Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Default The Unit: Season 3

Hands down, no question, no debate possible, the best show currently on television. Season premier: 10 stars out of 10. I have not yet seen a bad episode of this show.

That was fuckin awesome! David Mamet is a genius, and it looks like a great season is starting.

Junior Poster

Default Re: The Unit: Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by hondarobot
    Hands down, no question, no debate possible, the best show currently on television. Season premier: 10 stars out of 10. I have not yet seen a bad episode of this show.

That was fuckin awesome! David Mamet is a genius, and it looks like a great season is starting.

My understanding is that Mamet actually has very little to do with the show and most of the work is done by the creator and producer of the Shield. I haven't been able to really get into it though. I've watched a couple of episodes and tend to find the scenes with the wives on the base dull. Compared to the work being done on the shield it just not on the same level.

David Mamet writes, produces, directs, films, and through cgi effects, performs every role in every episode of The Unit himself. He even handles the catering, but since he's the only guy on the set, this generally just involves him eating a sandwich.

Seriously though, it appears we have different opinions on this matter. I can't get through an episode of The Shield, but to each their own.

The Unit rules!

Junior Poster

David Mamet writes, produces, directs, films, and through cgi effects, performs every role in every episode of The Unit himself. He even handles the catering, but since he's the only guy on the set, this generally just involves him eating a sandwich.

Seriously though, it appears we have different opinions on this matter. I can't get through an episode of The Shield, but to each their own.
    What don't you like about the Shield? What do you like about the Unit? Curious to see where you're coming from on this. Admittedly, as I said, I haven't seen a huge amount of the Unit but out of what I've seen there was only one episode I really like (perhaps because it was tonally similiar to the Shield), it was the one there the team is being tested on their ability to withstand torture as prisoners. So they're in a mock prisoner camp and their superiors are trying to break them using nastier and less acceptable methods.

Junior Poster

Just for the record, I agree that it's just a difference of opinions. I wasn't saying that the Unit sucked or was bad, just that I personally couldn't get into it.

I'd say that the writing, characters (and actors), stories, settings, the whole basic premise of every single episode has been top notch. The over all story arch is awesome as well. I actually don't mind the domestic scenes either, because that adds several layers to the whole deal.

Why don't I like The Shield? I don't enjoy police dramas (and I know it's more then that), and I didn't click with any characters in the episodes I've seen. I also don't feel like working through all the past episodes to catch up at this point.

But back to The Unit. I've posted the last couple years on this forum about this series, and my opinions on things haven't changed. I thought this show was going to suck when I first heard about, but I honestly love this show now. It's my favorite and I never miss an episode. Check out the DVD sets, it's definately worth it, and it keeps getting better.

People like different things for different reasons, I suppose.

Junior Poster

I'd say that the writing, characters (and actors), stories, settings, the whole basic premise of every single episode has been top notch. The over all story arch is awesome as well. I actually don't mind the domestic scenes either, because that adds several layers to the whole deal.

Why don't I like The Shield? I don't enjoy police dramas (and I know it's more then that), and I didn't click with any characters in the episodes I've seen. I also don't feel like working through all the past episodes to catch up at this point.

But back to The Unit. I've posted the last couple years on this forum about this series, and my opinions on things haven't changed. I thought this show was going to suck when I first heard about, but I honestly love this show now. It's my favorite and I never miss an episode. Check out the DVD sets, it's definately worth it, and it keeps getting better.

People like different things for different reasons, I suppose.
    I think that possibly our difference of opinion may come from when we started watching the show. I've watched the Shield since the first episode while you've watched Unit in the same way and so have a built up affection/interest for the characters that someone just popping wouldn't have. case in point, the finale of the 5th season of the shield is in my opinion the greatest episode of any television series ever but without seeing all the episodes that came before it the average viewer probably would not feel the same way.

That was not a great episode. I didn't like the part were Betty Blue asks about what VX nerve gas is. He would know that. Didn't like the cliche tech geek character (although the part where he's running the Cat5 spool across the room was kinda funny, and accurate).

The whole conclusion was an easy call: stall the plane. Actually, I would have (if I had piloting skills) either used my planes landing gear to contact/disrupt the other planes propeller, or run my propeller into the targets rudder, then landed my obviously damaged plane as a glider. Not being a pilot, I don't know if that would work or not, but it seems to make sense.

Still, I'm sticking with this show. This just was just not the best episode. You take the good with the bad.

I agree, it was a so-so episode...