Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Poster

OK, I know i will be in the minority here yet i don't really care for T-Gals from Brazil , so over rated to me ! Dominican gals are so much better !

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences..._brazil,4.html

There are relatively few activist groups in Brazil that encompass the whole range of alternative sexualities and genders. Within these mixed groups, transsexuals tend to distinguish themselves from transvestites, hence the increasing use of the term "GLBTT"--Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transvestite, and Transsexual--rather than the acronym most familiar in the United States, "GLBT"--Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender, where "Transgender" is used as an umbrella term.

Despite being included in Brazil's acronym in the struggle for glbtq rights, transgender people receive little outreach from the more mainstream gay and lesbian groups. There are, however, associations of transgender people in several Brazilian states and cities.

One program in Rio de Janeiro focuses on the reintegration of transvestites into society through training and employment opportunities.

Emotional Life

The dire political and social situation of transgender people in Brazil could gradually be alleviated if more transgender people qualified as doctors, lawyers, and other professionals. However, in addition to the discrimination that limits their education, most transvestites seem unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to obtain higher education. They seem to believe that to do so would also mean sacrificing the most important years of their lives as beautiful women.

The combined effects of discrimination, humiliation, lack of education, and isolation from mainstream society place enormous emotional strain on Brazil's transgender people, especially those who earn their living as sex workers. They tend to live for the present, in the belief that their beauty will not last long and in the knowledge that prospects for a decent life beyond 30 are extremely limited.

The pressures to succumb to drug abuse and criminality are enormous, but transgender people are also especially vulnerable to contracting AIDS and to falling into cynicism and despair. Avoiding these pitfalls demands remarkable courage and strength of character.

Bibliography

Brasil, Mariana. O manuscrito de Sônia: Prostituição, erotismo e amor. São Paulo: Italianova, 2005.

Couto, Edvaldo Souza. Transexualidade: o corpo em mutação. Salvador: GrupoGay da Bahia, 1999.

Foureaux de Souza, J. L., Jr., ed. Literatura e homoerotismo: umaintrodução. São Paulo: Scortecci, 2002.

Garcia, Wilton. Corpo, mídia e representação: estudos contemporâneos. São Paulo: Thompson, 2005.

Green, James N. Beyond Carnival: Male Homosexuality in Twentieth-Century Brazil. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999.

Kulick, Don. Travesti: Sex, Gender, and Culture among Brazilian Transgendered Prostitutes. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1998.

_____, and Charles Klein. Scandalous Acts: The Politics of Shame among Brazilian Travesti Prostitutes. http://www.socant.su.se.

Lancaster, Roger. "Transgenderism in Latin America: Some Critical Introductory Remarks on Identities and Practices." Sexualities 1.3 (199: 261-274.

Lopes, Denílson, Wilton Garcia, Sérgio Aboud, and Berenice Bento, eds. Imagem & diversidade sexual: estudos da homocultura. São Paulo: Nojosaedições, 2002.

Lyra, Bernadette and Wilton Garcia, eds. Corpo e cultura. São Paulo: Xamã-ECA/USP, 2001.

McCallum, Cecília. "Travesti: Sex, Gender and Culture among Brazilian Transgendered Prostitutes." Mana 5.1 (1999): 165-68.

Moreno, Antônio. A personagem homossexual no cinema brasileiro. Rio de Janeiro: Funarte, Niterói: EdUFF, 2001.

Mott, Luiz R. B. Epidemic of Hate: Violations of the Human Rights of Gay Men, Lesbians and Transvestites in Brazil. San Francisco: Grupo Gay da Bahia/International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, 1996.

_____, and Marcelo Cerqueira. As travestis da Bahia e a Aids. Salvador: Ministério da Saúde e Grupo Gay da Bahia, 1997.

Reis, Paulo. Mapa da Violência e Discriminação Praticada contra Gays, Lésbicas, Travestis, Transexuais e Bissexuais. São Paulo: Centro de Referência GLTTB da Secretaria da Cidadania Trabalho, Assistência e Inclusão Social da Prefeitura Municipal de Campinas, 2006.

Santos, Rick, and Wilton Garcia, eds. A escrita de adé: perspectivas teóricasdos estudos gays e lésbicas no Brasil. São Paulo: Xamã-Nassau Community CollegeNCC/SUNY, 2002.

Trevisan, João Silvério. Devassos no paraíso: A homossexualidade no Brasil, da colônia à atualidade. São Paulo: Record, 2000.

Citation Information

Author: Wolfe, Barry Michael
    Entry Title: Transsexuals of Brazil
    General Editor: Claude J. Summers
    Publication Name: glbtq: An Encyclopedia of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual,
    Transgender, and Queer Culture
    Publication Date: 2006
    Date Last Updated December 26, 2006
    Web Address http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences...ls_brazil.html
    Publisher glbtq, Inc.
    1130 West Adams
    Chicago, IL 60607
    Today's Date August 4, 2007
    Encyclopedia Copyright: © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.
    Entry Copyright © 2006 glbtq, Inc.

i hope to go there someday

5 Star Poster

:-/ I dont like the way that was written. It seems to somewhat ethnocentriacally intrepret the culture of the travestis (NOT TRANSVESTITES ) through the lens of the POV of white north american transsexual or excuse me transgendered women.

