Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by jmt; 04-24-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Gold Poster

Vick's gets special treatment because others have been suspended without being convicted(pacman jones)so now the league takes a we'll see how this will play out approach LOL give me fucking break,they just don't want to lose money on this thug.I think the protest by peta and others will put pressure on the league and falcons organization to do something.

Platinum Poster

Things are heating up, and rightfully so...

Sen. Robert Byrd on Dogfighting

In a floor speech Thursday, Sen. Robert C. Byrd (D-W. Va.) lashed out, indirectly, at Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, who was recently charged with running a dog-fighting ring in Virginia. The speech might have seemed unusually apocalyptic to those who don't know how much the octogenarian senator loves dogs.

In biblical terms, Byrd -- wearing a navy-blue tie spotted with dog images -- attacked animal cruelty in ways that only he can.

"It is a brutal, sadistic event motivated by barbarism of the worst sort and cruelty of the worst, worst, worst, sadistic kind," Byrd said in a 24-minute address on the matter. "One is left wondering: Who are the real animals? Who are the real animals, who are the real animals -- the creatures inside the ring or the creatures outside the ring?"

Byrd did not specifically address the charges against Vick, a former Virginia Tech football star [We earlier said Vick was a graduate of VT. Vick actually left the school early to join the NFL. Thanks to readers for correcting our mistake], but attacked the nature of Vick's alleged crime in soaring rhetoric usually reserved for war speeches or Supreme Court confirmation battles: "The training of these poor creatures -- weigh those words -- the training of these poor creatures -- weigh them -- the training of these poor creatures to turn themselves into fighting machines is simply barbaric. Barbaric! Barbaric! Barbaric! Let that word resound from hill to hill and from mountain to mountain, from valley to valley across this broad land. Barbaric, barbaric!"

Byrd's love of dogs is a well known fact around the Senate. In April 2002, when his beloved dog Billy Byrd passed away, Byrd announced the death at an Appropriations Committee hearing, darkening the spirit of the Senate, whose galleries had heard the senator invoke his dog on many, many occasions. "I lost one of my best friends today," he said.

"The Book of Proverbs in the Holy Bible, the King James Bible, tells us a righteous man regardeth the life of his beast but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel," Byrd said. "The immortal Dante tells us the divine justice reserves special places in Hell for certain categories of sinners. Madam president, I am confident -- madam president, I am confident that the hottest places in Hell are reserved for the souls of sick and brutal people who hold God's creatures in such brutal and cruel contempt! I yield the floor."

Sharpton Weighs In On Vick, Dogfighting

ATLANTA -- The Rev. Al Sharpton teamed with PETA Wednesday to criticize dogfighting in a letter that went to all of Michael Vick's corporate sponsors.

The letter, signed by Sharpton, hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons and Ingrid Newkirk, president of PETA, went to Vick's sponsors, Falcons CEO Arthur Blank, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

"The recent media spotlight on dogfighting reminds us of society's callous disregard for the suffering of animals and disrespect for sentient beings," they wrote in letters that arrived by FedEx Wednesday morning.

"We hope that Mr. Vick is not a product of this insensitivity that runs through our society. ... It does us little good to prosecute just those who are famous and allow people across the country to continue to commit these hideous crimes. We are hopeful that authorities will take the appropriate action against anyone found guilty of an atrocity as serious as dogfighting ... . Today, we sound a clarion call to all people: Stand up for what is right, and speak out against what is wrong. Dogfighting is unacceptable. Hurting animals for human pleasure or gain is despicable. Cruelty is just plain wrong."

The statement comes on the heels of Michael Vick's indictment by a federal grand jury on a conspiracy charge related to his alleged involvement with dogfighting, including fatally hanging, drowning, and slamming against the ground dogs who "did not perform well."

The indictment follows an April 25 raid on Vick's property in Surry County, Va., during which authorities reportedly found 70 dogs--including at least 60 pit bulls, the breed that is most commonly used for fighting--and paraphernalia commonly associated with dogfighting. Some of the animals reportedly had deep wounds and cuts consistent with fighting.

The Simmons, Sharpton, and PETA letters went to all of Vick's corporate sponsors, including Nike, Rawlings, Hasbro, Easton Sports, and Kraft.

"Anyone capable of forcing dogs to fight to the death should be kept away from all vulnerable forms of life, particularly children and animals," said Newkirk. "Dogfighting is an illegal act that deserves harsh punishment, no matter how famous the alleged perpetrators are."

