Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default High price for hot air( GlobalWarmingNOT!) CourierMail

High price for load of hot air

On the same day, NASA chief Michael Griffin commented in a US radio interview that "I am not sure that it is fair to say that (global warming) is a problem that we must wrestle with".

NASA is an agency that knows a thing or two about climate change. As Griffin added: "We study global climate change, that is in our authorisation, we think we do it rather well.

"I'm proud of that, but NASA is not an agency chartered to, quote, battle climate change."

Such a clear statement that science accomplishment should carry primacy over policy advice is both welcome and overdue.

Nonetheless, there is something worrying about one of Griffin's other statements, which said that "I have no doubt . . . that a trend of global warming exists".

Griffin seems to be referring to human-caused global warming, but irrespective of that his opinion is unsupported by the evidence.

The salient facts are these. First, the accepted global average temperature statistics used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change show that no ground-based warming has occurred since 1998. Oddly, this eight-year-long temperature stasis has occurred despite an increase over the same period of 15 parts per million (or 4 per cent) in atmospheric CO2.

Second, lower atmosphere satellite-based temperature measurements, if corrected for non-greenhouse influences such as El Nino events and large volcanic eruptions, show little if any global warming since 1979, a period over which atmospheric CO2 has increased by 55 ppm (17 per cent).

Third, there are strong indications from solar studies that Earth's current temperature stasis will be followed by climatic cooling over the next few decades.

How then is it possible for Griffin to assert so boldly that human-caused global warming is happening?

Well, he is in good company for similar statements have been made recently by several Western heads of state at the G8 summit meeting. For instance, German Chancellor Angela Merkel asserts climate change (i.e. global warming) "is also essentially caused by humankind".

In fact, there is every doubt whether any global warming at all is occurring at the moment, let alone human-caused warming.

For leading politicians to be asserting to the contrary indicates something is very wrong with their chain of scientific advice, for they are clearly being deceived. That this should be the case is an international political scandal of high order which, in turn, raises the question of where their advice is coming from.

In Australia, the advice trail leads from government agencies such as the CSIRO and the Australian Greenhouse Office through to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change of the United Nations.

As leading economist David Henderson has pointed out, it is extremely dangerous for an unelected and unaccountable body like the IPCC to have a monopoly on climate policy advice to governments. And even more so because, at heart, the IPCC is a political and not a scientific agency.

Australia does not ask the World Bank to set its annual budget and neither should it allow the notoriously alarmist IPCC to set its climate policy.

It is past time for those who have deceived governments and misled the public regarding dangerous human-caused global warming to be called to account. Aided by hysterical posturing by green NGOs, their actions have led to the cornering of government on the issue and the likely implementation of futile emission policies that will impose direct extra costs on every household and enterprise in Australia to no identifiable benefit.

Not only do humans not dominate Earth's current temperature trend but the likelihood is that further large sums of public money are shortly going to be committed to, theoretically, combat warming when cooling is the more likely short-term climatic eventuality.

In one of the more expensive ironies of history, the expenditure of more than $US50 billion ($60 billion) on research into global warming since 1990 has failed to demonstrate any human-caused climate trend, let alone a dangerous one.

Yet that expenditure will pale into insignificance compared with the squandering of money that is going to accompany the introduction of a carbon trading or taxation system.

The costs of thus expiating comfortable middle class angst are, of course, going to be imposed preferentially upon the poor and underprivileged.

Professor Bob Carter is an environmental scientist at James Cook University who studies ancient climate change

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-27197,00.html

When people abandon the truth, they don’t believe in nothing, they believe in anything.

5 Star Poster

From the Sydney Morning Herald, a serious newspaper:
    Minchin denies climate change man-made

Wendy Frew Environment Reporter
    Sydney Morning Herald
    March 15, 2007

A SENIOR Federal Government minister has expressed serious doubts global warming has been caused by humans, relying on non-scientific material and discredited sources to back his claim.

One month after a United Nations scientific panel delivered its strongest warning yet that humans were causing global warming, the Finance Minister, Nick Minchin, has questioned the link between fossil fuels and greenhouse gas pollution.

In a letter he wrote on March 5 to Clean Up Australia's founder, Ian Kiernan, Senator Minchin took issue with Mr Kiernan's criticism of the minister's scepticism.

