Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

1) I've always been a fan of AMD, but I think Intel is a better choice right now with their Core2Duo's, they're pretty damn fast.

2) 2GB of RAM will be great, get 4GB if you like multitasking, a lot, games and all at the same time.

3) I would stick with Sony or Toshiba if they are within your price range, HP is good too. If it's a lot cheaper, then Gateway should be your choice, otherwise, I wouldn't bother with them.

4) Toshiba's are known to be better made than Gateways. Gateway came out into the market as a budget computer company, nothing like Sony or Toshiba.

5) I don't know too much about Intel graphics cards and have always steered clear of them, but the memory seems to be enough at 256MB for at least another few years. That is if you're thinking of playing Doom3+ type of games. I would still stick with something made from nVidia or ATI.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Might be a bit more than your budget - haven't checked but I've been very happy with Alienware.

If you have any geek buddies - buying all the parts and having a system built is a better idea and also comes without all that junk software which usually causes the problems later on.

seanchai

Intel seem to be on top of things with the Core2Duo at the moment, so I would go with that if I were you.

With regards to the memory, 2gb should be fine. But it would be wise to make sure there is a memory slot open for an upgrade in a yar or two.

Graphics is always difficult... if you are into the less intense games like The Sims or whatever, then the intel chip with shared memory will be ok for a while. If you are into the more demanding games like GTA, WOW or all the first person shooters then you should make sure that it has dedicated video memory and a better chip.

When it says "shared video memory" it means that it uses your RAM as video memory which works, but doesn't make for great performance.

Good luck!

Rookie Poster

Don't forget the most important piece of advise of all----STAY AWAY FROM VISTA. FAR,FAR AWAY.

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai
    Might be a bit more than your budget - haven't checked but I've been very happy with Alienware.
    Been thinking about getting one of these since seeing a friend's. It's a very impressive machine..

@ Edision. Avoid the Gateway and, though you didn't mention one, don't even think about getting a Dell laptop either.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai

If you have any geek buddies - buying all the parts and having a system built is a better idea and also comes without all that junk software which usually causes the problems later on.

seanchai

It's not worth the effort to try and build a laptop.

Rookie Poster

Toshiba is the Top Rated laptop in the industry. I would go with the Intel processor although the AMD's are more efficient when it comes to battery life. Intel has higher reliability. 2GB of RAM is good and will handle most of your needs. More is always better. Adding RAM is the least expensive way to improve performance of any machine. Avoid Vista.

Where are you planning to purchase the machine? PM me if you want some options.

Good Shopping

Brother, Y'all Better Get a New ATTITUDE!

I've heard the Amd chips running hotter than Core2duo

Get a macbook.
    I have one and it screams plus you can run VISTA on it if you like.
    My mac book is the fastest computer I have ever owned and I usually purchase 2 computers a year.

How about this one?

http://tinyurl.com/2v5ux2

Gateway® Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor

Windows Vista™ Home Premium,
    2048MB DDR2 memory,
    160GB hard drive,
    dual-layer DVDs
    integrated webcam and microphone.
    15.4" Ultrabright™ Widescreen (M-6816)

$850.00 (price good for 2 more days)