Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default FF:Rise of The Silver Surfer Opens Today

So who is gonna put up with the crowds today,i have a feeling this one will be better then the last?

Junior Poster

The only thing I'm concerned with is if the rumors are true that Galactus will only be some planet-eating cloud. Whoever came up with that idea should have his ass whipped.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by General124
    The only thing I'm concerned with is if the rumors are true that Galactus will only be some planet-eating cloud. Whoever came up with that idea should have his ass whipped.
    im excited to see it... as far as galactus goes... i was dissapointed w/ the idea he would just be a cloud but when you think about it... they have been trying to make the comic movies more realistic in a sence *x-men wore all black plain leather costumes and wolverine said "what didja expect me to wear? yellow and blue?"* so it only make sence that galactus is a cloud bc ppl that arent comic readers wouldnt quite understand how this man floats around space doing what he does... the cloud actually makes a lot of sence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff2_142.jpg 
Views:	1081 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	105522  

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

I'm waiting until more reviews come in. The one I read today was 1 out of 4 stars, but it wasn't from a very reliable source.

I will not see it if Galactus is reduced to a cloud. I get all the reasonings for this, and the possible cloaking device would be plausible, but you just don't fuck with the Big Purple And Blue. That could have been the special effects event of the year. Easy.

Name:	galactus_201.jpeg 
Views:	1102 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	105532  

Junior Poster

I didn't see the first one, so I won't be seeing this one. They just don't get me excited.

"Yay. More comic book movies. Whoop-dee-dooo...zZzZ."

If Frank Miller, on the other hand, did it, I'd probably go see it. Ever since I saw Sin City and 300, I'm so his bitch. lol

Hmm... maybe later.

Now that is the Fantastic Four! My wife and I just got back from the theatre (2 pm showing on Friday, no crowd, but I'm sure that won't be true tomorrow), and we both agree, this is how a superhero movie is made. I'd say it beat the first FF movie by a factor of 10 at least. The characterizations were spot on (I even liked Reed this time, and I couldn't stand him the first time, and more, I actually liked von Doom this time--even if he still isn't the real von Doom), the pacing was excellent, and the movie was neither too lean nor stretched out too long. Both of us the opposite feeling about Spidey 3: it was too long and tried to do too much (which is better than aiming low and trying for too little story), but FF: Rise hit it on the mark. This movie stands with my all-time favorite superhero adaptations, Superman I & II and Batman I, and even surpassed X2 which my wife and I both liked a lot (and we both thought X3 was largely a waste of film).

The Galactus as a cloud thing was fine by me: we didn't need to see the giant man inside the cloud, at least not this time around. While that image works in comics, I think it would have weakened the movie, and it would have taken too much from the rest of the storyline or added at least 30 minutes to the film if not an hour (and I think the 1.5 hour length was ideal). We know Galactus is a mean sumbitch; the story isn't him, it's how the FF and the Surfer respond to him.

The Surfer was deftly handled, and the flight scenes with the Torch are what CGI is made for.

*********SPOILER ALERT****************

My only quibble is overly associating the Surfer's power with his surfboard, but it worked very well and logically plotwise, so I have no problem with that.

All the backstory was excellent, from Stan Lee crashing the wedding (a cameo as himself this time) to Johnny seeking all the corporate endorsements. Among other qualities, what fundamentally sets the FF apart from all other superheroes and especially superhero teams is that they are a family (brother, sister, husband, best friend), and that came through with flying colors.

I don't want to give too much away, but the nice surprise for me was that they not only retold the most classic comic of all time (FF #50), but they also deftly tied in the classic tale of Doom and the Surfer.

Four stars. This is what a summer movie should be.

Junior Poster

Comics rarely make a good transition to movies. Look at any Alan Moore movie.

I hate F4 because it was more of a product than a true movie, just like Ghost Rider or the third X-Men filom without Brian Singer. This new film is already trying to take attention off of the the fantastic four and focus it on the silver surfer, why? because they have little chemistry when they act, and because the first movie was no where near as successful as projected.

I'm all geeked out for the day.

it's a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with an axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!

stillies77

Quote Originally Posted by General Disarray
    Comics rarely make a good transition to movies. Look at any Alan Moore movie.

I hate F4 because it was more of a product than a true movie, just like Ghost Rider or the third X-Men filom without Brian Singer. This new film is already trying to take attention off of the the fantastic four and focus it on the silver surfer, why? because they have little chemistry when they act, and because the first movie was no where near as successful as projected.

I'm all geeked out for the day.

Lately most comics dont seem good...however V for Vendetta being a moore adaptation was an amazing movie! Lately every comic book movie has been disappointing to me its like they arent trying hard anymore...at least its only one year until The Dark Knight...new costume looks sick! I will be seeing FF tonight at 10:30 and ill tell you guys what i thought of it.

V for Vendetta and Sin City and the like are in a different class. I agree both of these were brilliant (even though I found Sin City too blatantly violent for my tastes) and deserver comparison with Kill Bill or Enter the Dragon rather than a superhero adaptation, which if anything would be closer to a film like Serenity or The Fifth Element (both of which are faves). Hellboy kind of crosses over these two sub-genres, and I liked that one. I'm hopeful regarding The Watchmen, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic
    V for Vendetta and Sin City and the like are in a different class. I agree both of these were brilliant (even though I found Sin City too blatantly violent for my tastes) and deserver comparison with Kill Bill or Enter the Dragon rather than a superhero adaptation, which if anything would be closer to a film like Serenity or The Fifth Element (both of which are faves). Hellboy kind of crosses over these two sub-genres, and I liked that one. I'm hopeful regarding The Watchmen, but we'll see.
    Ok...I'm going to continue the off topic discussions. V for Vendetta was a good film despite all the changes. Alan Moore wasn't too happy with the changes apparently.

Sin City was amazing because it was like a panel by panel recreation of the original comic series. Although, Jessica Alba's character was topless in the original work...A few changes were made obviously. I'm not much of a fan of Sin City, but I enjoyed the movie. It's a part of my dvd collection. 300 was amazing as well.

The adaption I'm curious to see is "Watchmen". 300 director Zack Snyder is about to start filming this film. Another Alan Moore story. I'm wondering how it will come out.

Watchmen is set in 1985, in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union (the Doomsday Clock is at five minutes to midnight). It tells the story of a group of past and present superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own. Watchmen depicts superheroes as real people who must confront ethical and personal issues, who struggle with neuroses and failings, and who - with one notable exception - lack anything recognizable as super powers. Watchmen's deconstruction of the conventional superhero archetype, combined with its innovative adaptation of cinematic techniques and heavy use of symbolism, multi-layered dialogue, and metafiction, has influenced both comics and film.

As for the F4 film, I don't know when I will see it. I think I wanted to hear what people thought about the film first. Maybe I'll see the film this weekend or next week. Galactus could've been in the film though

Name:	galactus_head_212.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	106042