"Putting whatever my views might be to one side, I am nevertheless interested in your apparent opinion that anyone who remains to be convinced that anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions are the cause of climate change is a scientific loony," Senator Minchin said. "I therefore enclose for your information material which indicates that a number of eminent scientists remain in the 'sceptical' camp."

Senator Minchin appears to have taken his advice in part from a collection of columns written by the Canadian newspaper columnist Lawrence Solomon. Among those was one promoting the work of Danish scientist Henrik Svensmark. But that research has proved to contain numerous calculation and methodological errors, say some other scientists.

Senator Minchin also referred Mr Kiernan to a critique of the economic review of global warming by Sir Nicholas Stern. One author of the critique was the retired James Cook University professor Bob Carter. Professor Carter, whose background is in marine geology, appears to have little, if any, standing in the Australian climate science community. He is on the research committee at the Institute of Public Affairs, a think tank that has received funding from oil and tobacco companies, and whose directors sit on the boards of companies in the fossil fuel sector.

A spokesman for Senator Minchin yesterday defended the credibility of the material sent to Mr Kiernan. "The senator stands by his comments in that letter," the spokesman said.

Professor Carter told the Herald yesterday the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change had uncovered no evidence the warming of the planet was caused by human activity. He said the role of peer review in scientific literature was overstressed, and whether or not a scientist had been funded by the fossil fuel industry was irrelevant to the validity of research.

"I don't think it is the point whether or not you are paid by the coal or petroleum industry," said Professor Carter. "I will address the evidence."

A former CSIRO climate scientist, and now head of a new sustainability institute at Monash University, Graeme Pearman, said Professor Carter was not a credible source on climate change. "If he has any evidence that [global warming over the past 100 years] is a natural variability he should publish through the peer review process," Dr Pearman said. "That is what the rest of us have to do." He said he was letting the fossil fuel industry off the hook.

Of Senator Minchin's letter, he said: "I am worried that a federal minister would believe this crap."
    And from Wiki:
    Like most newspapers owned by News Corporation [also owners of Fox News], The Courier-Mail generally supports free market economic policies and the process of globalisation. It supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The quality of coverage is perceived to be more sensationalist and less serious compared to broadsheets The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian, however its journalism is not as lurid or populist as other Australian tabloids such as The Daily Telegraph in Sydney.
    Next, please!

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

5 Star Poster

From the Sydney Morning Herald, a

Next, please!
    Reid Bryson, the 87-year-old considered to be the father of scientific climatology, has once again spoken out strongly against anthropogenic global warming theories being regularly disseminated by alarmists in the media and the scientific community.

There is no question the earth has been warming. It is coming out of the "Little Ice Age," he said in an interview this week.

"However, there is no credible evidence that it is due to mankind and carbon dioxide. We've been coming out of a Little Ice Age for 300 years. We have not been making very much carbon dioxide for 300 years. It's been warming up for a long time," Bryson said.

The Little Ice Age was driven by volcanic activity. That settled down so it is getting warmer, he said.

Humans are polluting the air and adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, but the effect is tiny, Bryson said.

"It's like there is an elephant charging in [sic, the room] and you worry about the fact that there is a fly sitting on its head. It's just a total misplacement of emphasis," he said. "It really isn't science because there's no really good scientific evidence."

Just because almost all of the scientific community believes in man-made global warming proves absolutely nothing, Bryson said. "Consensus doesn't prove anything, in science or anywhere else, except in democracy, maybe."

For the alarmists who love to depict every skeptic as being on the take of oil companies:

Bryson, 87, was the founding chairman of the department of meteorology at UW-Madison and of the Institute for Environmental Studies, now known as the Gaylord Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies. He retired in 1985, but has gone into the office almost every day since. He does it without pay.

"I have now worked for zero dollars since I retired, long enough that I have paid back the people of Wisconsin every cent they paid me to give me a wonderful, wonderful career. So we are even now. And I feel good about that," said Bryson.

So, if global warming isn't such a burning issue, why are thousands of scientists so concerned about it?

"Why are so many thousands not concerned about it?" Bryson shot back.

"There is a lot of money to be made in this," he added. "If you want to be an eminent scientist you have to have a lot of grad students and a lot of grants. You can't get grants unless you say, 'Oh global warming, yes, yes, carbon dioxide.'"

Bryson then pointed out how the media work:

Reporters will often call the meteorology building seeking the opinion of a scientist and some beginning graduate student will pick up the phone and say he or she is a meteorologist, Bryson said. "And that goes in the paper as 'scientists say.'"

