Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0068l_653.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	105583  

When people abandon the truth, they don’t believe in nothing, they believe in anything.

5 Star Poster

Hey, WMC, when you're not talking politics, maybe you're not such a bad guy after all. If we could just keep you out of the Politics and Religion forum, you might actually earn some respect here.

Here's a vid you might like, just for you (consider it my olive branch to you):

But, on that subject, I think though a deaf person cannot hear music through his or her ears he can still play music in his head. Beethoven composed much of his music while deaf or nearly deaf and Mozart apparently didn't even need an instrument to write his music- he just wrote it down the way you and I write down words on paper.

Very few musicians have reached that level of genius since. John Lennon, maybe; Hendrix could do stuff with a guitar that most people couldn't even imagine; maybe a handful of others...

But nowadays the words are as important as the music. Dylan writes memorable music, even though it is simple (easy enough for beginners to play on the guitar) and his singing is not that good (when Manfred Mann first heard Dylan one of them asked why Dylan didn't get a better singer to sing his songs). But Dylan's lyrics are just brilliant. Many of Dylan's songs sound better when covered by Manfred Mann, the Byrds or Peter Paul and Mary than in the original form.

As for other great composers since the 50s, I'd include Chuck Berry, Paul Simon, Ray Davies, Neil Young, Robbie Robertson, Keith and Mick, Paul McCartney (the two leading Beatles wrote separately even though they were credited together), Smokey Robinson, Robbie Krieger (who wrote most of the Doors music with Morrison writing the lyrics), Marvin Gaye, Don McLean and a handful more- all brilliant but none of them geniuses.

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Professional Poster

I'm going through one of my "nothin' but Howlin Wolf shall be played in my house" stages. I'll rotate through that into a "nothin' but Ramones" stage and then over to a "Dick Dale is God" mood. Throw in a Big Joe Turner/Little Richard month and that's about it.

BTW,the Anti-Morrissey law of 1988 remains in effect within my hearing range. Violators will be shot. (I'd shoot him,but the scrawny lil' pecker hides from me.)

Ancient Pervert.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

My iPod is half classical and half jazz. Got a lot of J.S.Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Wagner, Debussy, Ravel, Mahler, Shoenberg, Webern, Sibelius, Messiaen, Glass etc. On the jazz side I go for Monk, Coltrane, Stitt, Rollins, Silver, Mingus, Bley etc.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Rookie Poster

Dream Theater are easily the best thing ive ever seen live, by a long long way,

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    My iPod is half classical and half jazz. Got a lot of J.S.Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Wagner, Debussy, Ravel, Mahler, Shoenberg, Webern, Sibelius, Messiaen, Glass etc. On the jazz side I go for Monk, Coltrane, Stitt, Rollins, Silver, Mingus, Bley etc.
    can I call you "Trish the dish"?

it's a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with an axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!

Junior Poster

I'm an ecclectic. I love most kinds of music with the exceptions being folk, bluegrass and a majority of the opera. But i love everything else from classical to hip hop, punk to heavy metal, trance/house to modern country (the kinds where you still own a dog, the truck works and your girlfriend hasn't left you for another man).

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit... what a ride!"
    -Anon-

JOHNNY GUITAR WATSON A REAL MOTHER 1977

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSrvyjCnjGU

Freddie King Ain`t No Sunshine When She`s Gone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=16AnGcB7MHA

Jonny Lang - Quitter Never Wins

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrb...ever-wins-live

Ike & Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23...sh-city-limits

millie jackson - Gwen Mcrae - Ann Sexton - Betty Wright

Professional Poster

Is Johnny Watson still alive? I literally grew up listening to his records.

Ike Turner is one of the more underrated artists of our time. He and Jackie Brenston recorded what was arguably the first rock and roll record and as a talent scout he was instrumental in getting guys like BB King and Howlin' Wolf steady recording work and recognition. Crazy as Hell,but Ike is mighty man.

Speaking of guys like that,Willie Dixon was the king of talent scout/songwriters/musicians. He made Chess Records what it was and drove that post-war Chicago blues scene with his songwriting and eye for talent. Wasn't a bad bass player either.

Ancient Pervert.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Mainly into rap and R&B. Love Philly Soul (O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, et.al.) I get into classic rock here and there, and I love jazz as well... specifically fusion jazz.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.