Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5 Star Poster

Nothing new about this.

I cosign with Justatransgirl. Getting hormones, getting most other cosmetic surgeries, etc should requier basically no psychological intervention. However SRS is a BIG deal. It cannot be reversed or undone in any way. If you are not 110% sure you need srs to be happy you should not have it. Such is why the SOC's exist, and years of psychotherapy are called for. Including years of living as female before having the surgery.

Where the problems arise is that there are so many people who complain to high heaven about the SOC's and the gatekeepers who only wan "sterotypical girls" etc. etc.

You know people who generally want to get SRS done before hormones, hairremoval, voice or anything else.

Then they trade tips on what doctors and psych's will let them bypass the SOC's. OR they just happen to luck into such a lax doctor or psych, they match certain sterotypes, and they get to easy of a pass to SRS.

We need responsible gatekeeping, just how to accomplish that I don't know.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    Nothing new about this.

I cosign with Justatransgirl. Getting hormones, getting most other cosmetic surgeries, etc should requier basically no psychological intervention. However SRS is a BIG deal. It cannot be reversed or undone in any way. If you are not 110% sure you need srs to be happy you should not have it. Such is why the SOC's exist, and years of psychotherapy are called for. Including years of living as female before having the surgery.

Where the problems arise is that there are so many people who complain to high heaven about the SOC's and the gatekeepers who only wan "sterotypical girls" etc. etc.

You know people who generally want to get SRS done before hormones, hairremoval, voice or anything else.

Then they trade tips on what doctors and psych's will let them bypass the SOC's. OR they just happen to luck into such a lax doctor or psych, they match certain sterotypes, and they get to easy of a pass to SRS.

We need responsible gatekeeping, just how to accomplish that I don't know.
    I emphatically agree that people contemplating GRS perform all
    the prerequisite work prior to genital surgery. Electrolysis, HRT,
    largyneal scraping, FFS, etc should all come before GRS.

While I feel that the Bejamin Standards Of Care (SoC's) are very
    useful guidlines, tranwomen, and their healthcare providers
    should be aware of them, the reality is that unless you are going
    through a insurance company, or socialized medicine, they aren''t
    always rigidly adhered to.

Today with the Internet, porous borders, international travel, and
    more doctors willing to perform cosmetic procedures, there are many
    ways around them.

Basically the genie is out of the bottle, and people do not want the
    medical establishment playing God with their gender choices.

This shouldn't mean that we become our own doctors, and adopt
    physician heal thy self' as our mantra, but more people are
    becoming part of their healthcare team, and impacting their healthcare
    decisions.

However, much like the adage about someone who has themself as
    a lawyer, then they have a fool for a client, we need to exercise due
    diligence, and be informed and educated.

Rookie Poster

What utter rubbish.

This Claudia MacLean, should first admit that its her mistake.
    The responsibility was primarily hers, since the operation was happening on her.
    Ofcourse ppl responsible for counselling also have something to blame.

But tomorrow, if I am convinced htat I need an SRS, simply because I like to cross dress, and then after the SRS, I realise that this is not what I want - I would be the one to blame.

And this Julie Bindel, seems to be just a rabble monger. Extending her logic, cosmetic surgery should also be prohibited. Since, you are changing the way you were born or meant to be.

Oh, crap, she should also start ranting against ppl goign to gym. Well ppl workout in order to change their natural shape. Isn't it? Thats bad ... ppl deciding what they want - and trying to do things to become what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG

There are always risks. Its by the grace of probability that we don't get randomly struck down by lightning or run over by a bus merely by leaving our homes (and by staying in our homes; having it collapse on us in our sleep).
    statistically in the western hemisphere your own bed is the most dangerous place on earth. most people die in those

now back to the topic

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by justatransgirl

In my transition I've been amazed by the number of ts girls who know virtually NOTHING about what they are doing. They have never read the SOC. They know nothing about hormones beyond the standard internet doses. They cannot read blood work. Many had never had any therapy explorations. On and on.
    Not everyone can afford bloodwork and therapy. I can barely afford food.