Veteran Poster

Default Can anybody give me a "Reason" why people do this?

Hey people

i was just going over my headlines on Yahoo when I came across this article from Planet out......

Woman gets 5 years for silicone death

Fri Feb 4, 8:09 PM ET Community - Planet Out

Christopher Curtis, PlanetOut Network

SUMMARY: A court sentenced a transgender woman to five years in prison after she plead guilty for the death of a woman who suffered complications after a "pumping party."

A court sentenced a Georgia transgender woman to five years in prison on Monday after she plead guilty to manslaughter charges in the death of a woman who suffered complications after a "pumping party."

"Pumping parties" are underground events in which women -- many of them transgender -- pump industrial-grade silicone into each other to create more-feminine features. Unlike medical-grade silicone, industrial-grade silicone is not sterile, and it can leak and cause infections when injected.

Police believe Myasha Thomas injected the 23-year-old victim's face and chest with industrial-grade silicone on Dec. 10, 2003, in Albany, Ga. After the injection, the woman -- who was also transgender and whom police identify only by her birth name, Andre Jeter -- fell into a coma.

A month later Jeter died from multi-organ and respiratory failure.

Police arrested Thomas in March of 2004 along with accomplices. The Dougherty County Court listed her legal name as Stephen Thomas.

On the Thursday following Thomas' guilty plea, WALB-TV reported she had been sentenced to five years in prison and 10 years probation for felony involuntary manslaughter.

Three women await trial on conspiracy charges. Chief Assistant District Attorney Greg Edwards told the Associated Press (AP) the three gave rides to the pumping parties and helped Thomas perform the injections. Thomas would return the favor by giving her accomplices free injections instead of charging her regular fee of $300 to $400.

Edwards told the AP on Friday that the plea was appropriate because there was no intent to kill.

Gwen Smith, a board member of Gender Education and Advocacy Inc., shared mixed emotions with the PlanetOut Network. "On one hand it's nice that the issue of silicone injection is being treated very severely. On the other hand I wonder if the sentence had to do with silicone injection or the gender expression of the person involved."

Mara Keisling, executive director for the National Center for Transgender Equality, did not believe Thomas' sentence would address the real problem facing transgender people.

"The whole silicone-pumping public-health problem is going to continue as long as transgender people face the kind of discrimination we face, the kind of poverty we face and the lack of health care we face. It's very, very dangerous, but it's obvious why it happens."

When the PlanetOut Network first reported the story last year, Dallas Denny, board member of Gender Education & Advocacy Inc., warned that silicone injections are not just a problem among transgender people.

"It happens a lot in Asian communities," she said. "It's becoming common with HIV (news - web sites)-positive gay men who are trying to reduce the appearance of sunken cheeks or a sunken chest. It's common in the drag community, and sex workers who are trying to improve their marketability."

Denny said that once the injection was performed, the silicone could migrate. "If someone gets it in their chest, it can move to their ankles." she explained.

"Removal is difficult," she said. "In terms of getting silicone out, several plastic surgeons have told me it's nearly impossible. Once you get it done, it permeates the tissue. You're pretty much stuck with it."

Are these people "stupid" or what? I would just "love" to here someone's take on this that has actually done this.

Harmless_pervert

Sorry if i offended ye, no wait I am not sorry, being offended is your problem not mine.

Junior Poster

Believe it or not some silicone injections are again legal in Fla. Also you have to remember the stuff this person used you can by at an auto parts store. Many of my TS friends have gotten silicone wortk over the years. I have an ex-stripper post-op friend that got hers in 1970, hips and tits, and still looks great. There are a few underground silicone parties all over the world and some use medical grade and some not. The girls need to research. Also the amount the girl gets in each secesion is very important. I think the judgement should be up to the Girl.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by roy404
    Believe it or not some silicone injections are again legal in Fla. Also you have to remember the stuff this person used you can by at an auto parts store. Many of my TS friends have gotten silicone wortk over the years. I have an ex-stripper post-op friend that got hers in 1970, hips and tits, and still looks great. There are a few underground silicone parties all over the world and some use medical grade and some not. The girls need to research. Also the amount the girl gets in each secesion is very important. I think the judgement should be up to the Girl.
    I don't mind either TS or GG ladies getting silicone work done (as long as it is done by a person who knows what they are doing, I.E. a doctor or at least a nurse practioner). My problem is the article didn't state any qualifications the "Perp" had to do the injections, now I know that this could be due to an oversight by the Planet out crew but more than likely She had no qualifications to do the injections period.

I guess all in all some people are very desperate to "get the look" that they will do anything to gain it..........SCARY

Harmless_pervert

Sorry if i offended ye, no wait I am not sorry, being offended is your problem not mine.

Junior Poster

The silicone the real DR's use, at least the legitimate one's, is medical grade. The same type used for years overseas. Also there are a few people, not DR's, that travel the US and inject Medical grade. These people are known to the members of the community and there prices are much more.

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

This is nothing new.

People have been pumping silicone into their bodies since the 50's.

The ONLY reason silicone is illegal as an injectible is because
    its permanent, can not be removed, can harden, and can shift.

Silicone is still used in the US by many surgeons to for certain filllings.

But because these quacks take advantage of people
    and use industrail grade silcione and have no idea what they are doing
    well then this happens. It's sade but it's true.

http://www.beautifulbreasts.com/siliconeupdate.html

read all the new literature on the effects of silicone in the body

Veteran Poster

Thanks allanah and other poeple for replying

just a couple of questions here, forgive my ignorance (and my typing too much Scotch)

1. Don't they know the difference between medical and industrial grade silicone?

2. don't they realize that this person in charge of the needle going into their bodies isn't a Doctor or nurse?

3. Are they that "blind" to the concept of Beauty that they would sacrifice life itself to achieve it? or are tey just not thinking?

love you Allanah

Harmless_pervert