Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Duke University TG

Parents of some Duke University students responded with outrage when they found a transgender m to f was staying in an all girls dorm. Everyone's referring to the person as a "male" who was planning on getting SRS, so I don't know what his status was. But surely he wasn't just some guy in drag if he was close to having the surgery.
    What's the big deal? What am I missing here?
    Duke moved the student to a dorm with a private bathroom to avoid problems.
    Some people need to get a life.

Junior Poster

That typa shit pisses me off to no end!

But ya know.....Trans people will keep fighting it till something gets done. Just like with civil rights or anything else of that nature. People will come around. If not sooner or later.

*sigh*

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Duke Transgender Student Moved Out of Dorm

By Gilbert Baez
    (08/28/07 -- DURHAM) - Some students at Duke University and their parents say they were shocked by a decision to let a male student who plans to become a woman live in female dorm.

The University changed its plans, but not before one outraged parent in Fayetteville talked exclusively with Eyewitness News reporter Gilbert Baez.
    Lee Chauncey lives in Fayetteville, but his daughter is a senior at Duke University in Durham. He was shocked last week after moving her into Craven Hall B to find out what he calls disturbing news.

"They called an urgent meeting for people on the floor telling them it was going to be something that affected the way they lived throughout the year," Chauncey explained.

Students were told a male student, who was going to have sexual reassignment surgery in coming months would be living as a female in the dorm. Chauncey immediately called Duke leaders. "I told him that if I was coming across as concerned I wasn't communicating properly... I was outraged," the concerned father said.

Chauncey says he doesn't have a problem with transgenders. He just doesn't think it's appropriate for an individual who right now is still a man  to live in a dorm like a woman. "And would be using the facilities for the women," Chauncey questioned. "Shower and bathroom facilities and the individual would have a key."

Leaders at Duke refused an on-camera interview and said they've resolved the issue by moving the male student into another dorm with a private bathroom.

Chauncey is glad the student has been moved, but he wishes the University would have made that the first option.

Quote Originally Posted by sucka4chix
    Parents of some Duke University students responded with outrage when they found a transgender m to f was staying in an all girls dorm. Everyone's referring to the person as a "male" who was planning on getting SRS, so I don't know what his status was. But surely he wasn't just some guy in drag if he was close to having the surgery.
    What's the big deal? What am I missing here?
    Duke moved the student to a dorm with a private bathroom to avoid problems.
    Some people need to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Falrune
    Thank you both so much for this information.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

what do students expect when they sign up for CRAVEN hall?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

At Duke, Boys will be boys, but girls better not be.

Pretty sad that being a drunken jock hiring and mistreating strippers is acceptable, and simply being transgendered is not

FK

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    At Duke, Boys will be boys, but girls better not be.

Pretty sad that being a drunken jock hiring and mistreating strippers is acceptable, and simply being transgendered is not

FK
    Years back I lived in North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). I also
    worked in the research triangle, and while I always valued the academia
    of Duke, I just never cared for the place.

Now UNC at Chapel Hill, that brings back fond memories as does some
    of the historically Black colleges of the area.