Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Well this what I heard, and this is hearsay so if its not 100 percent true I dont want to hear people freaking out on me. I heard that drugs were involved, and that yes she was attacked but she was not thrown from the window she jumped to escape the attack.

Junior Poster

Yo,, I dont think that the people posting now about this are haters.I thought that would be confusing. wrote it anyway..

as a general footnote however, haters should turn off there computers and go outside in the sunlight..
    hahaha

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by NYTSJulie
    Well this what I heard, and this is hearsay so if its not 100 percent true I dont want to hear people freaking out on me. I heard that drugs were involved, and that yes she was attacked but she was not thrown from the window she jumped to escape the attack.
    That activist didn't fight to have that stuff taken down for nothing,personally i think what you said sounds like the most likely scenario because alot of details were held back that really shouldn't have.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    I hate that the accident happened but something went on there that none of us has any knowledge of and for her not to come out with somes detail is a little suspect after all people aren't going to support you if you don't tell them anything.I'm just saying you can't fault the public or trans community for not supporting her when they didn't know any of the details.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. If she wants her story told and wants lots of support, she has to do her part and get the story out there. All it would take is a couple simple phone calls.

As it is, it seems she wants things to be quiet and that's her choice. It may be for good reasons.

5 Star Poster

Wow that's a hell of a choice to have to make.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    Wow that's a hell of a choice to have to make.
    desperate times call for desperate measures

Veteran Poster

Either way, she didnt deserve it, thats for sure.

'We Are, Marshall... Almost home...'

Junior Poster

If the rumors of drug use are true, it really should not make too much difference in whether the community should support her.

There is an interesting comparison: Kevin Aviance. Aviance is not really transsexual. He is a gay male drag performer of some notoriety in downtown Manhattan. Aviance is at about the same level of celebrity as Miriam, although it does seem that he has a few more powerful friends in the entertainment industry than Miriam.

Aviance was badly beaten by a group of young men in the East Village about a year ago, and within days his story was in the tabloids and the gay community rallied around him. According to his story, the police initially didn't believe his story about being beaten, but within days arrested the perps -- probably because of the gay/entertainment activism/publicity machine that went into gear to help him.

Aviance apparently felt very ambivalent about becoming a symbol of anti-gay violence at political events, because he was used to being a performer and not a professional victim, but it seems he also felt the responsibility to help the community put the issue of anti-gay violence in the public spotlight.

Now here is the interesting parallel. About a year after the attack, the Village Voice did a big profile of Aviance and his attempt to recover physically and psychologically from the attack:

http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/...,76974,15.html

One of the aspects of Aviance's life the article highlights is his former drug use -- something that never came up in the publicity flurry immediately after the attacks. He admitted in the recent profile that he had been a regular drug user before the attack and that after the attack he went on a downward spiral of meth use before getting into rehab.

You can't question anyone's choices about how public they want to make their lives. OTOH, performers tend to be extroverts, and their lives are to some extent already out there.

I just think it has been extremely brave of Aviance to talk about the attack and his drug use. In other words, the fact that he has had drug problems does not excuse his attackers or make him any less a symbol of anti-gay violence. The same should be true for Miriam, but if she chooses not to play that role, well that's her choice.

Gold Poster

Him being beaten wasn't drug related,he was beaten for being gay.There is no telling what happened in her situation so its hard to compare the two.You can't expect the trans community or public to defend or speak up if illegal activity went on.

There is a reason she is being quiet about this matter.I just think its not right for people to say she wasn't defended by the trans community because she was pretty and had her own show they probably didn't know what happened.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaQG
    It feels like I am hijacking this thread. Such was not my intent. So be it. What was said demands a public response.

Quote Originally Posted by house
    Who says the POLICE DONT CARE?? Yeah maaaan, the government, they dont caaaare maaaaan. You want some applause for saying something like that? Do you have any idea about what happened or what the detectives in charge have in terms of evidence? Its so easy to say the police don't care.
    why the hostility?

What we have is what should be treated as a case of attempted murder in which there have been no arrest or prosecutions or real investigation as far as anyone knows. It's not like this happend in the middle of nowhere in Montana either. Their would have been at least one witness, afterall someone called for an ambulance. There would also be some physical evidence of some kind. Given those circumstances it is 100% reasonable to conclude the authorities really don't care, aren't trying, or are just plain incompetent.

If you care so much, write to a precinct and organize a protest to get something done...wait but YOU DONT CARE enough to do that.
    I cared, but to her I am virtually a perfect stranger. Nor am I a known activist. For such reasons when I did try to raise this issue with such people. I really rode them on this. Eventually the activist I had the most contact with, as well as others expressed that they feel the very existence and activities of people like Miriam (and incidentally practically every TS who post here). Which implies that they feel that Miriam or anyone remotely like her "undermies their hard work" and so is not worthy of their help (see here). They are full of "reasonalbe' excuses for why a young latino TS is unworthy of the kind of help that susan Stanton got (as opposed to Izza Lopez who was also fired for being TS but unlike stanton would not have savings etc. to fall back on and also is not white). For good measure ,you will note, she saw fit to personally attack me.

I wan't no applause I am just a concerned curious citizen like everyone else who commented in this thread.

why the hostility? why do you have such hostility towards cops? Just b/c you watch some crime shows on tv and think every precinct in nyc is equipped with unlimited manpower and equipment doesnt make it so. There isn't always this breadcrumb of evidence leading from a crime to the perpetrator. cops do more than alot and it angers me that some ignorant person who watches crime dramas think they are lazy just b/c they havent turned up a suspect in some drug induced, possible prostitution case.

"it is 100% reasonable to conclude the authorities really don't care, aren't trying, or are just plain incompetent. "

100% reasonable huh? How reasonable do you think it is for two cops to approach a car in crown heights and get shot down? It happens all the time in nyc. there are bigger things going on all the time. you can't just expect the entire force to put everything theyve got into solving one of the tens of thousands of crimes that go on every year and ignore everything else. get real. please move to crown heights or brownsville or east new york and then talk about how the cops are lazy. youll never walk out of your home.