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Gold Poster

Great -- GREAT -- article on Vick and his generation. Is hip-hop to blame? We need more views such as the one espoused by this columnist. Let's get he dialogue going on this. Where are this generation's role models for African-American youth? The cowardly and selfish Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, et all, have never stepped up on the activism front, so who is it going to be? Where is this generation's Muhammad Ali or Jim Brown?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...F?OpenDocument

... As far as Vick's case is concerned, it's still innocent until proven guilty. Don't compare this to OJ's case. As far as I know, Vick has not fled in a white Bronco with a gun to his head yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    Great -- GREAT -- article on Vick and his generation. Is hip-hop to blame? We need more views such as the one espoused by this columnist. Let's get he dialogue going on this. Where are this generation's role models for African-American youth? The cowardly and selfish Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, et all, have never stepped up on the activism front, so who is it going to be? Where is this generation's Muhammad Ali or Jim Brown?

... As far as Vick's case is concerned, it's still innocent until proven guilty. Don't compare this to OJ's case. As far as I know, Vick has not fled in a white Bronco with a gun to his head yet.
    woah wait a minute here, what did Jordan or Woods ever do wrong? how are they cowardly and selfish? Please validate that point.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dderek123

woah wait a minute here, what did Jordan or Woods ever do wrong? how are they cowardly and selfish? Please validate that point.
    A better question would be what have they ever done to warrant icon status ? What makes either above reproach? Why are they considered "heroes" by so many? Can either of them comment on anything else outside of their respective sport or detached bling laden world ? Do you think they even know what social or political activism is? When has Jordan or Woods ever acknowledged the doors opened by previous African-Americans who basically set the table for them? Do you think they care? Read the following which I clipped from Wikipedia:

In both 1990 and 1996, Helms won against Harvey Gantt, the former mayor of Charlotte. Both campaigns attracted major national attention not only because of Helms' national prominence and controversial positions on many issues, but also because Gantt was an African-American whose race and moderate-to-liberal political views provided a stark contrast to Helms. Helms' 1990 victory has been partially credited to a late-running television commercial which urged white voters to reject Gantt because of the Democratic candidate's support for affirmative action programs. The ad showed a white man's hands ripping up a rejection notice from a company which had not hired him due to affirmative action policies which had given the job to a black person. The ad was the brainchild of Dick Morris, who in the 1990's would become a key political advisor to President Bill Clinton. Helms won the 1990 election by 1,087,331 votes (52.5 percent) to Gantt's 981,573 (47.4 percent). In his 1990 victory statement, Helms mocked the major North Carolina newspapers for their unhappiness over his victory, quoting a line from "Casey at the Bat": "There's no joy in Mudville tonight."

Many political observers posited that if Jordan had come out and endorsed Gantt, that he could have possibly beaten Helms (You do know who Jesse Helms is, right?). Do you remember what Jordan's comments were? How about, "Republicans buy shoes too". How does that square off against what an Ali, or what Carlos and Smith did? Has either Jordan or Woods ever come out of their advisor driven world to try to make a difference in the world for their people? Ever?

Care for more examples?

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dderek123

A better question would be what have they ever done to warrant icon status ? Why are they considered "heroes" by so many? Can either of them comment on anything else outside of their respective sport or detached bling laden world ? Do you think they even know what social or political activism is? When has Jordan or Woods ever acknowledged the doors opened by previous African-Americans who basically set the table for them? Do you think they care? Read the following which I clipped from Wikipedia:

In both 1990 and 1996, Helms won against Harvey Gantt, the former mayor of Charlotte. Both campaigns attracted major national attention not only because of Helms' national prominence and controversial positions on many issues, but also because Gantt was an African-American whose race and moderate-to-liberal political views provided a stark contrast to Helms. Helms' 1990 victory has been partially credited to a late-running television commercial which urged white voters to reject Gantt because of the Democratic candidate's support for affirmative action programs. The ad showed a white man's hands ripping up a rejection notice from a company which had not hired him due to affirmative action policies which had given the job to a black person. The ad was the brainchild of Dick Morris, who in the 1990's would become a key political advisor to President Bill Clinton. Helms won the 1990 election by 1,087,331 votes (52.5 percent) to Gantt's 981,573 (47.4 percent). In his 1990 victory statement, Helms mocked the major North Carolina newspapers for their unhappiness over his victory, quoting a line from "Casey at the Bat": "There's no joy in Mudville tonight."

