Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    mmm, I suspect we're violating the tenor of this thread.... but it does bring up an interesting point, which is the tendency sometimes for people to use the forum as a chat room, and banter back and forth. Should limits be imposed on this activity?
    Ultimately, you're going to have some sort of 'chat' activity. It's unavoidable. Just look at the typical party conversation. "Comment", "Yah", "Really", "Comment", etc. Human nature, as ugly as it can be, can't be helped.

Though, banter of a conversational motif can work rather well and breed further discourse. It gets ugly when nine out of ten posts are cut-n-paste quotes of the beginning of the thread followed by empty comments of "LOL", "GTFO", and "You bahstid!".
    LOL!

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Great thread, Thanos. I can’t overemphasize my support for the position that overmoderation kills a forum. One of the great things about HA, IMO, is that everyone gets treated by other posters in a manner commensurate with their own posting style. In short, you sink or swim entirely by your own merit. From what I’ve seen during my time here, this process has acted like a sort of Darwinistic sieve that “encourages” most of the jerks to move on -- while the more interesting and cooler posters remain (or return).

I think some of the previous suggestions are good. Particular examples include some of the following:

1) A better filter for spammers. To that end, I think the idea that newbs should have a certain number of posts before being allowed to start their own threads has merit.

2) Fight Club!!!!! As one of the forum’s more peaceable members, I doubt that I would ever find a use for such a combative medium, but it remains a great idea nonetheless. Making it a voice chat room is an even better idea.

3) Controlling the size of avatars is a must; it’s getting fucking ridiculous already.

4) No more pissed off goodbye threads. If you’ve been piled on to the point where your feelings are hurt and you want to leave, you almost certainly did something to merit that treatment. Take some responsibility for yourself already. Conversely, I’ve appreciated some of the positive goodbye threads posted here recently.

I don’t think this one has been addressed by anyone yet, so here goes:

I realize there are many gay and bisexual members on this forum, so my perspective certainly doesn’t speak for everyone, but how about no guys posting pics of their junk unless a woman specifically asks them to. Look, I realize many of the women here put themselves out there for us on a regular basis, and I think it would be positively rude not to show some reciprocity. Still, unsolicited pics of guy cock and ass are, to my way of thinking, in poor taste. In short, go to gay.com or White_Male_Canada.com if you want to act like that.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

I realize there are many gay and bisexual members on this forum, so my perspective certainly doesn’t speak for everyone, but how about no guys posting pics of their junk unless a woman specifically asks them to.
    Personally, I don't mind either way (Unless it's one sorry, ugly-ass dick or butt), but such things do have their place and, say what you will, there aren't many guys on here that are 'gay'. I only posted my fugly ass on here once (Yes, dear readers, that really =was= MY ass, long, long ago), but it was in the appropriate thread and at the request, more or less, of the OP.

Seriously guys, dick shots are cool, in their place. If you want to show your stuff, do it in the personals.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    4) No more pissed off goodbye threads. If you’ve been piled on to the point where your feelings are hurt and you want to leave, you almost certainly did something to merit that treatment. Take some responsibility for yourself already. Conversely, I’ve appreciated some of the positive goodbye threads posted here recently.
    While I am a prolific poster, I would say that being ranked a "Certified Tranny Expert" alongside people who have been here much longer and contributed more to this board simply because I am prolific is an error that should be corrected.

That said, I second Quinn on the above, as that's exactly how I see it, except for that last sentence. I admit I don't bother with "I'm Leaving" threads really, but the ones I've seen in the last few weeks, whether you deem them "positive" or not, have been made by people who've hurled alot of abuse at others, at times warranted and at others, not. So, I have problems seeing these goodbye threads as positive, when the fact is that the people posting them simply don't have the stomach to receive as good as they give. Bottom line, I've dish it out, received it back in kind, and I'm still here, like it or not. If I cry about how so-and-so called me a name, who would give a shit? People have seen my posts and know that I've done my fair share of name-calling too. Turnabout is fair play, IMHO.

I also think that if it's not against the rules to call a fool a fool, and no one wants to make doing so against the rules, then when someone responds in kind to a person who derides their expression of an opinion by calling them a "dickless pussy" and so forth, the person responding in kind should not be beset by other members asking them to control themselves. You may have been here since HA began, but if your boy from way back then is an asshole, don't get on me for calling him one. Tell him to check himself before you say word one to me. There's too much of that shit going on here, and it's fucking ridiculous. And you know what I'm talking about too.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by TJ347
    While I am a prolific poster, I would say that being ranked a "Certified Tranny Expert" alongside people who have been here much longer and contributed more to this board simply because I am prolific is an error that should be corrected.

That said, I second Quinn on the above, as that's exactly how I see it, except for that last sentence. I admit I don't bother with "I'm Leaving" threads really, but the ones I've seen in the last few weeks, whether you deem them "positive" or not, have been made by people who've hurled alot of abuse at others, at times warranted and at others, not. So, I have problems seeing these goodbye threads as positive, when the fact is that the people posting them simply don't have the stomach to receive as good as they give. Bottom line, I've dish it out, received it back in kind, and I'm still here, like it or not. If I cry about how so-and-so called me a name, who would give a shit? People have seen my posts and know that I've done my fair share of name-calling too. Turnabout is fair play, IMHO.
    TJ, I'm familiar with the thread(s) you are referring to and agree with your assessment. The threads I was referring to – I probably should have been more specific – were posted by Scorpion and another poster whose ID I can't recall off of the top of my head right now. In those two cases, there was nothing but positivity, which was, in turn, responded to with overwhelming positivity. Scorpion, in particular, exited with what I would consider class.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

I just checked in and saw Jenn/tsntx logged in. Quit hiding out in the pool, babe. You know no-one ever really leaves Hotel HA.

