Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Hack for unlocking the iphone from at&t

This thing is pissing me off. has anyone gotten an iphone and used it by another service provider? Do I have to wait 24 hours after getting ther hack?

There is only one person in the world who is going to decide what I am going to do and that's me-
    Don't worry about Me- I am Charles Foster Kane. Don't worry about me.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

you will not like what I have to say

great phone: lousy terms

legally they should not be able to get away with NOT giving you the code to unlock the phone to use with whatever network other than AT&T that's GSM that you'd want to, but they've been able to shuck & jive around this for months which is fucked up

the hack as far as I know should have been instantaneous, try it again after a phone reset, see what happens

also

be careful what you check out on the iphone, as part of the terms you give them the right to observe various things you browse (i.e. stocks) and numerous users have recently gotten stock advice based on what they checked out with their own stock portfolios browsing them on the iphone

JWBL™

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Rookie Poster

Better hacks should come out soon as a court in Germany has decided
    that the contract to the provider is not binding on any iphones purchased in Germany ,no matter whether they were purchased befored this decision came out or not.

The existing hack is easily found by Google.
    I have it.
    A link to it was published by the New York Times ,if I remember correctly.

Rookie Poster

Go to tuaw.com and look under iphone hacks for details. There is a bunch of info if you look deep enough to unlock. It is a great phone.

Rookie Poster

Default iphone hack "why?"

u guys are crazy. if u dont like at&t, don't buy an iphone.
    any hack u do, can be disabeled and then what?i no more updates forever?

i've had 1 for a month. the first week, it wa tough to love, but once i let go of the old ways, and by that i mean, the faults that other phones give u, like looking fthru menus, and scrolling through pages ti loved it

i use a mac, so the intergration with my Address book and iCal was worth it alone. because i use a mac, the change was eaiser for me, but years of training on OTHER phones, has hard to let go.

i will say that the edge network for web browsing can be ok ( in manhatten, near the airports)
    in other places, with out wi-fi, FORGET it. dont even bother.

but , i used to come home and light up the laptop to check e-mail, no more ,
    all my mails ( time warner, gmail, and the others) come thru ( even on EDGE) so i keep up to date
    all in all, it's great as a comm device, as ad ipod , its ok, but it needs a time waster on board, even the pos solitare that come on iPods would be an improvement.
    one other thing i've noticed, it is a great wifi network finder! in the trendy/arty areas, you can find free wifi very often, but because it dosent tell you how much time you have left (if it does,i havent found it yet) i worry about battery life. i know that wi fi usage eats the batt much faster than edge. but i have gonr through a weekend with out charging and was ok. but because it dosent act as a hard drive ( like an iPod can) any usb port can be used to charge it and any usb to dock connectoer can be used

They sent me to jailbreakme.com my wifi is working fine, but the biggest flaw I find is that when I attempt to click on the appsnap installer for 1.1.1 it's sends me to http://jailbreakme.com/files/y/tiff this does not seem to be recognized by my phone as there is a question mark (I imagine some sort of unveiwable Image) on the screen.

I had edge technology on my last pearl. I liked the edge technology, I fucking hated the peal. I have owned three black berries and a t-mobile sda in three years, and combined could have had a very satisfying phone. On their own I disliked each.
    & I think they are all built with planned obsolessence in mind meanning none of them have lasted a year w/o getting squirrley. Ie, turning off at strange times, locking mechanisms going haywire etc.

So far the iphone looks to have the best calling and history features. I am on the phone ALL the time with a lot of people so this means retrieving numbers means a lot to me. I also use maps a lot.
    But, Fuck AT&T I had them back in '96 and they piss me off, so never again.

I usually buy every new PDA that comes out (I haven't even listed to ones I returned to the store) but the iphone looks to be the best. the reason I didn''t buy it when it first came out was Jobs fucked up on the price point. He also fucked up on the exclusivity of the provider. assuming that the latter point has been rectified..I'll keep it but:

As nice as it is, it's just a fucking phone, if I don't have this thing up and running by Friday afternoon....It's going back to the shop.

There is only one person in the world who is going to decide what I am going to do and that's me-
    Don't worry about Me- I am Charles Foster Kane. Don't worry about me.

When did you get the phone? What firmware is running on it currently?

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    be careful what you check out on the iphone, as part of the terms you give them the right to observe various things you browse (i.e. stocks) and numerous users have recently gotten stock advice based on what they checked out with their own stock portfolios browsing them on the iphone

JWBL™
    Ok so I the Iphone would not be good for business purposes. Noted. I wonder if AT&T has been eaves dropping on me already.

Go to hacktheiphone.com and follow the directions carefully. Phone should work fine.

As in any hack it helps to know what you are doing as opposed to just following instructions.