Thread: Gonzo is Gonzo

Junior Poster

Default Gonzo is Gonzo

(...)Earlier this month, at a news conference, Mr. Bush dismissed accusations that Mr. Gonzales had stonewalled or misled a congressional inquiry. “We’re watching a political exercise,” Mr. Bush said. “I mean, this is a man who has testified, he’s sent thousands of papers up there. There’s no proof of wrong.”

Mr. Gonzales’s resignation is the latest in a series of high-level departures that has reshaped the end of Mr. Bush’s second term. Karl Rove, another of Mr. Bush’s close circle of aides from Texas, stepped down two weeks ago.(...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/27/wa...in&oref=slogin

... now, send him to Gitmo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guantanamo_21_955.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	118966  

Professional Poster

I'm glad he's on his way out. I haven't been a happy with him ever since he used legalesse to side step the anti-torture wording of Geneva. It is a black spot on our country, and diminished our ability to take any moral stand internationally.

What he's done to the DOJ we can only guess. More will come out after this administration leaves office.

Alright Then.

Platinum Poster

Shrubya is hoping that the corruption problems in regards to his former Texas execution czar and AG will now go away. I just hope that the weak-kneed dems on the hill don't let that happen.

Did you catch the chimp's "dragged through the mud" remark?

That fucking asshole has absolutely no shame, and neither does his soon- to-be lawnboy gonzalez...among others.

Where is John Hinckley when we really need him?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Platinum Poster

"By the way, I have a pet theory about Alberto Gonzales: I've always believed that the reason the President called Gonzales Fredo was that when they first met, Bush incorrectly believed that Gonzales' first name was Alfredo, and Gonzales was too much of a toady to correct him. "
    -Nora Ephron

"I honestly thought nothing was going to happen to Fredo as long as Barbara Bush stayed alive."
    -Larry Gelbart

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Should've happened sooner.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

i heard these guys on npr today discussing the ramifications of this gonzogate at the doj..interesting and sad for american law really...and more will come after the executive priv.wears out..and the presidential papers become public...they also mention that rove had wanted to get gonzo to later run as a governor or senator for texas..rove always wanted to turn the large hispanic voting block as a way to make the republican hold on the future more secure..

Junior Poster

Burning the Law in a Riot of Treason ?
    By William Rivers Pitt ?
    t r u t h o u t | Columnist

Monday 27 August 2007

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. - Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

The departure of Alberto Gonzales from the Attorney General's Office brings America to a place of definitions, and hanging in the balance is the very idea of the nation itself. The basic concepts and fundamental principles of our republic now stand as the only legitimate considerations going forward, for they have been tested almost to annihilation already, and will not endure much longer if we continue on this path.

It is the mythology within the Declaration of Independence we speak of, the fiction that tells us we are endowed with rights, and that those rights are unalienable. This falsehood has been vividly exposed in the last several years, and it has been a harsh lesson indeed. All the rights we hold dear and believe to be our greatest strength are, in fact, only words on old paper with neither force nor power. The next line - "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" - is the muscle behind the myth, the core that has endured a withering assault.

Matters are so much worse than our national political dialogue lets on. The resignation of Gonzales has unleashed a torrent of hard words and harsh criticisms aimed at the deplorable nature of his tenure, but the truth of it continues to elude mention. They call Gonzales an incompetent, a crony, a loyalist, a disgrace, leaving off the one word necessary to fully explain who he is, and what he was engaged in before he stepped down.

Alberto Gonzales is a traitor. That is the only word to explain it.

He is not the only one; there are many more traitors like him in the Bush administration, criminals joined in an act of treason so vast and comprehensive that it beggars comparison. Nothing quite like this has ever before been attempted in America, and if they are allowed to succeed, there will be nothing of what defines America left to be seen.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/082707R.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    It is a black spot on our country, and diminished our ability to take any moral stand internationally.
    You can't bring democracy in armoured vehicles. Democracy is the consensus of the law. By this standard, there is no way you'll win an illegal war with illegal actions.

I think of the useless death of these young men and women in Irak, and I'm in rage.