The word of this young graduate student then trumps the views of someone like Bryson, who has been working in the field for more than 50 years, he said. "It is sort of a smear."

Of course, then some ignoramus will copy the opinions of this graduate student and dissiminate them throughout the blogosphere as yet another example of the consensus.

Bryson said he recently wrote something on the subject and two graduate students told him he was wrong, citing research done by one of their professors. That professor, Bryson noted, is probably the student of one of his students.

"Well, that professor happened to be wrong," he said.

"There is very little truth to what is being said and an awful lot of religion. It's almost a religion. Where you have to believe in anthropogenic (or man-made) global warming or else you are nuts."

While Bryson doesn't think that global warming is man-made, he said there is some evidence of an effect from mankind, but not an effect of carbon dioxide.

For example, in Wisconsin in the last 100 years the biggest heating has been around Madison, Milwaukee and in the Southeast, where the cities are. There was a slight change in the Green Bay area, he said. The rest of the state shows no warming at all.

"The growth of cities makes it hotter, but that was true back in the 1930s, too," Bryson said. "Big cities were hotter than the surrounding countryside because you concentrate the traffic and you concentrate the home heating. And you modify the surface, you pave a lot of it."

Bryson didn't see Al Gore's movie about global warming, "An Inconvenient Truth."

"Don't make me throw up," he said. "It is not science. It is not true."

Wisconsin’s Capital Times

When people abandon the truth, they don’t believe in nothing, they believe in anything.

Veteran Poster

Default Re: High price for hot air( GlobalWarmingNOT!) CourierMail

Quote Originally Posted by White_Male_Canada
    High price for load of hot air
    A load of hot air is all that article is, _Canada. From the same link:

To all the people who are so desperately offended by my revealing that Prof Carter's piece is not the result of patient scientific work in his field but mere opinion. Opinion, moreover, that can't be trusted because he never reveals his business affiliations.
    Strangely many of you seem to be singing from the same fake songsheet about alleged 'scientific doubt' over anthropocentric Global warming, so may I make a small wager.
    Give me one peer-reveiwed, published scientific paper that actually casts doubt on Global Warming and it's human causes and I'll never mention the subject here again. Just one that points to sunspots, the moon, the wobble of the Earth's orbit or the prevalence of extra-marital sex in our society as the pre-eminent cause of Global Warming instead of CO2, methane and nitrous oxide etc.
    I can tell you now you won't find one, not in Nature, not in Science, not in Geophysical Letters or any other scientific journal - and if it aint in a scientific journal baby, it ain't science! Not even Prof Carter has published one. He can't because he has no evidence to back up his viewpoint! He gets published in the Courier Mail and a rightwing economics magazine (critiquing the Stern Report), neither of which are scientific journals which have to check the accuracy of the science.
    Cheers Jeff
    Posted by: Jeff Poole of Wynnum 5:02pm today

Very well said, Jeff Poole of Wynnum!

Science always trumps opinion, at least with any logical, reasoned person. New study by NASA:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0509210100.htm

Epic drought in Australia:
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2465960.ece
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/...941942,00.html

Btw _Canada, has your scalp grown back yet? If not, I'll have to take your head if you lose the forthcoming rematch.

Junior Poster

Got junk ?

Professor Robert (Bob) Carter, is "a researcher at the Marine Geophysical Laboratory at James Cook University", Australia. A March 2007 article in the Sydney Morning Herald noted that "Professor Carter, whose background is in marine geology, appears to have little, if any, standing in the Australian climate science community." He is a well known climate change skeptic.

Carter is a member of the right-wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs, a right-wing, corporate funded think tank based in Melbourne. Its key policy positions include advocacy for privatisation, deregulation, reduction in the power of unions and denial of most significant environmental problems, including climate change.

Stop funding climate change denial"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,,1876539,00.html

5 Star Poster

A load of hot air is all that article is, _Canada. From the same link:

Cheers Jeff
    Posted by: Jeff Poole of Wynnum 5:02pm today
    Hilarious ! Wait, I`ll go retrieve a post from someone who posted their comment under his !

Science always trumps opinion, at least with any logical, reasoned person. New study by NASA:
    A 10 degree increse in by 2080 !? LOL I have a computer program that predicts the NYSE average for the next 100 years. Give me all your money and I`ll invest it for you.

Uh, yeah.

