Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

This is why i try very hard not to write checks. I too am like Vicki try to maintain the balance in my head.

anyway glad you learned your lesson Vicki babe

Harmless_pervert

Sorry if i offended ye, no wait I am not sorry, being offended is your problem not mine.

Junior Poster

Vicki,

I think your great, very beautiful, and from what I read on this board a very warm person, but I have to disagree with you on this...

Its not discriminatipon against the poor, it is what people get for financial irresponsibility...i.e. bouncing a check...you have no one to blame but yourself...

I used to be (and still am in some respects), financially irresponsible...Over the years I have probably paid over $400.00 in penalties for bounced checks and overdrafts (mainly while I was in college)..

It wasn't the banks fault or the person who I wrote the check to....It was my own fault for being to lazy to balance my checkbook....

I guess I am the oddman out here for taking an opposing viewpoint on this..hope you dont take it personally (and I hope I dont get slammed for it!)

It sounds like you learned your lesson though, like I did, after hundreds of dollars in penalties!

Junior Poster

Seems like a few here aren't getting Vicki's point. I do - loud and clear. Very witty stuff. (But did Grandma Tony have a problem with gay customers writing cheques on lesbian-only cheque writing nights?)

5 Star Poster

Heh... Thanks Sid.

This was a true experience, but I may or may not have written about it to make a point.

mtbazz - you are TOTALLY in your right to disagree with me in a constructive way like you did. You're absolutely right on. It is up to the individual to be responsible for themselves in reality.

However, I think how it was discrimination was because society finds all these clever ways of sapping their money. We give less fortunate people credit cards. but with 19.9% interest (22% if it's a Sears Card), we give them loans with insane payback interest, we offer them check cashing or advancing services which take 5-10% of their check, we have things called pawn shops where we give them hope that they will only temporarily be loaning the shop their things... Hell if they are REALLY desperate, we have loan sharks who charge immediate interest on the loans.

It's really sad. My story really highlights the check bouncing thing. While well-to-do people may bounce checks, it's a little unlikely. The financially challenged are more inclined to do it because of lack of education, lack of money, or as mtbazz suggested, lack of responsibility.

When you take $110 from someone who was already broke to begin with I am sure it teaches them a lesson, pretty harsh though. I think this is more addressing a social injustice.

Vicki "don't eat at Grandma Tony's in Tucson" Richter

ps - I realize that almost none of you live in Tucson, and the odds of any of you who do actually buying from Granda Tony's is pretty microscopic. Next up on my pulpet, my Verizon story...

Junior Poster

Yeah, I can see your point Vicki...There are people out there that are genuinley challenged financially....it is unfortuante that the system is set up to hurt them more than they are already hurting...but thats life for you sometimes...hard and painful!!

Professional Poster

Vicki, I'll make sure ol' Grandma Tony never gets any of my business if I am ever in Tuscon.

And because I myself have never been known for being financially wise or responsible, I prefer to pay for things with cash or money orders. I know neither of those two items will bounce. Or I'll use my ATM card but just make sure I have some money in it before I use it and include the service charge in whatever I buy.

Professional Poster

As a frequent lurker and infrequent contributor -I have to agree with mtbazz. We all know the rules of life - and while I feel bad for you (back then) - If any establishment gave everyone a "break" it would be us/me that would have to pick up the tab (so to speak)
    That being said - Vickie - I'll deliver a pizza to you anytime and anywhere!

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TSCURIOUS
    As a frequent lurker and infrequent contributor -I have to agree with mtbazz. We all know the rules of life - and while I feel bad for you (back then) - If any establishment gave everyone a "break" it would be us/me that would have to pick up the tab (so to speak)
    Hell.i'd even pay it.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by loki
    Quote Originally Posted by TSCURIOUS
    Hell.i'd even pay it.
    I'll deliver you a pizza , but I ain't takin no check from you! but I'm sure we could work something out or more like IN!!

Seriously though that was F'd up that they wouldn't work with you on it.

Professional Poster

I offer to deliver the pizza and everyone rides my coattails - of course I'm buying! In fact - I have nothing to do this weekend - so I'm packing for destinations to be determined-
    Vicki - Where are you?