Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

An Imagined Conversation Between Simplicio and Savantus.

Savantus: Hi, Simplicio, how goes it?

Simplicio: Hello, Savantus. Not so well?

Savantus: Let me guess. You still have doubts your parents are really your parents.

Simplicio: I still have my doubts, yes.

Savantus: You look very much like them. You have your mother’s eyes and nose, your father’s chin and mouth.

Simplicio: No doubt we share those characteristics; I believe we are related. Possibly they are my grandparents.

Savantus: Your grandparents! Hey, I remember the last time we talked the three of you were having an DNA analysis done. How’d that go?

Simplicio: The doctors were happy enough, but to my mind it was inclusive.

Savantus: How so?

Simplicio: They determined that half of my chromosomes were identical to a subset of my alleged father's chromosomes and the other to my alleged mother's.

Savantus: How is that inclusive?

Simplicio: It’s just test tubes, microscopes and centrifuges. You know theoretical stuff.

Savantus: So you prefer to believe those are your grandparents and not your parents?

Simplicio: I have no choice. I have my grandfather’s mouth and chin, my grandmother’s eyes and nose. But I’m taller than both of them! Neither of them have my hairline or my smallish ears. There must be someone who shares more of my characteristics and theirs; a missing link between me and them…my parents.

Savantus: I see. Suppose you find your parents. Given that the number of possible characteristics is nearly infinite, do you suppose that you will have traits that neither of them share?

Simplicio: Possibly….but then there will be another gap. How will I know they are my real parents and not my grandparents?

Savantus: What if you never find a couple who fill the gap exactly as you expect? What if there is no "missing link"?

Simplicio: Obviously, if there's no one between the couple who I now take to be my grandparents and me, then I'm not even related to my presumed grandparents! If there's no link to join the chains, there are just two unrelated chains, right?

Savantus: You’ve got a real problem there, Simplicio.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    LMFAO at this zealot of a xian who is also an avowed cock-weasel....just ask yourself this IAMAMORONXXX: what would Jesus think?

Isn't there a bible fable that mentions something about bad things happening to sodomites like yourself, deacon?

And while you are denying evolution, would you also care to share with us your belief that the earth is flat, genius?
    are you calling him a sodomite because he likes oral sex or are you saying he is a sodomite because you think the females on this forum were not born emotionally and self identifiably female?

and that's why the cubs will never win the series

The truth is we did not evolve from primates nor did an entity created the universe in 7 days and 7 nights. We are a genetically engineered species.

They can't find the missing like because it doesn't exist. Humans do not fit into the natural cycle of species development on this planet for at all because we are not from this planet in totality. A superior race of beings came to this planet for resources. Only they needed a slave that would be better adapted to working in our environment. So they altered the dna of one of the creatures that was already here. One that had the physical characteristics that would allow them to perform the tasks required (this was a more recent relative of the primate). They infused some of their own dna into this creature and the end result was us.

If we evolved from primates why are they 10 times stronger than we are?

Why do we have 46 chromosomes to their 48? That's an awful lot of dna to just vanish.

That's the truth although it may be hard to believe. Religion however is a hoax. It preys on mans instinctual need to attempt to master the Oedipus Complex. God is the ultimate father figure and he keeps us safe from everything that goes bump in the night. www.zeitgeistmovie.com

"Give them nothing, but take from them, everything".. Spartan King Leonidas

http://www.redroom.com/video/tim-wis...whiteness-clip

Platinum Poster

A superior race of beings came to this planet for resources. Only they needed a slave that would be better adapted to working in our environment. So they altered the dna of one of the creatures that was already here. One that had the physical characteristics that would allow them to perform the tasks required (this was a more recent relative of the primate). They infused some of their own dna into this creature and the end result was us.
    LMAO...uh huh...makes perfect sense to me...and I thought that it was the bible bangers who were spouting nonsense...silly me

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Platinum Poster

A superior race of beings came to this planet for resources. Only they needed a slave that would be better adapted to working in our environment. So they altered the dna of one of the creatures that was already here. One that had the physical characteristics that would allow them to perform the tasks required (this was a more recent relative of the primate). They infused some of their own dna into this creature and the end result was us.
    Actually that sounds a lot like the BS that scientologists espouse, and look at all the schmucks that they've duped...maybe you could even start YOUR own religion, huh?

And it would also be tax-exempt(like scientology) so you could give more money to Zod!

Kneel before Zod!

defame conjectures:
    The truth is we did not evolve from primates... A superior race of beings came to this planet for resources. ... they altered the dna of one of the creatures that was already here.
    Actually this much of the story is consistent with the fact that we evolved from primates. However, the story rejects natural selection as the mechanism.
    But of course the story goes on...
    ... They infused some of their own dna into this creature and the end result was us.
    Now we do share something like 99% of our DNA with Chimpanzees. The codes that are distinct are not Earth shatteringly different from the codes we share. A lot of our biological differences stem simply from the timing of gene activation during morphogenesis.
    Why do we have 46 chromosomes to their 48? That's an awful lot of dna to just vanish.
    That's an interesting question. You should look it up (so should I but I'm kinda multitasking here at the moment already). As I recall reading, it can be shown that four of our chromosomes are halves of two of the Chimpanzee chromosomes. (If I get time, I get back to you on this point.)[Edit: Actually I've got it backwards. We've a fused pair of "ape" chromosomes. Hence we have one less pair than do apes, but almost exactly the same amount of genetic material. See my post below]
    Genetically, it seems our development is not out of the natural order of terrestrial events.
    If we evolved from primates why are they 10 times stronger than we are?
    If penquins evolved from birds...indeed are birds...why can't they fly? Because they came down from the skies and took to the land and water. We aren't as strong as apes because we came down from the trees, where upper arm strength is a requisite for survival.
    They can't find the missing like
    You don't doubt Penquins have evolved from flying birds, but do you have a link? There are lots of links that lead from Chimpanzee to Homo-sapiens. Where in the pantheon (of) primates is the gap any more significant than the gap between Penquin and it's nearest known ancestor?
    Indeed what counts as a gap? See my post above. The modern fossil evidence (DNA) shows no gaps in either line.

Natural selection and mutable genes make a sufficient and indeed a rather mundane explanation for the existence of humans on Earth. It is consistent with genetic and fossil evidence. It's internal and external consistency along with it(s) very mudane nature gives us reason to think it likely true.

Alien mutation of existencing species would "explain" the existence of humans on Earth too. But why should we believe it? Why Aliens? Why not Gods? Or God? What explains the existence of the Aliens or the Gods? Wouldn't their evolution have been unnatural on their planet? What you want us to believe is that the first conscious thinking species to evolve on a planet is by its nature unnatural and requires an explanation that goes beyond the biology of the host planet. That I don't buy.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

LUCY!

You got some 'splainin' to do!

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

we've a fused pair of chromosomes, explaining why we've got 46 instead of 48 chromosomes. Here's one elementary link on the topic:

http://www.evolutionpages.com/chromosome_2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    we've a fused pair of chromosomes, explaining why we've got 46 instead of 48 chromosomes. Here's one elementary link on the topic:

http://www.evolutionpages.com/chromosome_2.htm
    Trish what do you look like? I've been slowly falling in love with your mind with each post of yours I read.

"Give them nothing, but take from them, everything".. Spartan King Leonidas

http://www.redroom.com/video/tim-wis...whiteness-clip

Platinum Poster

Trish is so smart that it sometimes makes my head hurt just trying to understand what she says...