Gold Poster

Default BioShock's Little Sister killing gets mainstream attention

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/23/bi...eam-attention/

"We knew it was coming. Any game that features little girls as an enemy was bound to eventually draw the attention of the mainstream media. That attention has been brought by the Boston Patriot-Ledger, which argues that BioShock is "testing the limits of the ultraviolent gaming genre with a strategy that enables players to kill characters resembling young girls."

Despite the shock-inducing lead, the article goes on to give a more or less accurate description of BioShock's choice between saving and harvesting the creepy Little Sisters. 2K Boston President Ken Levine defends the artistic vision of the game, of course, while a psychology professor tells the paper that young people who play violent games "had lower feelings of empathy and stronger 'pro-violence attitudes''' whatever that means. The conclusion tries to draw a link between BioShock's violence to a stabbing death allegedly inspired by Grand Theft Auto, but the connection is pretty weak.

Regardless of any alleged real-world effects, we can't help but feel a little squeamish deciding on life and death for these poor, twisted little girls. So what's your decision? Have you been sparing your Little Sisters, or harvesting them for their sweet, sweet serum?"

Wow i don't know what too say about this but i don't think i can pick up a game like this at all.

its true that violent video games makes kids violent.When I was a kid in the 80's,the first thing I would do after playing Super Mario Bros. was go outside and jump on top of peoples heads and throw fire balls at them.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by abacab
    its true that violent video games makes kids violent.When I was a kid in the 80's,the first thing I would do after playing Super Mario Bros. was go outside and jump on top of peoples heads and throw fire balls at them.
    Don't forget about throwing turtle shells at people and jumping down drainpipes.

*choo choo choo*

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

Rookie Poster

When you choose to harvest their Adam, which kills them, the screen goes black and you hear some sounds. It's not like you can go around and violently put a bullet in their head once you spot one.

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

This controversy is dumb. I haven't played BioShock, but It's Just A Game. I do think the gaming industry should lay low right now though, big news stories could probably be in short supply for awhile. The phoney ass anti adult gaming crusade might hit full speed any time now.

From what I know, the "Little Sisters" aren't actually little girls in the game, but quasi immortal mutations. There is not an option to just kill little girls, nobody would make a game like that.

Use common sense, people, good grief.

When the "Let's Kill Children" game gets released, I'll get concerned. I don't see that happening. Actually, if that happened, I just wouldn't play it.

This is a stupid thread.

the early review say its the best so far 4 the 360

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

Junior Poster

The PC demo is out on steam. It plays pretty good on the low setting and still looks nice. I think you can kill the girls, during the demo something happens that makes me believe that is true.

No Gods, No Kings, Only man

Professional Poster

It's out for PC too, I saw it in Target today.

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

I looked through the strategy guide today and talked to someone who's gaming it, it actually sounds like a pretty interesting concept. The people behind this put some work into the game world and yes, it's intentionally disturbing.

2k Games continues to push the envelope, and I think that's a good thing. Video games are not just made for children anymore. I don't know why some people still cling to the idea that they should be.