Cleanup begins as eastern Australia floods recede
    http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/new...s/s1948312.htm

Nine die in Australia floods
    http://itn.co.uk/news/a7bcdf999001ba...9a1d472f0.html

Btw _Canada, has your scalp grown back yet? If not, I'll have to take your head if you lose the forthcoming rematch.
    Facts are facts, you`re a joke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unwmo_389.gif 
Views:	761 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	106006  

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by North_of_60
    Got junk ?

Professor Robert (Bob) Carter, is "a researcher at the Marine Geophysical Laboratory at James Cook University", Australia. A March 2007 article in the Sydney Morning Herald noted that "Professor Carter, whose background is in marine geology, appears to have little, if any, standing in the Australian climate science community." He is a well known climate change skeptic.

Carter is a member of the right-wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs, a right-wing, corporate funded think tank based in Melbourne. Its key policy positions include advocacy for privatisation, deregulation, reduction in the power of unions and denial of most significant environmental problems, including climate change.

Stop funding climate change denial"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,,1876539,00.html
    And you would prefer say, James Hansen ?

Veteran Poster

Hilarious ! Wait, I`ll go retrieve a post from someone who posted their comment under his !
    Point still stands, and that goes for senior citizen Reid Bryson as well (I doubt he knows what a computer looks like, never mind a computer model):
    Give me one peer-reveiwed, published scientific paper that actually casts doubt on Global Warming and it's human causes...

A 10 degree increse in by 2080 !? LOL I have a computer program that predicts the NYSE average for the next 100 years. Give me all your money and I`ll invest it for you.
    Yeah, 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Or is that your dyslexia again?

Extreme Weather On The Rise As Greenhouse Gases Drive Climate
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1006154052.htm

You`re a joke.
    Oh look, you've lost again, _Canada. I'd be better off spending my time reading books by Al Gore and Lowell Ponte, than spending it debating with you.

Name:	bored_952.jpg 
Views:	810 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	106009  

Veteran Poster

Antarctica has a massive impact on the temperature of the Southern Hemisphere, and consequently the global mean temperature:
    So what is happening in Antarctica? The cooling is due to a strengthening of the circular winds around the continent, which prevent warmer air reaching its interior. The increased wind speeds seem to be a result of cooling in the upper atmosphere, caused by the hole in the ozone layer above the pole, which is of course the result of chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) pollution.

Confusingly, it appears that one human impact on the climate – the Antarctic ozone hole – is currently compensating for another, global warming. If the ozone layer recovers over the decades as expected, the circular winds could weaken, resulting in rapid warming.

http://environment.newscientist.com/...change/dn11648

Northern Hemisphere temperature:
    http://environment.newscientist.com/...1648-2_726.jpg

Now I'm away to order Al Gore's book on Amazon, _Canada, so I can have something more intelligent to spend my time with than you. Face it, you got nothing.

Name:	an_inconvenient_truth_110.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	106016  

5 Star Poster

Point still stands
    Fuck off Points stands !? A-ha-haa. Now we have an opinion of an opinion masquerading as fact.

Yeah, 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Or is that your dyslexia again?
    I have an idea, let`s take faulty CGMs, extrapolate the graphs in some catastrophic way up to 2080 and beyond and shoot a cynical movie about all these threats.

Extreme Weather On The Rise As Greenhouse Gases Drive Climate
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1006154052.htm

LOL Thanks, I needed a good laugh for the day. You`re droughts have dried up so you run back to the old " man-made CO2 is causing chaos" theory.

Max Mayfield, National Hurricane Center , told a congress that the Atlantic Ocean is in a cycle of increased hurricane activity that parallels an increase that started in the 1940s and ended in the 1960s.

Under questioning by members of the Senate Commerce subcommittee on disaster prevention and prediction, he shrugged off the notion that global warming played a role, saying instead it was a natural cycle in the Atlantic Ocean that fluctuates every 25 to 40 years.

Give me one peer-reveiwed, published scientific paper that actually casts doubt on Global Warming and it's human causes...
    Peer review the facts dufus. 2006 was

-colder than 2005
    -colder than 2004
    -colder than 2003
    -colder than 2002
    -colder than 1998

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/te...adcrut3vgl.txt

Still bringing butter knives to a gunfight retard? You`re easier than a 5 dollar Bangkok whore.

Name:	alitsover_144.gif 
Views:	733 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	106020