Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
    Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

Default Sexual Discrimination

Saturday night I was out with a couple of gay friends and we wanted to go out to a few gay spots...
    The gay community is usually wonderful to me and I really enjoy going to gay clubs...

HOWEVER

My friends wanted to stop by a popular NYC gay spot called Splash in the Chelsea area of New York-

Upon arrival, I was told I could not come in b/c no women allowed- ONLY MEN-
    In fact no transsexuals allowed...

I asked the doorman- isnt this against the law?
    And he said "yeah probably"

I am looking into all of my options and am speaking out against Club Splash in every chance I get.

Junior Poster

That's really sucks. Are they afraid you'll turn some gays straight...or... something? Good luck with breaking their balls.

Still Here 5 Star Poster

Didn't Amanda Lepore use to host a party there?

Allanah

Section 8-102 of chapter one of title eight of the administrative code of the city of New York was amended in 2003 by adding a new subdivision 23 to read as follows:

23. The term “gender” shall include actual or perceived sex and shall also include a person’s gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior or expression, whether or not that gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior or expression is different from that traditionally associated with the legal sex assigned to that person at birth.

It went into effect immediately

Section 8-101 prohibits "discrimination from playing any role in actions relating to employment, public accommodations and housing and other real estate"

Public Accomodation is defined as follows:
    "place or provider of public accommodation" shall include providers, whether licensed or unlicensed, of goods, services, facilities, accommodations. advantages or privileges of any kind, and places, whether licensed or unlicensed, where goods, services, facilities, accommodations, advantages or privileges of any kind are extended, offered, sold. or otherwise made available"

The agency to report them to is the New York Commission on Human Rights. You can get contact information here http://www.nyc.gov/html/cchr/home.html

Hope this helps

Felicia

No "Women" Allowed

Being a transsexual I have always felt very accepted and welcomed by the gay community. When I used to be a "club kid" or "drag queen" I was revered by gay audiences and welcomed nightly when I took the stage at gay night clubs. Even though I do not consider myself to be gay, as I am a transsexual, and sexual orientation and sexual identity are two different things, I have always had a lot of gay friends and felt a strong bond with the gay community.

Like many gay people, I grew up being tormented and harassed in school. I was discriminated and looked down upon because people always assumed I was gay because I was so effeminate. From the time I was five years old, I heard nothing but "fag, sissy, queer" from my peers at school until the time I graduated and finally "came out the closet." The reason I put quotation marks around came out the closet, because coming out as gay was really the only way I knew to identify with the feminine desires I had ;to wear make up, wear women's clothes, and be my attraction to other men. Boy, was I soon to discover that I was wrong.

I "came out" in Miami, where I lived at the time, which if you are not familiar with the gay scene in Miami Beach, lets just say that masculinity is revered and there is no room for effeminate boys who like make up, dresses, and high heels unless you are there to entertain them. I only had one gay relationship with another man in my life and that was when I was 17. From 18 on I began dressing up in women's clothes and wearing make up to go out at night. I became a very popular drag artists in Miami beach working in night clubs and in celebrity events such as in the then homes of Madonna, Versace, and The BeeGees. I was in a calendar, and was on the cover of greeting cards (which still exist). I never had a gay relationship or gay sex at that time b/c really no gay man in Miami was attracted to me. And quite frankly, I was not attracted to many gay men. By the time I turned 21, I finally came to terms with my true identity. All my life I had felt like a woman and so I decided to become a woman.

This has not been an easy life choice. Emotionally, socially, financially, or physically. I am much happier today than I know I would have ever been as a man. And please do not mistake my words, asI am not regretful nor am I asking for your pity. I knew this would be a long hard road and I am just stating the fact that transsexual life is hard. I have endured 30 some cosmetic operations, countless procedures, electrolysis, hormone therapy, and that just begins to describe the physical transformation. This is were I feel a certain keen ship with the gay community.
    I know what its like to have to work hard to be accepted, to have almost fight to have people respect you. As many minorities know, whether it be sexual or racial minorities, you always have to work extra hard to be respected for your abilities.

Which brings me to the point of this discussion. Saturday, February 26 I was out with my make up artist and another gay friend of ours and we had planned to go to a few gay spots around New York. First stop was Therapy in midtown Manhattan, in which we were welcomed with open arms
    and treated very well. Next, we decided to stop by Splash, a popular gay spot in the Chelsea area of NYC, that personally I had never been too.

When we approached the door, (mind you I was very well dressed in head to toe designer gear as I usually do when I go out) we were stopped by the door man who told us that my friends could come in but not me. I asked why and he said that the club, did not want transsexuals or women in there that night. I asked if it was a private party-his reply "no". Then, I asked if this was a private club-his reply "no". Then I asked if he thought this was against the law-his reply "probably so".

In fact IT IS against the law. I was denied entrance to a public place for the soul reason that I am a transsexual-that my friends is the ugly world we all know so well:
    DISCRIMINATION. In April 2004 the New York City Council passed a transgender anti discrimination bill that added the phrase "gender identity or statement" to NYC human rights laws.
    But not only was not I allowed in, but neither were two genetic women who had been denied entrance as well and were standing outside for a cab. Clearly this was a violation of our rights.

