View Poll Results: Do you think transexuals are usually portrayed in a postive or a negative light in films and music?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mostly positive

7 8.05%
  • Mostly negative

36 41.38%
  • A bit of both, really

44 50.57%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

I'm suprised no one has said anything about:

40 year old virgin
    Ace Ventura
    White Chicks

Rookie Poster

Made for TV movie: A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story

This is one of those with "real transgender women" which you'd think would be positive right? I was online once with a woman who was an extra for the show... when they did the screen tests the "real transgendered women" looked like women!

Oops...

So they got the makeup people to ugly them them up so they looked like what they were "supposed" to look like for the stereotypes to play right. If they hadn't, the audience wouldn't have understood how authentic the scene was. Or something.

Yay for the media![/sarcasm]

didn't see mention of "Victor/Victoria".

Synopsis:
    The place and time is Paris during the 1930s. Men who can sing as women are all the rage. Desperate for a gig, Victoria, a woman, disguises herself as a man pretending to be a woman. She is all the rage in Paris, as audiences fully believe that she is a he who is just pretending to be a she. Things get even more complicated after the gangster, King Marchan, happens upon a show with Victoria. To his dismay, King Marchan finds that he is falling in love with this man – Victoria. Meanwhile, King's tough bodyguard, Squash, falls in love with Victoria's truly male friend, Toddy. In the end, Victor reveals that he is really Victoria meaning that King Marchan is not homosexual, as he feared.

Rookie Poster

T-Rex's Solid 'Gold Easy Action' is about a TS.

Veteran Poster

And who can forget "Tootsie" in which Dustin Hoffman has that great line:
    "I was a better man with you, as a woman, than I ever was with a woman, as a man. Know what I mean? I just gotta learn to do it without the dress."

ceci n'est pas une signature.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCe
    Did anyone see Holiday Heart? It featured Ving Rhames as a Drag Queen. And yes he did look as bad as one imagines, but its a good movie.

IFC shows a film by the name of "Different For Girls". I'm sure someone already mentioned it.
    I have seen 'Holiday Heart, twice on BET. I was pleasantly surprised
    at Ving Rhames ability to portray a drag queen. It was actually a pretty
    decent movie, a bit of a tear-jerker.

Another tear-jerker was Different For Girls, which had a number of poignant moments.

Guess, you could say I cry easily at movies.

Did anyone mention "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newar"? Probably...

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Professional Poster

Kathleen Turner made a couple of appearances on Friends playing Chandler's MTF dad.(Mom?)

I was listening to old compilation of NYC mid-70's punk the the other day. Everyone's favorite punk rock TS,Wayne/Jayne County and the Back Street Boys were doing "Max's Kansas City" on it.

It was rumored that Mink DeVille's "Venus of Avenue D" was about a TG,but that's never been confirmed as far as I know?

Ancient Pervert.

there's a show on fx called 'the riches' that has a ts kid character. it's not that good, but it's interesting how they handle the character. there's a bunch of active torrents if you want to check it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture_646.png 
Views:	302 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	97891  

Professional Poster

A bad light. Look at the movie "Trans-America". They made the character look like a cross-dresser who wasn't passable. That makes society think that the transsexual life is.....getting clocked, obstacle after obstacle and very sad.