Oh, and . . . THREADJACK!

5 Star Poster

TJ347: I'd say it depends on the names you're being called and the circumstances. Some insults are pretty harmless, some others are not. The girls have often suffered from pretty heavy abuse that was uncalled for. In another case, one girl (who was banned repeatedly) actually dished it out first but couldn't take it.

Personally, I've only resorted to name calling when insulted by a poster or (rarely) in defense of another long-serving poster or of a poster I consider a friend (there are very few such members and most of them I have communicated with by PM as well) against a member (often a rookie) looking to cause trouble. In short, I don't care if someone disagrees with me on the issues, but I won't take someone who just hurls abuse for the sake of it. Then I can and will get medieval on his ass, and some people have felt the sting. I will not complain, but I'm not afraid to belittle him with every witty barb I can think of and with a few not-so-witty ones.

In the politics forum, it's a little different. Abuse is almost the name of the game, but I prefer to keep it light. I appreciate people who have a sense of humour and are able to make a witty- albeit often snide- remark. I do not appreciate people who just post silly jpegs that insult other posters (in one case in a way I deemed to be very much below the belt) and call people losers or (in the Politics forum) Stalinists or libtards without even making an argument. I have caught myself arguing with such people, but at the end I put them on ignore for a week or so until things calm down.

I don't like starting fights, really. I'm pretty much a pacifist as well as a liberal, and I think we waste too much time arguing when we could actually be debating and finding areas we all agree on.

This is part of who I am, so if people don't like it, it's not my problem. I've been here a while and think I've earned the respect of many members. I also count a few members as friends, in a strange way because I'm most likely never to meet them and the relationship I have with them is very much a 'don't ask- don't tell' kind of thing.

I like it here. Sure, there's room for improvement in my opinion, but things are cool and I have a good time every time I log on (I laugh, I cry, sometimes I hurl ). Most people here are pretty cool and we're all united by something.

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

I just wanted to add that the spam blocker ideas are excellent, and I'm sure everyone would welcome them being implemented.

Quinn you were absolutely right about Scorpion's goodbye thread.

LG, I've seen you come to the defense of people who deserve to have people come to their aid, so I've got no problem there. It's the times they don't deserve it I'm talking about.

When, say, I express an opinion, and the response from another poster is "You're a cretin and a dickless pussy". Don't go telling me to control myself, or to stop ruining your thread. Talk to your boy, who has a problem communicating rationally whenever people express a difference of opinion, because had he not responded like an asshole to a simple expression of an opinion, then I wouldn't have responded to his response in the manner I did.

I'm not talking about what names were called or how hurtful they are, I'm talking about people who will jump on someone who's calling your "friend" out, ignoring the fact that your asshole friend started the whole damned thing. And again, I know that you know exactly what I'm talking about.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Great thread, Thanos. I can’t overemphasize my support for the position that overmoderation kills a forum. One of the great things about HA, IMO, is that everyone gets treated by other posters in a manner commensurate with their own posting style. In short, you sink or swim entirely by your own merit. From what I’ve seen during my time here, this process has acted like a sort of Darwinistic sieve that “encourages” most of the jerks to move on -- while the more interesting and cooler posters remain (or return).
    Quinn, I agree with each of your points. My only qualifier would be that some greater discretion be taken with the Darwinian filtering of posters who happen to be transwomen who come under the gun here. Sometimes it's deserved, and sometimes not (or as usual, somewhere inbetween these poles), but it does seem to get out-of-hand at times and that I could do without. Firstly, I think many transwomen have left HA permanently because they feel excessively put upon here, and secondly even some who have toughed it out have suffered as a result. Hell, I think even Teflon Kelly (which I say with affection, and she knows it) would've posted at least 1000 fewer posts had she not be battling back against the backlash. (Again, I'm not making an assessment of right or wrong or justification, just a preference that, after a point is made--ad nauseum--it's time to K.I.M. and let it go.)

Ecstatic,

I understand and respect your opinion on this matter. We’ve both been here for a long time and have seen many TS women come and go. During that time, there have certainly been occasions when TS women have taken abuse that was unwarranted (an incident with Felicia K comes to mind). Then again, the same can be said for any long-time or frequent poster on HA (male or female). Still, IMO, this represents far more of an exception than a rule.

I guess it all comes down to what type of standard we want to apply to interactions involving TS women. To my way of thinking – which could certainly be flawed – they shouldn’t be treated differently than any other poster (male or GG). I believe that in all but the most extreme circumstances, the girls should be allowed to govern their own interactions without moderation. Why? Think about it. Some TS posters rarely have problems, while others are the continuous “victims” of one poster or another. Why the disparity in their respective experiences?

-Quinn