Now, how would you feel if you went to a public place and someone said "Sorry you cannot come in because you are a man, or black, or Spanish, or your blonde", etc. How would these people who run Splash feel if they went to a bar and they were told @ the door "I am sorry you can't come in because you are GAY". I am sure they would feel like shit. Which is exactly how I felt. I felt humiliated and embarrassed. I was there to have a good time and spend money-but because of my gender I was not good enough.

It is hard to believe that in this day and age gay clubs still have no women/no ts door policies. I understand the right of a PRIVATE establishment or PRIVATE party to only let certain individuals in. This was not the case this evening. This was a case of discrimination. The management at Splash should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen. In a day and age when gay people themselves are fighting for basic rights all humans should have, they themselves are creating their own forms of segregation and discrimination of the sexes.
    If simple equality can't begin @ a night club, then how can they expect the whole nation to understand?

Club Splash is located
    50 West 17 Street and their
    telephone number is
    212 691 0073

If you feel that their door policy is unfair and discriminatory please let them know that they need to END their discriminatory and sexist door policies!!!

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL

5 Star Poster

I can't fucking help myself. God help me. I think they had every right to not let you in. If they are going for a certain vibe with no women, then so be it. They are in business. It is their clientelle. First they let you in, then all of a sudden their whole community gets screwed up. They start getting cross dressers and gay guys in drag going... They start getting a whole element that they don't want. Maybe the owners realize that some guys like discretion and don't want women watching them do their thing. Also, what about your parties? What if gay guys started taking over? I guess you would probably like that and wouldn't care cause a door cover is a door cover, but there would be a lot of str8 or strays (straight guys who like TS also) who might not like it so much. You want it both ways. 99% of the tike you want the world to recognize and perceive you as a woman, but when you want to goto gay night at an all boy club, you feel discriminated against when you are treated as such.

Transsexuals associating/bonding with the gay community is something big that is wrong with transsexuals. There is a reason that "drag queen" is such an insult. They are generally there for comedy. You know, a big joke. It's like hey queeny gay guy, dress up as a woman and entertain us.

I can honestly say I have never been in a gay bar (except for that ridiculous lesbian club in NYC) and I've never felt a strong desire to go. Keep in mind... this is just me. I have friends like me... I have friends like you. We all get from A to Z in vastly different ways. I don't have problems with gay men or whatever. I just really don't think transsexuals need to hitch a ride on the gay community.

On that note... I only managed to stay away for a week. I suck.

Vicki

ps - I am glad you posted that address. Although I am not sure how many gay guys hang out on hungangels. I am kinda doubting you are going to hurt their business much.

WOW Vicki
    Sometimes I am just amazed at your train of thought and opinions but they are yours....

HOWEVER-
    I like going to all kinds of night clubs because I enjoy all kinds of people.
    What is wrong with a ts going to a gay bar..
    Splash is now trying to pull off a SUnday night TS night and they won't let a TS in on Saturdays?

BULLSHIT.

I welcome EVERYONE to my party.
    Couples, gays, lesbians, whomever
    I have always stressed that and I have all those "groups" of people at my events. I love all kinds of people and have many gay friends.

I'm glad your glad that I had to stand out in the cold and be embarrased
    as other people went in, and I being told I could not come in because of who I was.

5 Star Poster

and any GG who tried the same thing would get the same treatment. Cry me a river.

I just think it is laugh out loud funny that you are posting "don't goto a gay bar, it discriminates" on a transsexual web site. You do realize how ridiculous that is. A huge percentage of the guys here would never dream of going. Most of the girls would never want to go either. .ca has it up on her TS dating website too. You two really thing the gay boys hang out on TS sites? Are you that out of touch with the fanbase?

Poll... How many guys on this forum regularly attend gay clubs?

Junior Poster

Since you're obviously just trying to stir up beef, Vicki, I'll add my 'combative and vulgar' two cents' worth.

I once went to a lesbian club with a couple of strippers. If there's a harder place for a man to get into than a lesbian club, I haven't experienced it. But given the scenario, there was no reason for them to keep me out.

This isn't a matter of a gate crashing group of people taking over a club - this was a gay club saying 'no' to someone in the community that typically is defended by advocates and groups lumped together uder the acronym 'GLBT', if I am not mistaken.

But that aside, what if we were talking about an upscale store? or a restaurant? or a neighborhood? Like you say - it's not about the money, right? They can live without your money if they are trying to perpetuate a certain clientele, right? What if it was you this happened to, Vicki, would you be like - 'Oh, I completely understand'? What if every club had the same policy?

It's all about context. If it was a huge group of TS or women or whoever trying to 'crash' a gay club, or a group of straight men going to a lesbian club, or something like that... it's one thing. But that's not what this is about.

First of all Vicki-
    If u read my post CORRECTLY u would have read they said NO WOMEN 2-
    I saw 2 WOMEN that had been denied entrance as well outisde.

That is wrong as well- I am talking about this as a whole. Not just about transsexuals- IT just happens to be that I am a transsexual.

SO I am not looking for symphathy or anyone to cry me a river.
    I simply posted if anyone was interested in raising their objections to do so thats all. .ca offered to help because she felt the same way I did and posted it on her site.

And no I am not out of touch- because I think the men/women who read this and read my website main page and read my column on Jason Curious.com have interest in me as a person and this was a bad experience I had I felt I had to share.

I just happen to care about stuff like this- maybe you don't and thats fine

You think you are making a difference by doing bareback sex scenes in the world and I think I am making a difference by telling a club that their door policy is sexist and discriminatory- thats all

Different view points luv.