Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Discrimination Against the Poor - $120 pizza

When I was 18 years old, I was young and irresponsible. I didn't maintain a checkbook register and instead always calculated my meager bank account balance in my head.

Well, that worked great until I spaced a "large" $100 payment and started bouncing checks. Wow that sucked. Anyway, one of the checks that bounced was to Grandma Tony's in Tucson. First I got the letter from them telling me I had to pay for the pizza plus $40 overdraft. $40!!! I had already paid a $25 fee from my bank for writing the check. So I was inclined to not pay this one. This was the dumb part. Grandma Tony's sent me to a collection agency who proceeded to call me, write me, etc, telling me that if I did not now pay their $110 fee in addition to my $12.00 pizza I would get taken to court and would have to pay not only the cost of the pizza and their fee, but they would request for me to pay for their lawyer fees as well (possibly making it a $500 pizza). The worst thing is the day I received that letter, I sent off a $52 check for the pizza to Grandma Tony's and they sent it back saying that wasn't good enough now.

Not really knowing what to do, and after much badgering, I sent them a check for $120.00. At the time I was making like $7.00 an hour part time (which was pretty good money for someone at the time) and working my way through college. Still $120 after taxes sucked. Yes I even called Grandma Tony's and requested leniency, but they were basically, "fack off".

What this all boils down to is like check cashing places, higher interest rates, etc, we, as a country are more inclined to discriminate against people who don't have the money in their accounts to pay for their pizza. There was definite social class discrimination in what happened to me. Today, I still don't do a check register, but I don't write checks either and I always have plenty of money in the bank to pay for stuff.

So please, do not eat at Grandma Tony's Pizza in Tucson. She's a poor hating non-understanding bitch. Wow I feel better now.

Junior Poster

hem hem ...I guess that soon there will be Allanah's reply.......

5 Star Poster

10 to 1 she doesn't. She'll almost definitely take the high road. I know she'll read it though. It's an entertaining story. I am sure it will have a strong impact on Grandma Tony's business.

Maybe, Vicki, but how large a percentage of Grandma Tony's clientel is TS or TS admirers? :P

I broke a filling once biting down on a stone in a pizza from a local takeout. Your story makes me sorry I didn't sue their ass.

Gold Poster

Hmmmm. One hundred-and-twenty dollar pizza, huh ? Geez, what kinda toppings did you order on it ?

Seriously, I think most of us in here can relate and probably have our own similar stories, Vicki. I think the restaurant did go to extreme measures though over a pizza. You'd think ???

Veteran Poster

A classic example of today's financial institutions and businesses. What is also distrubing the price that the uninsured paid for medical bills. Hospitals and doctors charge usually double or triple the actual amount and threat to ruin your credit if you do not pay. Reducing the original can also hurt your credit status.

Grandma Tony's? sounds like it was a tranny establishment LOL

Felicia

Default Re: Discrimination Against the Poor - $120 pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Richter

...What this all boils down to is like check cashing places, higher interest rates, etc, we, as a country are more inclined to discriminate against people who don't have the money in their accounts to pay for their pizza. There was definite social class discrimination in what happened to me. Today, I still don't do a check register, but I don't write checks either and I always have plenty of money in the bank to pay for stuff.
    You are definitely at the bottom of the economic food chain when you are poor. I had similar experiences when I was first starting out making very little money doing shit jobs.

Ok, I will definitely avoid that pizza place.

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    Hmmmm. One hundred-and-twenty dollar pizza, huh ? Geez, what kinda toppings did you order on it ?
    you can only top with meat

Pepperoni!!

what did you think I meant???

LOL

Felicia

good to see you back vickie. and yep you right the poor are the ones who get shafted in our country.