Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Police are shitbags by and large. And this coming from a CJ major.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder
    Oh really? So that makes you an expert? STFU

As a fireman, I work with the CPD and Illinois State Troopers every day so I have first hand knowledge that the VAST MAJORITY of coppers are hard working people who do a thankless job. What the f*ck is wrong with this country when the police are reviled and criminals are revered? Go back to your ivory tower jerkoff. Mahalo

Matt

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BBaggins06

As a fireman, I work with the CPD and Illinois State Troopers every day so I have first hand knowledge that the VAST MAJORITY of coppers are hard working people who do a thankless job. What the f*ck is wrong with this country when the police are reviled and criminals are revered? Go back to your ivory tower jerkoff. Mahalo

Matt
    This is a country where people can have something called an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend

Matt
    This is a country where people can have something called an opinion.
    Well, he didn't say that was his opinion, rather it looked like he was making a declarative statement. And anyways libelous statements like that aren't protected. And another thing, how is that statement any different from saying something like "Tranny chasers are diseased douchebags for the most part." Mahalo

Matt

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

Matt
    I think what it is, all the bad stuff that happens with cops- even if it is no where near being in the majority, it has a more lasting effect. Every time someone hears, sees, or experiences blatant abuses of power or misconduct, they're going to have a harder and harder time seeing the good things cops do.

People have, notably, become desensitized to alot of these misconduct stories as time has gone on. What causes an outcry yesterday probably wouldn't be noticed at all today. I doubt the King incident would have resulted in riots if it occurred today and if it occurred somewhere outside of california.

Of course, it doesn't help that most of these stories usually get buried and never find widespread media coverage.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2004-...afternoon/full

Are most cops good? Probably, but it becomes a moot point if the few bad ones that do exist, get free range without proper oversight, and without a legal system willing to act to ensure innocent parties aren't falsely held to punishments for crimes that either did not exist, or did not exist as was accused.

How many times has someone been cited for speeding, in a case of she said, cop said, without any evidence whatsoever to present to the system proving the infraction occurred... all the while allowing the citation to stand in the verdict?

It is like that all the way up to the very top in severity of crimes. If we really cared about who really did a given crime, and who really was falsely accused, would we ever have a murder trial lasting under 3 days (including jury deliberations)? Would we have the same (lack of) standards in whom we use as jurors, in terms of education, and intelligence?

I don't say this as a hater, I have a great many friends in law enforcement... oddly they are more cynical about the system than I am, and not always in a "we let all the bad people go free on the streets" lens that seems to prevail.

Professional Poster

Your not the only one who has worked with the police, but i see i must have touched a nerve lol....

I think you protest a bit too much.. Who said criminals are revered??? The COPS are the fucking criminals as well nowadays. Illinois is a little isolated shit city....Try spreading that crap around NYC, DC, LA, PHL, or Miami and see what people say.

As a liaison between the juvenile crimes division in philadelphia and montgomery county children and youth, By and large the police, social workers and parole officers are little better then the criminals there supposed to be apprehending....and dont you think its a little fucked up that a corrupt government is the decision maker on who gets to be labeled a "criminal" in the first place???

Yeah okay....Try telling it to someone who hasnt been down and dirty in the field Mr. Fireman. My Ivory Tower is located right at the block at Susquehanna and Dauphin....

sheesh...

Well, he didn't say that was his opinion, rather it looked like he was making a declarative statement. And anyways libelous statements like that aren't protected. And another thing, how is that statement any different from saying something like "Tranny chasers are diseased douchebags for the most part." Mahalo

Matt
    For his statement to have been libel it would have had to have been a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of the individual or group. Saying someone is a shitbag can only be considered an opinion, unless you think he was literally saying they were a sack full of excrement. Statements of opinion are NEVER libelous. Neither are statements that are truthful. And given the context of this thread, a person charged with a crime for an overly salty fast food burger, the cop doing that charging was a shitbag and any cop or other member of the law enforcement community who backed him in that is one too. If you get a bad burger, you complain at the restaurant, you don't tip, or you don't go to that restaurant anymore. That makes them a bad cook, not a criminal.

by the way, saying someone is diseased is a statement of fact, not opinion, and is considered to be slander or libel per se, a special category where the victim doesn't have to prove any damages. Thats how its different.

FK

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

First someone cries about McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee, now this? Is this really the world we live in?

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade
    First someone cries about McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee, now this? Is this really the world we live in?
    Regrettably, we are left in a time & place with few statesmen and merely endless supplies of career politicians, lawyers and special interests filling the role of Catiline.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt

Matt
    For his statement to have been libel it would have had to have been a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of the individual or group. Saying someone is a shitbag can only be considered an opinion, unless you think he was literally saying they were a sack full of excrement. Statements of opinion are NEVER libelous. Neither are statements that are truthful. And given the context of this thread, a person charged with a crime for an overly salty fast food burger, the cop doing that charging was a shitbag and any cop or other member of the law enforcement community who backed him in that is one too. If you get a bad burger, you complain at the restaurant, you don't tip, or you don't go to that restaurant anymore. That makes them a bad cook, not a criminal.

by the way, saying someone is diseased is a statement of fact, not opinion, and is considered to be slander or libel per se, a special category where the victim doesn't have to prove any damages. Thats how its different.

FK
    Well said FK. Thanks for the explanation.

DGTL

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."