Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Default Justifiable police shootings................

Another NYC shooting by NYPD has me wondering worldwide what law enforcement does in other cities when faced with a person that may or may not have a weapon on them.

Lately NYC seems like a wild wild west state with 1 suspect getting shot many times by multiple officers.

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Gold Poster

What a load of shit the kid got shoot because they thought he had a gun but it was a hair brush.

Gold Poster

These cops must have been trained by barney fife.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

link on the way
    http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=75548

November 13, 2007

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Tuesday afternoon that officers acted within department guidelines when they opened fire on a Brooklyn teen Monday night, killing him, because the officers had reason to believe deadly force would be used against them.

Khiel Coppin's family held a news conference shortly after the Police Department, calling for a thorough investigation of the shooting and claiming the NYPD rushed to judgment.

"We are of course very, very disappointed that the police commissioner has decided to rush to judgment somehow within 24 hours of this tremendous tragedy, this egregious act that decided that this is within department guidelines, no one but Houdini himself could have decided that within 24 hours,” said Coppin family attorney Paul Wooten.

Coppin, 18, was shot and killed after officers say he charged at them with what they believed was a gun around 7 p.m. Monday night in Bedford Stuyvesant.

Police were sent to Coppin's apartment on Gates Avenue, after receiving a 911 call about a domestic dispute between a teen and his mother.

During the press conference, Kelly played a portion of the 911 tape. On the recording, the teen can be heard saying, "I got a gun and I'm gonna shoot you."

During the call, Coppin repeats the claim multiple times. When asked by the 911 operator if there was a gun involved his mother said, "you heard it from his mouth."

Kelly says when the officers arrived, Coppin had a knife in each hand and was coming toward the officers, calling on them to shoot him and kill him. He later climbed out the window of his first-floor apartment, holding a black object under his sweatshirt.

Kelly says Coppin continued to approach the officers, ignoring their orders to stop. The commissioner says Coppin then reached in and pulled out the object and pointed it toward them as if it were a gun.

That's when all five officers opened fire, shooting a total of 20 rounds, hitting Coppin eight times in the torso and near his foot. He was pronounced dead at Woodhull Hospital. The black object turned out to be a hairbrush.

Kelly called the teen emotionally disturbed and said it's also a possibility it was Coppin's intention to die at the hand of the officers and that notes found in Coppin's pocket may support that theory.

“We want to do more investigation,” said the commissioner. “The notes indicate a bit of a fascination with death, and his statement, ‘kill me, kill me,’ and his mother's statement, in her written statement, that he had talked about suicide, the possibility of suicide. So that's certainly a distinct possibility.”

According to Kelly, Coppin’s mother told police that her son had picked up a tape dispenser, put it under his sweatshirt, and said that he was “prepared to die.”

Kelly said police interviewed a number of civilian witnesses who confirm the police reports of the incident.

Kelly said all five officers were given a breathalyzer test by the Internal Affairs Office immediately following the incident, as per newly instituted NYPD protocol. Their tests were negative. The officers have been reassigned.

At a vigil for the 18 year old on Tuesday night, Coppin's stepfather said when the family called police -- what they wanted was help.

"Sometimes things don't go the way we want them to, and sometimes we handle things wrong,” said his stepfather Reginald Owens. “But the most important thing is that when you are trained, when you have the authority under you of the law to go out and execute the law, you should do that, but without killing somebody. He didn't have to be killed."

Earlier in the day, some members of the Bedford Stuyvesant community took their calls for justice to the 79th Precinct.

"This is insane,” said Brooklyn City Councilman Charles Barron. “The police killed this young man in cold blood, and they need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

“It seems to be happening over and over again and somebody needs to do something about it,” said one neighbor.

“They always think they have good reason,” added another. “They always think they have good reason, then the mayor backs them up, the governor backs them up. There is no good reason to open fire on a teenager the way they did.”

The Reverend Al Sharpton's National Action Network and the group 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care also attended the press conference by Coppin's family at Kings County Hospital earlier in the day. Both organizations said they have lost confidence in the NYPD's ability to investigate themselves and called for an independent investigation into the case.

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

5 Star Poster

Default Re: Justifiable police shootings................

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    Lately NYC seems like a wild wild west state with 1 suspect getting shot many times by multiple officers.
    Guess you've never been to Southern California honey - the home of shooting unarmed people...

Waht do they do in other countries? Shoot 'em and cover it up afterwards, and jail anyone who speaks out...

Sigh,
    TS Jamie

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Default Re: Justifiable police shootings................

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    Another NYC shooting by NYPD has me wondering worldwide what law enforcement does in other cities when faced with a person that may or may not have a weapon on them.
    They pull out there truncheons, look menacing and say in a stern voice, "'ere, 'ere, we'll 'ave none of that, Sonny Jim!"
    And then give you a fukkin good kicking.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    What a load of shit the kid got shoot because they thought he had a gun but it was a hair brush.
    maybe you didn't read this part before you posted:

"Police were sent to Coppin's apartment on Gates Avenue, after receiving a 911 call about a domestic dispute between a teen and his mother.

During the press conference, Kelly played a portion of the 911 tape. On the recording, the teen can be heard saying, "I got a gun and I'm gonna shoot you."

During the call, Coppin repeats the claim multiple times. When asked by the 911 operator if there was a gun involved his mother said, "you heard it from his mouth."

Kelly says when the officers arrived, Coppin had a knife in each hand and was coming toward the officers, calling on them to shoot him and kill him. He later climbed out the window of his first-floor apartment, holding a black object under his sweatshirt.

Kelly says Coppin continued to approach the officers, ignoring their orders to stop. The commissioner says Coppin then reached in and pulled out the object and pointed it toward them as if it were a gun."

way to shoot your mouth off again. (pun acknowledged)

Nothing to see here folks.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by tubgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    maybe you didn't read this part before you posted:

"Police were sent to Coppin's apartment on Gates Avenue, after receiving a 911 call about a domestic dispute between a teen and his mother.

Kelly says Coppin continued to approach the officers, ignoring their orders to stop. The commissioner says Coppin then reached in and pulled out the object and pointed it toward them as if it were a gun."

way to shoot your mouth off again. (pun acknowledged)
    How is typing that shooting my mouth,why do you always crawl out of your cave to critique everything i say like i give a damn about you or your opinions.Do you remember that african american women that was kidnapped and abuse phyically and mentally with racial insults,did't you tried to argue that that wasn't a hate crime,there is a pattern with you and these kind of threads with you.The kid got shoot because they thought he had a fucking gun bottom line.I heard about this story way before it was posted here and heard what his family had to say so i don't give a damn what some bias article has to say.

Rookie Poster

I like how people criticize cops for this type of stuff, when they have no idea what it's like in that situation.

Seems perfectly justifiable to me.

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

SMH. This shit is getting ridiculous. It just seems the good cops either get promoted and kept of the streets or leave town for smaller cities. The standards for the test must be quite low. either that or they dont do regular psych test to make sure these guys are still in their right minds when they step out in the streets. 8 hits outta 20 Rounds?!?! dudes off the streets that have better accuracy than that. Who the fuck trains them? I know not every cop is bad, but these types of things really make you wonder, especially with the frequency it happens here in NY.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P