Gold Poster

Default Transsexual Ants ...

Summer is here, and that only means the ants aren't far behind. Actually, as far as my place goes, they are here, damn them. What sure fire methods do you guys use to eradicate the queens, thus the nest? Is there a magic bullet for these friggin' things? Black Flag, Hot Shot, or Raid type sprays only seem to be a temporary solution, and they make the place smell like, well, insecticide.

Any ideas?

"Transsexual ants" you question? I had to stay relevant, right?

Rookie Poster

I normally leave out bread dipped in cyanide
    it's fun because then the ants go into convulsions.

Today
    No more night time
    Going over the moon

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by forgedfight
    I normally leave out bread dipped in cyanide
    it's fun because then the ants go into convulsions.
    I love your sadistic thinking, but does it actually make it back to the nest and kill the queen I wonder?

Ant cups from the hardware store. The ants go in. Bring the bait back to the hole. Cirrcular tins, you push in the tabs and put where moisture is present. Under the kitchen sink, in the bathroom by a sweating toilet etc.

Professional Poster

Ortho Home Defense spray in the gallon size...make a perimeter around everthing the ants never come back

Gold Poster

ezed: Went to Home Depot right after I posted this thread earlier today, and bought those, and the Terro clear gel type. Both items say give them a week to do their work. We'll see.

Otto: I'll look into it if those items I bought today don't end of working. Those little bastards get just a little summer heat, and out they come.

Thanks, youse guys.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Rookie Poster

there are also spikes that you can plant in your grass outside of your home...i put 3 or four outside last year and i have not had an ant in my home since....the key is to use something that has the worker ants bring the poison back to the nest. spray works, but it's effectiveness wears off quickly and you are sort of contaminating your home. it's also stinky...