But that's beside the point.

The thing about brazil is it is a catholic country that likes to party on saturday then curse to hell the people they party with on sunday. Just like the good ol USA.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQ
    ...the travestis (NOT TRANSVESTITES ) through the lens of the POV of white north american transsexual or excuse me transgendered women.

The long historical use of the English word “transvestite” seriously
    complicates efforts at communication and translation across language
    barriers. The reason is that it is easily confused with the word “travesti”,
    which is used in many Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian,
    etc.).

In the Portuguese and Spanish-speaking worlds, the word “travesti” has long
    been used to refer to gender-variant males (just as “transvestite” was long
    used in the English speaking world). However, “travesti” has a very
    different meaning in the Romance languages than “transvestite” has in
    English.

Instead of referring to heterosexual crossdressers ( “transvestites”),
    “travestis” refers to young gender transitioners who are attracted to
    men, who feminize their bodies and partly transition (usually without
    genital surgery) and who historically have worked in the sex trade.

Thus “travesti” is best translated into the word “she-male” (although
    that word has a negative connotation in English).

http://www.hungangels.com/board/view...r=asc&start=10

5 Star Poster

Yes Cosign! Thankyou for saying it in a way I just could not. My reaction was colored by my own lens of personal experinece.

Fighting stigma against sexual minorities in Latin America

Marcela Romero became a woman in heart, soul and body at the age of 17. This decision changed her life completely. No longer would ‘Marcelo’ (her name at birth) be the favourite uncle or pride of the family. Instead Marcela faced scorn and rejection.

“Knowing that your family wishes you had never existed or listening to the constant question what did I do to have a person like this in the family is very painful,” Marcela explained.

After having to drop out from school in Argentina due to reaction to her new appearance, Marcela was forced to sell sex to survive financially. During this time, Marcela became HIV positive.

Marcela’s experiences are typical of transsexuals in Latin America and other parts of the world as they face rejection from their families, marginalization within wider society and other forms of stigma and discrimination.

This is the reality of the gay, lesbian and transsexual population in Latin America. We are permanently treated as fascinating objects for investigation or contempt and not as individuals with rights,” said Marcela, explaining that despite her wish to be considered a woman, she is still obliged to carry and present her male identification papers to keep within the country’s law. In Latin America, stigma and discrimination of sexual minorities often goes hand in hand with HIV-related discrimination.

“Sexual violence is a reality for many sexual minorities and often sex work is the only viable option to make a living for transgender and transsexual people who are marginalized in mainstream society. Unless HIV prevention and stigma eradication programmes are designed by and for these communities they will continue to be more vulnerable to HIV,” said UNAIDS Head of Civil Society Partnerships, Andy Seale.

Marcela is working hard with others in the same situation as her to respond to and reduce the kind of stigma and discrimination she faces every day. As coordinator of the Latin American Transsexual Network (REDLACTRANS), she recently took part in a meeting in Brazil, in which other representatives from more than 20 Latin American countries gathered to address the issue of discrimination against sexual minorities and its effects on the AIDS response.

right to left): Dr Pedro Chequer, UNAIDS Country Coordinator for
    Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay; Marcela Romero, Coordinator of
    the Latin American Transsexual Network (REDLACTRANS

Within the discussions at the meeting, a strategic guidebook to help fight discrimination against sexual minorities, and reduce its impact on HIV, was presented for discussion. “This guidebook will be a useful instrument for countries, especially those that lack on legislations and laws that ensure the basic human rights to these important populations,” said Pedro Chequer, UNAIDS Country Coordinator for Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay. More than 80 countries around the world, especially in Asia, Africa, Central America and the Caribbean, currently punish homosexuality as a crime.

The meeting was an initiative of the Horizontal Technical Cooperation Group (HTCG), that comprises more than 21 Latin American countries, and the UNAIDS Regional Support Team for Latin America. The guidebook is expected to be ready for distribution later this year.

“We are committed to stopping the crimes and abuses against gay, lesbian and transsexual populations which can lead to a higher HIV risk. This goal can only be achieved through public policies that respect sexual orientation and human rights,” said Carlos Passarelli, HTCG’s Joint Director.

Arturo Diaz, from the Mexican non-governmental organization, Letra S, stated that this type of discrimination “affects the daily lives of the gay, lesbian and transsexual populations in personal, emotional and professional aspects, as well as health”.

As stated in the Declaration of Commitment on AIDS, UNAIDS is working on initiatives to join efforts with governments, civil society and the media of all the Latin American countries to fight stigma and discrimination through coordinated action as part of a wide response to the AIDS epidemic.

The path ahead is long, but as Marcela has seen, stigma and discrimination can be broken down gradually, moving towards the ultimate goal of total eradication. “Before only my best friend would accept me, now my Mum has started to come around as well,” she said. “Things are changing – it’s little by little, but they are changing for the better.”

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Not being from Brazil, or ever having visited myself, I don't know how accurate this is, but the movie "City Of God" paints a very grim picture of life for the urban poor in that country.

It's a very well made movie, but it certainly isn't a feel good story by any means.