Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender and toys

Rookie Poster

Default Gender and toys

I am writing a paper for my gender and sexualities class and wondered what everyone thought.

I was curious how much does effect does toys have on gender? What do you think?

Default Re: Gender and toys

Quote Originally Posted by orbea847
    I am writing a paper for my gender and sexualities class and wondered what everyone thought.

I was curious how much does effect does toys have on gender? What do you think?
    Are we talking sex toys here? Or Matchbox cars and Barbie dolls (And yes, we've seen the pix of the Barbie dolss being used as sex toys, but that shouldn't count)?

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Rookie Poster

Default Gender and toys

Toys such as children toys sorry if there was any confusion

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

the effect may go both ways. i certainly think that the gender of child chooses the toys they play with and the toys shape the psyche of the child. parents and other toy buyers (aunts and uncles etc.) do a lot of choosing and shaping too. also the way the child learns to play with the toys she or he has. the "rules" of play are learned from other children...brothers, sisters and playmates from daycare, school and the neighborhood.

i chose stuffed animals, pink cd players, butterfly nets and microscropes in spite of the trove of toy guns i got every christmas and birthday.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Toys such as children toys sorry if there was any confusion
    No prob. Remember where you are.

I don't think the toys themselves have an affect, but there are some cases where gender affects what we play with (And certainly what our parents/other people gave us to play with).

From the male point of view, I grew up playing with the usual suspects: Matchbox cars, tools (And later power tools - My first being those cool miniatures in the bright yellow tool boxes with the battery packs), toy soldiers, etc. I recall dating some wimmin/dykes that had a fond affection for many of the same toys (And who collected such things as Matchbox cars and Craftsman tools in later life).

An observation: I spent some time with an intersexed individual a while back and he collected Breyer horses. He pointed out something that I wasn't aware of at the time, but have seen since, and that was that it was typically girls that collected 'toy' horses. As he was born predominately female, and only morphed to his male characteristics later in life, there is some supposition that this was more of a nurture vs. nature thing, but he truly adored those horses.

If you're up to it, please post your finished paper as I, for one, would be sincerely interested in reading your views.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

parents and other toy buyers (aunts and uncles etc.) do a lot of choosing and shaping too.
    So true. And riddle me this: Was not GI Joe the first truly 'gay' toy? I mean, c'mon, sure he looked tough and carried guns and machetes, but jeezlouise, we were pulling the pants off of a guy before we were ten years old.

also the way the child learns to play with the toys she or he has. the "rules" of play are learned from other children...brothers, sisters and playmates from daycare, school and the neighborhood.
    This can vary a lot by the child, as well. An only child, sans siblings, can develop exponentially askew of the kid next door that has a half-dozen brothers and sisters. To the next level are the ones that don't integrate into the society as a whole (Be it racial, intellectual, growth, etc. variations in their makeup).

i chose stuffed animals, pink cd players, butterfly nets and microscropes in spite of the trove of toy guns i got every christmas and birthday.
    Do you still have those guns? Can I have them? They'll put your eye out!

Rookie Poster

Default Gender and toys

I will do my best to post the paper, it is supposed to be 4-6 pages.

You bring up a good point about inter-sex. I recently saw a documentary Dr. Money and how he did studies on one child who had a horrid accident while getting circumcised. The boys parents took him to Dr. Money after they heard his lecture and Dr. Money preformed srs on the child. Dr. Money believed nurture would override nature.

However, when the youth entered puberty he knew he wasn't a girl. Dr. Money did report later on the faults that could have affected the outcome why nurture did not work.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    the effect may go both ways. i certainly think that the gender of child chooses the toys they play with and the toys shape the psyche of the child. parents and other toy buyers (aunts and uncles etc.) do a lot of choosing and shaping too. also the way the child learns to play with the toys she or he has. the "rules" of play are learned from other children...brothers, sisters and playmates from daycare, school and the neighborhood.

i agree with all of that so it saves me having to pluck a few thoughts from my mind..nice one trish

However, when the youth entered puberty he knew he wasn't a girl. Dr. Money did report later on the faults that could have affected the outcome why nurture did not work.
    Yah, this is a battle that rages on through many levels on this forum and beyond. My friend would frequently say "The doctors always guess wrong" when referring to the corrective surgery that often takes place on infants with ambiguos genital identity.

I don't even want to imagine "...a horrid accident while getting circumcised."

From a song written to commemorate the GRS of a friend of mine:

Like a super Moyel,
    He turned a boy into a goil...

Junior Poster

I will do my best to post the paper, it is supposed to be 4-6 pages.

You bring up a good point about inter-sex. I recently saw a documentary Dr. Money and how he did studies on one child who had a horrid accident while getting circumcised. The boys parents took him to Dr. Money after they heard his lecture and Dr. Money preformed srs on the child. Dr. Money believed nurture would override nature.

Whoa, are you saying some Moyle fucked up a circumcision so violently bad that the logical solution was to remove the sex organs entirely and hope the boy would live happily ever after as a Woman? Dr. Money can thank all his lucky stars I wasn't that boy, cause I'd fucking kill him.

Then I would go to prison and every inmate would be talking about the guy with a cunt. Fuck you just can't win in a situation like that.