Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Gay/Lesbian or Transgender role in the Trek Universe

I was watching DS9 and thought to myself that star trek has had almost every gender and race character in a major role be it via captain or second in command except for a gay/lesbian or transgender character in a major role well to be fair to trek has had many lesbian scenes and hinted to a couple of male characters being gay,you have to praise roddenberry for his efforts to put characters on his show regardless of their race or sexual orientation.

White Male

Older White Male

African American Male

White Female

Second In Command Characters

African American Male

Hispanic Male

Other minority chacters in Minor Roles

African American Female

African American Male

Hispanic Female

So in theory a gay/lesbian or transgender character has to be next in line to be in a major role be it captain or second in command.

5 Star Poster

Iinteresting.

I would figure that in the 24th century as shown in startrek the humans all seem to have a very liberal attitude about most things. So if a person is gay it would not show up in an obvious way.

In speaking of DS9 do you remember the episode where Quark for one of his schemes had to have a sex change? In 2400 I think that tech will have advanced considerably. All the transsexuals of that time would pass perfectly. Then there is Dr. Bashir himself. Many people read him as being gay/bi. He is not an ugly man yet he only expressed interest in a female once in all of those years.

Professional Poster

doesnt q come off as rather gay? i never really watched tng but those few episodes i know he did seem very much gay

additionally there were quite a few gay undertones in the orirginal crew (which btw is the only one worth watching buy i digress) which were brilliantly spoofed by a german comedy trio

Elvis: I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife 'cilla and bust it by jackin' off.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by muhmuh
    doesnt q come off as rather gay? i never really watched tng but those few episodes i know he did seem very much gay

additionally there were quite a few gay undertones in the orirginal crew (which btw is the only one worth watching buy i digress) which were brilliantly spoofed by a german comedy trio
    LOL yeah Q appears totally gay but he´s one of the coolest characters in the whole Star Trek universe.

I think it was last year when George Takei from the first Star Trek episodes had his coming-out.

Star Trek rules.

Are you talking about characters or actors? Tuvok is Vulcan, not African-American, Chakotay is Native American, not Hispanic, and B'Elanna Torres is half-Klingon, half-Hispanic.

And then there's Dr. Phlox from Enterprise: while a hetero male Denobulan, his is an intriguing marital arrangement. As is the practice on Denobula, he has three wives, each of whom has two other husbands.

The most interesting species on TV sf as regards sex however must be the Centauri of Babylon 5: "The sexual organs of the Centauri are quite different from those of humans, and they are in a different location than the human sex organs. Male Centauri have six tentacle-like genital organs that extend out from the sides of the body and "fold" in over the solar plexus when not in use. The males can stretch the tentacles out to several feet. These tentacles are somewhat prehensile, to the extent that they can be used to cheat in card games. Females have six narrow receptive orifices, three on either side of the base of the spine, just above the hips. The male places the tentacles in the female orifices individually. Only one tentacle is necessary to inseminate, however." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centauri

Professional Poster

Paints a..ahem...interesting picture..

I dont think sexuality applies to the Q Continuum at all....when you can do whatever you want i think alot of human concepts lose all meaning.

Professional Poster

DS9 was my favorite trek show. It was a little more gritty than the rest.

But you forgot to mention Dax, who was kind of a transexual. Before she changed bodies she was a man who was also Sisko's mentor. Which is why he always referred to her as "old man."

It was also a TNG episode where the Doctor fell in love with a guy that was about to change bodies. When he did his next body was a female.

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

Rookie Poster

There have been a few. Phloz was mentioned. Lieutenant Hawk, the pilot in "First Contact" was gay. Elim Garak of DS9 may have been. Most of the mirror universe is bisexual in a general hedonistic way. And more than a couple one-off characters have been implied, etc.

Anyway, as I said, this was all 'implied'. Roddenberry wanted gays on the ship in TNG, but he died before any appeared. (Although season 2 villain Kivas Fajo is a possibility.) Since then, many have indicated, and Ronald Moore has blatantly stated that someone higher up the franchise food chain is keeping gays out of Starfleet. Many blame Rick Berman based on his elusive answers when asked about possible gay crew.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garak_139.png 
Views:	1125 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	104486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawk_144.jpg 
Views:	1123 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	104487  

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Platinum Poster

wrong!!!!!!!!!! chakotay wasnt hispanic

he was native american indian

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ast/69080.html

and officer kim was asian decent you didnt put any ladyboys in this group... so heres one

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ast/69087.html

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

amazing that the one definite homosexual trekker was not shown yet

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