Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Why dosen't science hold more peoples interest?

My mother , god bless her, says to me "Why do you watch that depressing stuff?" She says that whenever I am watching a TV show about science. Back in highschool I had an english teacher who had to do a little math on the board. 20-12. She got it wrong. Many many guys I know or have known think science is boring and dull just by it's nature.

Why is this?

I think it is because of the way science is presented in the earliest grades. It is presented as wrote recitation of facts from books that were written a long time ago. It is taught as something that lacks creativity, and freshness. It is taught as...trivia to be answered then forgotten and never used.

That way of teaching science bored me so much even I at one time was really sour on it.

This is such a diverse place. What I wonder is if people in other places in the USA and elsewhere had that experience?

Junior Poster

some parts of science fascinates me and some bores me to tears! im more interested in e.t life and that sort of stuff...i mean there are billions of galaxies and its alsmost certain that there is life goin on somewhere else but here....

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by cockcraver
    some parts of science fascinates me and some bores me to tears! im more interested in e.t life and that sort of stuff...i mean there are billions of galaxies and its alsmost certain that there is life goin on somewhere else but here....

Tell me have you ever read a book on so called exobioogy or astrobiology? One that's not technical or anything?

There sure is good reason to believe in ET life. But say that in many mainstream places and you will be looked upon as a fool, or nut. Say that in a school and you will be called disturbed or disruptive. The belive in ET life disturbs the status quo of religion and society. So people who bring up the possibility are discredited.

The same things happen in grade schools and high schools. Most of which are concerned with enforcing conformity not education. The free pursuit of inquiry and discovery just does not happen.

Junior Poster

[BrendaQG wrote:
    Tell me have you ever read a book on so called exobioogy or astrobiology?]

no i havent but ill def check them out

thanks

Professional Poster

I think it's the way it's taught and the background of the science teachers. (and teachers of other subjects in general.)

Most states require and education major to qualify to teach in their schools. That means most of science teachers are going to have a minored in the subject at best.

Two, a specialized science degree will generally land you a nice paying job in the private sector out of college. Only wealthy school districts/private schools can afford to compete for science majors who will also meet standards to be certified to teach.

Three,if a science major does have a yen to teach,there's a heck of a lot more money to be made on the college level. Stick around three more years get your PhD and go shopping for colleges w/ a fast tracke to making tenured prof.

With those factors alone you end up with a lot of half-assed science teachers in the secondary school system. Throw in the current anti-science bias rampant in this country w/ "No Child Left Behind" and you get watered down drivel being taught.

BTW,is it obvious that I'm the son of two long time teachers who bemoaned the decline of education in this country?

Ancient Pervert.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I blame colleges of education. K-12 teachers of science and mathematics used to be people who had degrees in science and mathematics. Now they have degrees in education. A typical math teacher has more courses on the child development, teaching tactics and strategies and courses on how specifically to teach science and mathematics than they have courses on science and mathematics. Modern teachers are in love with teaching, but few are in love with the subjects they teach. I’m sorry to vent, but this is a big problem with education in the U.S.

On a personal level I don’t understand why people don’t find the world fascinating. I look at a drop of viscious fluid falling through oil and wanna know why the fuck is it shaped like that!!! What exactly is that shape? Can I figure it out? Can we predict what’s going to happen to the shape when we change the weight of the oil or the viscosity of the drop? Of course I can sit hours in front of a lava lamp, my mind tumbling with questions and the wax tumbling through the convection currents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toroidalfilm_168.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	131754  

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

now i have to apologize immediately. there are lot's of dedicated and wonderful teachers out there. and as far as i know TJT's parents are among the best. again...i'm venting...pay me no mind.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

Don't sweat it,the folks were ranting about the way things in education were going until they went to their reward.

Both were principals late in their careers. They were getting a stream of imbeciles coming out of colleges w/ education degrees looking for teaching jobs.

Someone with a major in field "x" wanting to teach in public schools would have to put in another 4 years getting an education degree. It was and is ridiculous.

Ancient Pervert.

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

well, being that I'm curently schooling for my masters in Chem. Engineering, i can often see why people get bored with science. Often times sciences teachers dont present the topics with much passion to begin with, plus, some of the stuff is quite hard to grasp, and many people dont like things they dont understand. If i tried to explain what my major is to a new acquaintance I usually get blank and confused stares. Personally, when i was growing up, i always liked finding out how things were made, and how they worked, so I naturally gravitated to sciences and math. But overall, its how you present a topic thats key during the early stages. Just look at sesame street. They make learning one letter lok like a day at the amusment park to a 2 year old.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

Professional Poster

people like to to be told things versus searching for truth..did jesus give em fishes or teach em to fish...kids need to be energized by science...seeing things passionately and as a explanatory story of our surroundings...i agree trish i always like to "ponder" but it seems theses days the youth only want to consume....iphone,ipod,textmessage,paris hilton derived shoppin techniques.................