Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    Sometime in the last century, when I was driving a cab (Hacking, before hacking became...well...hacking), I pulled up to a corner store to get some coffee. Used my turn signals, checked my mirrors, etc. (I am =very= good at what I do) and as I threw the shift lever to PARK there was a loud *BANG* at the back of the cab.

Not sure what he was looking at as he was barrelling down the boulevard, but a morning cyclist had to be scraped off the rear widnow of my cab. He was OK, just a bit shaken and rather embarrassed at having not seen this big, brightly colored car in front of him in the parking lane.
    I had an unusual cycling accident about 30 years back. I was biking down Mass Ave by MIT when I was run over....by a pedestrian. Yeah, this guy bolted across the street and ran right into me, spilling us both on the pavement. I think he saw no cars coming, but failed to note the cyclist bearing down on him.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    So, yah, I too expected a Johnny rant.
    Likewise, but I figured Peggy covered this....

I'm one of those cycleist types. I have about about 4 mountain bikes at the moment; my personal bike, my back-up bike, and 2 I'm in the process of rebuilding.

I bike at least 3 miles a day to and from work, and, thanks to an excellent trail system we have here, I manage* to stay off ot the roads for the most part.
    If I do find myself on a highway, however, in the shoulder going AGAINST traffic is my preferred tactic. That way, I can see what's coming at me and get the f*ck out of the way if need be. It's saved my ass more than once.

*edit: one too many vowels.

Looking for an exciting, recession-proof career opportunity??
    click here

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

ok simmer down folks

Quote Originally Posted by peggygee
    Johnny, why do I get a sense that this is leading up
    to a rant about cyclists blocking traffic, or that you
    have hit someone on a bike?

actually it's not a rant, I love mountain biking, the only reason I don't ride a road bike is because the ones I am interested in are anywhere from $5-6k

Quote Originally Posted by mbf
    yes, I do own a Mountain Bike and I do use it.

thing is, if I walk, I bitch about cyclists and drivers of cars.

if I am on my bike, I bitch about pedestrians and drivers of cars.

if I am driving my car, I bitch about pedestrians and cyclists
    you are not alone

currently I am lightening up my MTB, going for newer Shimano XTR components and alot more carbon fiber

glad to know I'm not alone as far as cycling goes on here, that's cool

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    actually it's not a rant, I love mountain biking, the only reason I don't ride a road bike is because the ones I am interested in are anywhere from $5-6k
    I hear ya, JW. My Bottecchia, in its day, was a world class bike ("champione del mundo, 1967-68-69" iirc), all Campy components. The equivalent bike today would run 5-6k. I couldn't afford that, but had to finally replace it (frame is slightly bent from an accident, plus it's actually a bit too large for me, something I could accommodate when I was younger but not now). So I bought my Bianchi Volpe in 2005 for what I could afford at the time (about $800--it was more important for my wife to buy a new VW Jetta). A compromise, but a decent bike and sufficient for my needs at the age of *cough* 55.

A friend of mine a year later bought a $4500 bike, I believe a Trek Madone, a wonder to ride in every way.

Rookie Poster

Both, MTB and Road... both TREK

Olenka Paola

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

i used to ride a trek carbon bike, loved the light weight

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Is this the bike you're talking about? Haha. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheelsp_350.gif 
Views:	426 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	128609  

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

JWBL...I live in Colorado...you've goota have an MTB or they force you to move to FLA. I'm with ya on the cost of good bikes, though. $5-6K is definitely something to rant about. My budget won't allow that absolutely rediculous indulgence. but, unless you are a tri-athlete, or something along that line, a bike at $500 or less is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by CORVETTEDUDE
    JWBL...I live in Colorado...you've gotta have an MTB or they force you to move to FLA. I'm with ya' on the cost of good bikes, though. $5-6K is definitely something to rant about. My budget won't allow that absolutely rediculous indulgence. Unless you are a Tri-athlete, hardcore Mountain Rider, or something along that line, a bike at $500 or less is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by CORVETTEDUDE
    but, unless you are a tri-athlete, or something along that line, a bike at $500 or less is more than adequate.
    The difference between a $1000 and a $1500 bike is not that great--it's more a matter of which feels better to you, which fits your body and riding style. But a $500 bike is a compromise, no two ways about it. Test ride a $500 bike and a $1000 bike and you'll see a big difference, much bigger than between $1000 and $1500 or even, I daresay, between $1000 and $3000-4000. When you get that rarified, unless you're an athletic cyclist, I doubt that you really have the physique to appreciate the differences, as they are ever more incremental.