Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why isn't your avatar a pic of you?

I know that there are many reasons a person might not use a pic of themselves in their avatar, ranging from being afraid someone they know might see it here and they'd thus be outed as being attracted to transsexuals, to simply not having a pic to put up and not thinking it worth the bother to do so.

What I want to know is why it is, if you don't have a pic of yourself up, that you don't. I know this has been talked about a bit before, but it seems this is an issue that is frequently brought up by different girls, and I just want to find out what people who operate incognito have to say on the matter.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Okay, so with so many people wanting to get things started, I've belatedly come to put my two cents in...

I've sent my pic to a few people here, but have never put up a pic publicly due to the fact that I don't see it being a smart move for a number of reasons. The primary reason is that, like my address, it's not something I feel everybody and their mother ought to have access to. The people I enjoy communicating with largely know what I look like, and if I am comfortable enough with other people, I have no problem sharing a pic. However, what purpose would it serve for me to put a pic out there for all and sundry? Surely we've all seen people make that move only to have it quickly become something they regret. That's why so many people say that they once put a pic up and won't do it again, proof positive that it's something you might want to think about before you make that move.

Now, some will say that they put their pics out there, and therefore everyone else should do the same. That's like saying that because you enjoy smoking Winstons, everybody else should smoke Winstons. No, I will smoke my Newports, thank you. When it comes to making decisions on what I want to do and what I don't want to do, I'm the one who will make those decisions; I won't be led along by what the majority has decided. And that, in a nutshell, is my reasoning for not posting a public pic. So... anyone else want to say something, or shall we just let this thread die?

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

I've heard different ladies say they think most guys who don't have a pic here don't have one because they don't want somebody they know to find out they're a member of a transsexual forum. I'd bet that's true in a large percentage of cases.

And that's another good reason.

I am darn ugly. thats why I keep you humle and brave souls out there in HA-land from experiencing an optical shock which is inevitably if I used a pic of my trainwreck-face as an avatar.

instead, I ve chosen one that is very close to my real self.

former secretary of state, Henry Kissinger, inspecting some yet unknown blonde territory

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

the mystery of the double post

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Quote Originally Posted by mbf
    I am darn ugly. thats why I keep you humle and brave souls out there in HA-land from experiencing an optical shock which is inevitably if I used a pic of my trainwreck-face as an avatar.
    Certainly another good reason! mbf, while that's funny as hell, I don't know if you meant it to be. Regardless, I'm sure it's not half as bad as you think.

Veteran Poster

I would if I could --but I don't know how ---

In a pyromantic way
    I'm her slave

living for her to ignite --

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    I would if I could --but I don't know how ---
    Ditto...

God save me from stupid people...

Are you guys serious? I mean, really? C'mon...