problem with trying to build Utopia is that most people don't know what the word Utopia means. And that doesn't bother them.

It's difficult to work around that.

Professional Poster

Default Re: America and Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Asia
    Sure this will get moved but will start it off here...

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Teddy Roosevelt 1919

Thoughts?
    I think TR was a smart and brave man. I agree with his thoughts on accepting the 'new' Americans as fellow citizens, if they embrace their new country whole heartedly. This speech was made during the height of the greatest wave of immigration America has ever seen. These immigrants embraced the idea of America, and wanted to become part of it.(Much like those who are here now)

There is a line I remember from college-A nation won't last if it doesn't have 3 things:Territorial integrity, a shared history and a shared language.
    The military should provide for the first, public schools the second and third.

Alright Then.

Quote Originally Posted by hondarobot
    Interesting topic. I'll leap forward to where I believe this thread will lead:

The fundamental problem with trying to build Utopia is that most people don't know what the word Utopia means. And that doesn't bother them.

It's difficult to work around that.
    Was that a failed attempt to appear deep and philosophical, or are you just shitfaced again?

Curious, however, that the US allows its citizens to have dual nationality. Just an observation. (I think that's a good thing, I'm not having a go.)

As for the linguistic issue, that's a very interesting question indeed.....I know quite a few Swiss and as you are all, I'm sure, aware, there are four languages officially spoken there: German, French, Italian and Rumantsch. This definitely does not stop Swiss, whichever language they speak, seeing themselves as Swiss.