Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

JFC
    too many predetermined ideas

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TopHeavyCutie
    Oprah has no idea what we the trans people go through.
    How would she?

Unless you are a TS or have close relationships with a TS how would anyone have a clue?

I don't get why her showing some compassion and trying to relate is a bad thing.

I think some people on here were ready to vilify Oprah before the show even aired.

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mami-Liiciouz
    i think its new, featuring someone i know angelika [khan].
    wait...you know angelika? she's like my little sister! she's a sweetheart through and through. love her.

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

oh. and it was a new show. i ws supposed to be there, but couldn't make it.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    Oprah is one of those people who tries to push thier ideological views on you and it that doesnt work she buys you a car to like her.
    Heck, if ANYONE buys me a new car I will do MORE than just like them, until the warranty runs out...

Giggle,
    TS Jamie

A GF called me to watch it but I couldn't find it on our TV anywhere.

Junior Poster

Oprah is human like anyone else. She can be judgmental at times, but at least she seeks understanding and healthy debate (i.e the hip-hop and it's impact on culture show). She's not like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter, who just seek to tear people down and feel their way of dogmatic thinking is the only way to think. At least she isn't like Jerry Springer or Maury Povich, who'll exploit transsexual taboos for ratings. Springer is worst, because he'll ask a guy dating or sleeping with a TS, how long have you known you were gay? WTF! I'm definitely not attracted to men or masculinity, so that type of thinking is null and void. I'm sure 3 out of 4 guys on HA would agree.

I also agree with a prior poster, that many people have animosity towards Oprah because of her race and gender. I've never seen somebody who does so much to help other people of all races, get so maligned in my life. Do you know how many white men who have become millionaires off the strength of Oprah, starting with that egomaniac Dr.Phil, who made 30 million dollars last year with his show, books etc. Imagine a black women carrying on like Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh or even Ann Coutler for that matter. She'd be vilified to no end. Conservative black women have to be docile and accommodating like Condeelza Rice to get mainstream acceptance, among the right wing establishment.

I'm a black male and do watch her sometimes, when she addresses issues important to any thinking American, be it the sorry state of our educational system, poverty, racism, sexism, terrorism, the Iraq war, the prison industrial complex, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and tons of other important issues. She had a show with Michael Moore the day before, talking about his documentary "Sicko", dealing with the failings of the U.S healthcare system. It's an excellent movie by the way. I'm a little peeved she didn't do a show on the Jena 6 case, which is a travesty of justice. The mainstream media, with the exception of CNN just ignored it or reported half of the story, to make the black teenagers look like they picked the fight they were arrested for. However, all in all, I'm down with anybody trying to do something positive, to bring some level of parity in this society.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by stillies77

I think this sums my thoughts up nicely.
    That's an awesome GIF! Looks like his e-meter went haywire whilst trying to audit Oprah. To think, I thought she was an OT

Junior Poster

Maybe I should join the audience. I could always use a new car.

At least she's not doing so many celebrity schmooz fest shows so far this season. I stopped watching her for about a year because I got sick of the celebrity butt kissing. But, as long as she's doing positive shows about the transgender community that's all that matters. I watched the show and I thought she did a great job, she's doing another on October 12th.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeHova
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHeavyCutie
    Oprah has no idea what we the trans people go through.
    How would she?

Unless you are a TS or have close relationships with a TS how would anyone have a clue?

I don't get why her showing some compassion and trying to relate is a bad thing.

I think some people on here were ready to vilify Oprah before the show even aired.
    I like Oprah, though I don't often get a chance to catch her show.

She comes across as genuine, compassionate, and empathetic.

But a caveat that I would proffer to all talking heads, try to be familiar
    with your subject matter, before the guest or the topic is on your show.
    Do your homework. Now I relaize that often-times they are merely
    asking the questions that the mainstream wants answered, but sometimes
    I would like them to go a little deeper on the topic.

Guess I have to stick to PBS, if that's what I seek.