Many political observers posited that if Jordan had come out and endorsed Gantt, that he could have possibly beaten Helms (You do know who Jesse Helms is, right?). Do you remember what Jordan's comments were? How about, "Republicans buy shoes too". How does that square off against what an Ali, or what Carlos and Smith did? Has either Jordan or Woods ever come out of their advisor driven world to try to make a difference in the world for their people? Ever?

Care for more examples?

They are consider icons because each excelled in their sport,they are fucking athletes not political activist of any sort,i think people respect them more for not throwing their political opinions in the public's face.Jordan and woods are so fucking illrelevant to this vick situation i question why you even bring them up.

Professional Poster

How about,"Republicans buy shoes too". How does that square off against what an Ali, or what Carlos and Smith did? Has either Jordan or Woods ever come out of their advisor driven world to try to make a difference in the world for their people? Ever?
    I couldn't agree more. Ali and Brown used their celebrity to point out the the inequities in America, and the problems as they saw them. Did they let their fear of losing money or status dissuade them? No, Ali gave up his title and millions for a moral stand. Were they always right? No, but in the long run their stands on social and political issues sparked debate and moved the country forward. Woods and Jordan both have an Ali sized soapbox to stand on, and they use it to sell sneakers, underwear and Buicks. Ah, the power of the almighty dollar, and the how small our 'heroes' have become .

Alright Then.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    They are consider icons because each excelled in their sport,they are fucking athletes not political activist of any sort,i think people respect them more for not throwing their political opinions in the public's face.Jordan and woods are so fucking illrelevant to this vick situation i question why you even bring them up.
    You really are 13 aren't you, Legend? How else could you possibly see what I'm attempting to get at? Are you really that stupid? Didn't Ali excel in his sport? How about Jackie Robinson or Jim Brown? Why can Bill Russell speak so eloquently, but Michael Vick can't? Do you even know who Curt Flood is, or who Tommy Smith or John Carlos are and what they did? Kids have gotten beaten up and even killed over Jordan products and you don't think he owes kids a public announcement on curbing the violence, among other issues? I think indifferent cowardly clowns such as Woods and Jordan are part of the problem. By not saying anything, they are making a statement, particularly a self interest one.

Why am I even responding to you? You're irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by oli
    I couldn't agree more. Ali and Brown used their celebrity to point out the the inequities in America, and the problems as they saw them. Did they let their fear of losing money or status dissuade them? No, Ali gave up his title and millions for a moral stand. Were they always right? No, but in the long run their stands on social and political issues sparked debate and moved the country forward. Woods and Jordan both have an Ali sized soapbox to stand on, and they use it to sell sneakers, underwear and Buicks. Ah, the power of the almighty dollar, and the how small our 'heroes' have become .
    Very well put, Oli. Both Woods and Jordan are the hollowest of the hollow. I remember seeing Ali confront a congressman over the war and poverty on the Mike Douglas show once. Those guys walked the walk. Those are true heroes!

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    You really are 13 aren't you, Legend? How else could you possibly see what I'm attempting to get at? Are you really that stupid? Didn't Ali excel in his sport? How about Jackie Robinson or Jim Brown? Why can Bill Russell speak so eloquently, but Michael Vick can't? Do you even know who Curt Flood is, or who Tommy Smith or John Carlos are and what they did? Kids have gotten beaten up and even killed over Jordan products and you don't think he owes kids a public announcement on curbing the violence, among other issues? I think indifferent cowardly clowns such as Woods and Jordan are part of the problem. By not saying anything, they are making a statement, particularly a self interest one.

Why am I even responding to you? You're irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by oli
    Very well put, Oli. Both Woods and Jordan are the hollowest of the hollow. I remember seeing Ali confront a congressman over the war and poverty on the Mike Douglas show once. Those guys walked the walk. Those are true heroes!

Dude that's nothing but self righteous bolonga,those guys don't owe the public shit but to entertain us by doing their job nothing more nothing less.If i wanted political opinions i would turned on cnn or some other news channel i wouldn't look for it through basketball of golf players.All those guys you named are from the 80's or 70's and haven't gone through the hip hop era where stuff like dog fighting and drugs are glorified so one would think they would stand up for certain issues.Just keep thinking those guys of today owe you something and watch the problem get worse.

BTW its up to parents,teachers to teach kids not overpayed athletes.