Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Fox Reality to debut UK's 'There's Something About Miriam'

Forgive me if this has been posted before..

Fox Reality to debut UK's 'There's Something About Miriam' October 31

By Christopher Rocchio, 07/25/2007

One of the U.K.'s most controversial reality dating series is finally going to air in America.

ADVERTISEMENT
    There's Something About Miriam, a reality dating series that set-up six unsuspecting men on dates with a transsexual and first premiered on Britain's Sky One in February 2004, is scheduled to premiere Wednesday, October 31 on Fox Reality, the Hartford Courant television critic Roger Catlin reported Monday.

Although Fox Reality had previously announced Miriam's acquisition back in May, the all-reality digital cable network hadn't disclosed when it planned to debut the series. "I look forward to unleashing that on the American public," Fox Reality president David Lyle had teased to Daily Variety at the time.

There's Something About Miriam filmed in Ibiza in 2003. At the start of the show, the men were presented with a lineup of beautiful women and asked to pick the one that they found most attractive. All of them selected a South American beauty named Miriam, and in typical reality dating show fashion, competed to win her affections.

However unbeknownst to the men, Miriam wasn't a woman. Instead -- similar to Jaye Davidson's role in 1994's The Crying Game film -- she was a preoperative transsexual.

At the end of the show the six suitors learned Miriam wasn't a gorgeous female, a revelation that didn't sit too well with them, especially the show's winner Tom Rooke, a then 23-year-old lifeguard and ex-ski instructor. The six men hired the publicity-oriented U.K. law firm Skillings and sued to keep the show off the air, with the lawsuit also including claims of defamation, personal injury and conspiracy to commit sexual assault (apparently because several of them had kissed and hugged Miriam).

However the six suitors got over their claims of injury and public humiliation in return for an undisclosed cash settlement -- which various reports pegged at anywhere between $150,000 and $250,000 a person -- clearing the way for the program to debut on Sky One in late February 2004. As part of the settlement, Brighter Pictures -- the Endemol production company subsidiary that had produced There's Something About Miriam -- also issued a public statement apologizing for "any upset" caused by the program.

There's Something About Miriam's debut on Fox Reality is scheduled to immediately follow the live finale of The Search for the Next Elvira, a new three-episode reality series that will look to hunt out a handmaiden to assist the famous "Mistress of the Dark" with her Halloween hosting duties.
    I know how the show goes. It could be entertaining to see how certain people will react to this.

Junior Poster

The six men hired the publicity-oriented U.K. law firm Skillings and sued to keep the show off the air, with the lawsuit also including claims of defamation, personal injury and conspiracy to commit sexual assault (apparently because several of them had kissed and hugged Miriam).
    ...what the HELL? Are you kidding me? "Conspiracy to commit sexual assault" just for kissing and hugging someone?

If you ask me, they were just looking to cash in on something.

While if I could go back in time and change things, God knows I would, I also realize that such a thing is impossible. So I just have to move on with my life and make sure that I come out the other side a better person. That’s all there is too it.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    I know that goes. It could be entertaining to see how certain people will react to this.
    You being a transsexual how can you find anything "entertaining" about that show,it does nothing but give the impression that all transsexuals trick guys,i'm really surprised people enjoy that kind of stuff at all but hey what's the worst thing that could happen oh yeah death look what happen to that poor girl gwen araujo maybe if she wouldn't have gotten the impression that girls like her must fool guys maybe she would still be alive or on a most recent incident some girl in florida wouldn't have gotten her head bashed in.I'm just saying girls really don't need to trick anybody because they are tons of guys who love them for who they are.

The whole premise of this show was fucked up from the beginning why not have a show like the bachelorette but the guys know she is a transsexual from the beginning,i just think they knew what they did was wrong yet they are still trying to sell this shit didn't they learn thier lesson from that lawsuit which was rightfully filed by the six guys.I'm just surprised the transsexual community didn't get in an uproar over this,i know i don't want to hear about some girl beaten up or killed because she tried to trick some guy.

You know when i look back at that thread nickki started about that transsexual that got beat up i was truly feeling sympathy for her because she was beaten up but when you really think about it maybe that probably a blessing for her because she didn't get killed like many others who have done that.I know that seems cruel but it's reality once you are dead they are no lessons to learn.

Junior Poster

IT took fucking long enough!

