Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Expansion

But Texas is HUGE. It's at least 6 hours to go from Dallas or Houston to San Antonio. I used to live in Pittsburgh and there are at least five teams within a 6 hour drive from there. Hell...Cleveland was less than 2 hours away. I'm sure OKC could support a team, but population-wise, San Antonio has the advantage. The greater the population, the more possible income. The NFL would have to get a seriously sweet deal on a stadium before they would go anywhere other than San Antonio.

However...assuming OKC did get a team, what would the name be? The Oklahoma Homesteaders? The Pioneers?

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

hell if i know. but i do thinkOKC having the slight edge in this round because of the support they gave the hornets on short notice and the HUGE colleg football scene, with San an being second. it would just be wierd having three texas pro football teams, three basketball teams, 3-4 Strong college teams, 2 baseball teams, a hockey teams, and two soccer teams (both of which are fighting for staduim space themselves) . OKC just has to many adv IMO long term, but San An is good choice as well.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

I see your point. I think it could go either way.

The Commander
    DIA

Rookie Poster

I really don't see NFL expansion as a choice in the near future. Right now 32 teams stands to be a pretty good number--an even distribution of divisions with a good amount of rivalry. Perhaps it might be better to consider which teams are destined to move, although that seems unlikely.

Oakland: if LA ever gets a stadium deal, the Raiders need to move back. They have been horrible for the past few years, and putting them back in LA would infuse a better fan base, even though I hear Oakland and LA don't get along well...

The league has talked about expanding pretty openly. The more markets they get into, the more money they make. What I really worry about is a weakening of talent. Those few that stand out now, I wonder if they would stand out as much if they were in a smaller league where overall playing ability was higher. The fewer slots you have open, the greater the competition. With greater competition, the cream of the crop is going to get picked and make the overall level of play higher.

LA wont get a team unless the Rose Bowl is the stadium....chalk it up to socio economics and logistics....simply put a day @ the game for a family of four is gonna cost you about 500.00 and theres not too many families in LA that can afford that AND desire to travel to S.Central LA to sit in the decrepit Coliseum....its a shithole situated in a shithole.

If the NFL expanded to Europe they would need to place franchise/big name players overseas similar to what the Galaxy did with Beckham.

Logistically the travel could be overcome with creative usage of bye weeks and tuesday and thursday game day scheduling.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by the commander
    The league has talked about expanding pretty openly. The more markets they get into, the more money they make. What I really worry about is a weakening of talent. Those few that stand out now, I wonder if they would stand out as much if they were in a smaller league where overall playing ability was higher. The fewer slots you have open, the greater the competition. With greater competition, the cream of the crop is going to get picked and make the overall level of play higher.
    Well said. The weakening of talent is why the NHL is so bad nowadays. I would almost argue the same for the NBA, but these are topics for a different sport posting.

And I don't see the NFL in Europe ever being marketable, even with old players moving to Europe. I don't think they would be that excited to lift anchor and go to a new country just to play football.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Los Angeles won't get a team because we're smart enough not to pay for a stadium rich owners can build themselves.

And yes, there are places in the city where one can be built...including Exposition Park. Keep the peristyle; tear down the rest of the stadium (and the Sports Arena as well). The Rose Bowl wouldn't work because the parking situation sucks. Plus access to the stadium is limited at best. At least the Coliseum has plenty of bus routes, adequate parking downtown, and a new train being built nearby.

The Lakers and Kings got their new arena. The Galaxy got their new stadium (and this is where the football stadium should have been built). The USC basketball team got their new arena (finally!). With the success of USC football over the years, they deserve a new stadium NEAR THE CAMPUS.

The neighborhood really isn't that bad. Hell, USC's been there since the late 1870s...and had plenty of opportunities to move away (like Pepperdine did). What really sucks is the fact USC (LA's pro team) might be playing in said Rose Bowl next year.

I wish O'Malley had built that football stadium up there by Dodger Stadium. Oh, well.

If the Coliseum Commision gave control of the stadium to USC, and they began to turn a profit with luxury suites and such, the NFL would probably be begging to return. But I'm not holding my breath. Twelve years and counting!

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

well with expansion you almost need to add 2 teams to make the schedule work else there is one team on bye every week.....this happened from 1999(added cleveland) till 2002(added houston). i remember the players saying they didn't like it. and i remember as a fantasy football player i didn't like it either.:P

think vegas and probably another team from the mid-west, some one said ok. city would be good places.

There is not a true market in Europe. Plus teams would complain about the travel delays etc etc. It all would just not work out to be cost effective. They MAY try - but it would most likely fail.