Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

More:

http://www.gendertalk.com/info/resou...bt-youth.shtml

Transgender Resources (& much more)
    A guide to some of the best gender- and activist-related resources
    All listed sites have been reviewed by GenderTalk staff
    Click here to suggest a resource
    Sorry, NO dating, sex play, or fantasy sites
    Updated April, 2007
    GLBT Youth
    Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network Works with school officials to ensure that transgender, gay and lesbian students are not harassed or bullied.

Olweus Bullying Prevention Program A comprehensive, school-wide program designed for use in elementary, middle, or junior high schools to reduce and prevent bullying problems among school children and to improve peer relations at school. The Olweus Program has been implemented in more than one dozen countries around the world including the US.

Family Acceptance Project "A community research, intervention and training initiative to study the impact of family acceptance and rejection on the health, mental health and well-being of lesbian, gay and bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth."

National Youth Advocacy Coalition National GLBT youth advocacy organization

Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere A support and advocacy organization for daughters and sons of LGBT parents. Extensive resources.

Youth Resources Support for GLBT youth, providing extensive resources.

Unity Through Diversity Focuses on Gay Youth and School issues along with BLGT issues.

GLBT Youth - Regional

Project 10 A Los Angeles Unified School District program that offers technical and educational support to schools and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students.

Project 10 East "Works to create and sustain safe space in schools and communities where young people can experience mutual respect with a focus on personal excellence, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation or the perception thereof."

Sexual Minority Youth Assistance League Washington, DC metro area service organization solely dedicated to supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth.

Boston Alliance of Gay & Lesbian Youth In the Boston area, provides weekly and monthly social activities and special events for LGBTQ people ages 22 and under.

Hetrick Martin Institute A social services agency for transgender and gay youth in New York City. Also runs the Harvey Milk High School, a public school for LGBT youth.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hondarobot
    Make gym class optional. I'm serious. I'm willing to bet gym/the locker room is where most GLBT kids have the most trouble in school. It may sound trivial, but I think that's a big issue. I remember seeing horrible things done to other kids in high school.
    I used to dread gym class. I was sexually under developed, like I didn't get body or pubic hair until I was going into my senior year (then it was so icky I shaved it surreptitiously).

I used to wear my gym shorts under my regular clothes so I didn't have to undress or I'd change in the toilet stalls.

Plus I was lousy at sports. I hated PE. It was like "pick the faggot last" and I absolutely hated "shirts and skins." I missed something like 110 days of school my junior year, mainly because of PE. (And believe it or not I graduated like #365 in a class of 900.) I majored in smoking pot and sex with pedophiles...

I think PE is necessary for kids - it's bad enough they spend all their time online. BUT I think there need to be options for those who don't feel comfortable in the traditional format.

Best,
    TS Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by justatransgirl
    I'm a little late getting here but I think the primary ghist of attempts to open high schools to TS or GLBT protections and civil rights will have to come through negociations with the administration and districts, and possible lawsuits.

Colleges are different, the students are adults, and Transgender 101 seminars are accepted. But minor students are different and are often accompanied as we saw at Duke University by bigoted, often fanatically religious parents, and attempts at forming GLBT Alliance clubs are often met with major resistance.

I think we could prevail as a Transgender Civil Rights Movement, is opening schools to equal protections so things like the Duke University thing doesn't continue.

So that young trans kids from elementary on up don't have to hold their pee all day long because they are afraid to use the bathroom. So that they are not attacked or called homophobic terms, etc.

I think perhaps our "job" is to "educate" the educators, so they can then educate the students.

I think we need to educate the legistators so they can enact the laws we need. The People will follow.

More later, I'm sure.

Giggle,
    TS Jamie
    Some cities and their schools may be more receptive than others. Some
    may welcome with open arms, and some may have to be threatened with
    lawsuits and bad PR.

From Jen's initial post I got the sense that her previous high school
    would be open to the idea.

I so this will help her to be armed with information to present to the
    students, and faculty.

5 Star Poster

PS - Holy Smokes Peggy - where do you find such amazing information?

I'm going to save the last page for reference. Suggest everyone else interested does too.

PSS - Best wishes Jen on your trip! Also - you know some GLBT Centers have TG 101 program guides you can use. I believe the TG Law Center and or PFLAG in Orange County, CA have Power Point presentations available, or did. I'm not sure.

Hugs,
    TS Jamie

Rookie Poster

Default Re: Implementing LGBT programs in High Schools

Quote Originally Posted by tsntx
    what can be done when you are no longer enrolled?

i have other questions but i cant think of them atm my mind is having a huge brain fart... anyway this is kinda serious and means a lot to me... -j
    I have a family member that has worked in the GLBT community for years. As I recall, she approached a former school teacher under the auspices of PFLAG and arranged to go to the school and give a workshop.

The workshop was for teachers only which helped to keep it from becoming a hot button, makes the newspaper kind of issue. The idea was that teachers needed to hear first hand about what it is like for GLBT students in the jungle of high school.

From what I understand, it was very well received and many teachers expressed that this was the first time that they had heard (and understood) how it could be - both good and bad.

Good luck!

Fox

Junior Poster

LGBT?

Quote Originally Posted by Master_A
    LGBT?
    GLBT

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered

Quote Originally Posted by tsntx
    ty for all the links peggy ive got a pile of crap im going through but these are gonna help a lot -j
    You're most welcome.

I hope to have some more info for
    you.

You can pick and chose and boil it
    down to meet your needs.

Junior Poster

oh, thought it was that, never seen it backwards.

sounds stupid to me, i mean how do you have a support group and not make it so everyone in the school knows they are gay or what ever.

dont know about you lot over there, but all our school have a shrink you can talk to, so why have group support.

i mean shit theres support groups for every damn thing these days, what ever happened to having balls (so to speak) and sorting your own shit out, makes you tougher.

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Master_A
    oh, thought it was that, never seen it backwards.

sounds stupid to me, i mean how do you have a support group and not make it so everyone in the school knows they are gay or what ever.

dont know about you lot over there, but all our school have a shrink you can talk to, so why have group support.

i mean shit theres support groups for every damn thing these days, what ever happened to having balls (so to speak) and sorting your own shit out, makes you tougher.
    By that line of reasoning, why even allow for schools? Little kids haven't learned to read or write yet? Too damn bad, Tough It Out