By the way, the whole premise of the show was quite mean.
    Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would be treated the same. But it's just a fact that some men don't feel comfortable with the idea of kissing a transexual.
    And I think it was unfair to bait them like they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    I know that goes. It could be entertaining to see how certain people will react to this.
    You being a transsexual how can you find anything "entertaining" about that show,it does nothing but give the impression that all transsexuals trick guys,
    and your posts give the impression that you are a true full blown fool. it was the MEN that picked the TS, not the other way round, dumbo!!!!

besides, who tells you that wasnt all staged, written, directed etc.??? like all "reality"shows are just so spontaneous, and real...yeah sure

Legend, do you still believe in santa clause????

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mbf
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    You being a transsexual how can you find anything "entertaining" about that show,it does nothing but give the impression that all transsexuals trick guys,
    and your posts give the impression that you are a true full blown fool. it was the MEN that picked the TS, not the other way round, dumbo!!!!

besides, who tells you that wasnt all staged, written, directed etc.??? like all "reality"shows are just so spontaneous, and real...yeah sure

Legend, do you still believe in santa clause????
    LOL your the typical tranny chaser loser that this shows appeals too,funny how you take a snippet of what i typed to make a point that wasn't even there,when will you random losers get it through your tranny chasing heads that i don't give a rat's ass how you perceive me or any of my posts.Can you even give a opinion on the subject at hand without including me oh wait you can't because your the typical tranny chasing loser.

"it was the MEN that picked the TS"

I was referring to miraim choosing the guy tattoo and girls not telling guys from the beginning not any of your pathetic tales of hiring some crackhead prostitute.I mean it's cool that you want to interact with me but please choose to not make it in a subject so serious as this,so until you have something serious to say about the subject please fuck off.

Rookie Poster

It is flattering (if this show is actually real, which it might be, not all "reality shows" are fake), that the handsome men did chose her because she was more beautiful and feminine than the genetic women on that show, and as most educated people know, some transexual women are as beautiful and feminine as some of the most beautiful and feminine genetic women.

What would be nice though is if at least a few tv shows showed beautiful transexual women in everyday jobs in everyday life, because most transexual women do live as other genetic women do. We work, are with handsome men that find us beautiful, etc...

..... hi you handsome masculine men;
    .....i'm a beautiful, feminine pre-op transexual lady,
    38-24-36,
    ........with long, silky blonde hair,
    in my sensual chiffon skirt, 'hose, and high heels.

5 Star Poster

@Legend

What Lady Angela said.

I would only add two things.

1.) I believe in a thread called "tranny's in straight bars" more than one girl here admitted that they let men go a certain distance before telling them. Just before or just after the first kiss. Which is all that happened here. It's not that unusual and on that level boring to watch, if you are a TS.

2.) It will be nice to have an image out there of a transsexual who was not a sportscaster, not a city manager, and not a trucker. IF some of the transgendrered women who told you they were offended by this show had their way. The above named kinds of people would be the only TS's on TV. It's not a national broadcast...but it's better than nothing.

3.) What will be semi entertaining to me will be watchin certain activist types gripe about this. "oh heaven forbid that transsexuals could be shown as being sexual, having a libido appropriate for a 20- soemthing." or even "look look she said she is 'not a woman' she was 'born as a man' she's not a transsexual" (There were people who actually said that) back in 04.

taken into account that this program stems from Endemol productions, a company that has a long history of pranks, staged events, manipulative TV shows etc. i rather say theres probably not much "real" in this "Reality"-show to begin with - apart from Miriam beeing REALLY sexy. i even suspect the whole law-suite to be just another step to revv up the PR-machine. i mean even that choosing process - if they had chosen one of the natural born women there would not have been a show at all....

and even if my paranoia holds true this can be an interesting program, for two reasons:

that some people will see a jaw-droppingly beautiful TS

the reaction of the viewers

the obvious misconceptions and misreading this has already caused for ONE well-respected member of HA

a sidenote: Crying Game came out in 92

@"legend": yeah, everybody is a tranny-chaser loser exept for you, cartoon-samurai-knight-in-shining-armor-fighting-for-decency

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Junior Poster

Miriam, or is it Victoria.. What name does she go by in real life????????????

anyway Victoria, here is a nice plate of cookies,,, just for you..

Come join the Forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cookies_615.jpg 
Views:	1703 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	114453