Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Headed to L.A.

Platinum Poster

Default Headed to L.A.

I'll be in L.A. 22nd- 26th .... what should I do while I'm there besides filming promos and shooting w/ a test audience?

Oh and keep in mind I'll be w/ my agent, lawyer, and mom.

So going to the local tranny hooker bar isn't too likely but maybe something a lil nicer is.

Attached Images Attached Images  

good luck with that trip

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Two words :

Base Jumping

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

Silver Poster

What are you filming/auditioning for?

When I was there last year, a friend of mine took me to MOONSHADOW.....it was nice and apparently it was the club Mel Gibson was driving from when he got busted. It's in Malibu.

I also went to a couple of other clubs with my cousin in the valley, they were more of the live entertainment and open mike variety.

Other than professional endeavors (Music entertainment for me), LA sucks for the most part in my opinion.

Good luck to you for sure.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ARMANIXXX
    What are you filming/auditioning for?

When I was there last year, a friend of mine took me to MOONSHADOW.....it was nice and apparently it was the club Mel Gibson was driving from when he got busted. It's in Malibu.

I also went to a couple of other clubs with my cousin in the valley, they were more of the live entertainment and open mike variety.

Other than professional endeavors (Music entertainment for me), LA sucks for the most part in my opinion.

Good luck to you for sure.
    thnx.... well the show i was cast w/ 11 other glb members, i was the only t, got postponed til summer '08 bc they showed the 12 cast member tapes to test audiences and my reviews got SUCH high marks that they have totally scrapped the original idea and are recasting and reformulating the show, except my part.... to show me they are serious they want to take my high ratings and test me in a whole nother format and idea to see if a test audience likes me live... if they do... ill be hosting my own tv show... i dont know much yet but i dont think its exactly like a late night talk show or anything like that .... not much details have been given but when i get them obviously ill share what i can... anyway my birthday is the 21rst so since you cheap bastards arent gonna buy me anything at least send me some well wishes... this show could REALLY bring some real light to the ts community and hopefully it will be a GOOD one and beneficial to US all.

on a side note ... i LOVE this song

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YVvo_s6cyZQ

Gold Poster

tsntx,

They did a pretty good cover of a great song, but the ORIGINAL song is generally better.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yx6dHmYD6c8

Oh, shoot. I might be in Los Angeles at the end of the month. So no Peanuts for you, huh?

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    tsntx,

They did a pretty good cover of a great song, but the ORIGINAL song is generally better.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yx6dHmYD6c8

Oh, shoot. I might be in Los Angeles at the end of the month. So no Peanuts for you, huh?
    yeah i doubt ill go to peanuts... yeah its an old smiths song i know.... but i love daniel merriweathers voice

I'll be there the same week....maybe we should hookup!!

Junior Poster

Another hot avatar pic Jen, schwing.

Since you're going (or "coming," since this is my home town) with your Mom, I'd say a GREAT place for visiting is the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in Pasadena (actually, San Marino). So that's my first recommendation; a weak alternative would be the fancy Getty Museum up in the hills above Sunset Blvd.

Also, a drive on Sunset Blvd is beautiful, from the Santa Monica Beach area to the west all the way into Hollywood to the east (some parts aren't so spectacular, but it kind of reveals Los Angeles). I used to work at Sunset and Vine. In that area, you'll find Graumann's (Mann's) Chinese Theater (north on Hollywood Blvd), Hollywood Bowl, West and North on Cahuenga), etc. Griffith Park is in the area, and this is near the "Hollywood Sign." But anyway, as you head west on Sunset Blvd you'll find West Hollywood, Beverly Hills (for you shopping enthusiasts... way too pricey for me) UCLA/Bel Aire, Brentwood, a Polo field -- darn I forgot the name -- but it was some famous Hollywood homespun 'western' comedian from the 30s (edit: Will Rogers) -- there's a small museum there and hiking trails, and finally, Santa Monica and the Pacific Coast Highway (on which you can drive north to Malibu).

For just strolling, Santa Monica (the pier and the 3rd Street Promenade) are nice. Santa Monica Beach also has a "Strand," where you can rent bicycles and bike southward to Marina del Rey. Between Santa Monica and Marina del Rey is Venice Beach, where you'll find a lot of "head shop" type places (reminds me of Ocean Beach in San Diego). The Marina del rey area has some touristy restaurants, and a nice small mall area overlooking the Marina.

If you're able to figure it out, you can bike beyond Marina del Rey to Hermosa and Redondo Beach and I think it might extend to Palos Verdes... but that's a lot of biking. What makes it a bit hard to figure out is that you'll need to leave the strand and do a short bit of biking on the surface streets. This is because the Marina itself and La Ballona Creek interrupt the beach (You can bike along La Ballona Crek Eastward into Culver City ... about 4.5 miles where a lot of Hollywood industry actully occurs (Eg., Sony-MGM is not in Hollywood, it's in Culver City; Alex Trabek does Jeopardy from that area). However, the southern beaches (Dockweiler, Hermosa and Redondo) have their own attractions. For example, the last time I was in Hermosa (or Redondo??) there was a Beach volleyball tournament being broadcast from there. Redondo has some fairly reasonably priced restaurants, especially off the Pacific Coast highway on a road called Artesia Blvd.

In downtown Los Angeles are Chinatown, Japantown and Olvera Street (but you probably have that type of stuff in TX). If you can get a night show at the Disney Center (it's a musical auditorium, I don't remember the real name -- I saw Garrison Keillor's show) that's great but expensive (excellent restaurant there, but expensive, LOL). Edit -- and there's the Museum of Modern Art. The last time I was in that area it was for jury duty; but I learned about the Museum of Modern Art and they apparently have free Jazz concerts in the Summer on Thursday (I think) evening. The Museum itself is interesting, and the last time I was there, the featured show was some of the works of David Hockney.

I'm not sure how long you plan to visit. But if you can get down to our harbor (San Pedro), there's a small mall there (Ports of Call) and you can catch a one-hour ferry to Catalina Island (but that may be busy during the summer months). Driving along the coast -- in Palos Verdes and also Santa Monica-to-Malibu -- is illustrative of what Los Angeles should have been, LOL. Long Beach is just South of San Pedro, and Palos Verdes is just north - west. In Palos Verdes is a small tide pool area called Abalone Cove ($5.00 parking fee), which is relaxing and if you like to observe molluscs and urchins and octopi and planaria, it's okay (but not as good as Baja, where many of the same genera exist in greater abundance). But the cliffs and tide pools are picturesque.

Anyway, those are the "Mom-compatible" things to try in LA. I think of all of these, the Huntington Library is the "Can't miss" Mom thing to try. The library has Gainsborough's "Blue Boy," Lawrence's "Sarah Benett Boulton -Pinkie" and a Gutenberg Bible and the Gardens are excellent. One more thing, you may want to get tickets for the Tonight Show or Jimmy Kimmel... since you know you'll be in town. I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but Universal Studios, Burbank and all that is in that area.

http://www.1iota.com/show.aspx?sid=1