Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Attack of the Internet Tough Guys

What the hell is up with all the internet tough guys? They say their piece, you tactfully espouse a different point of view, and they respond with all manner of name calling, threats and general bullshit, as if they were still in the fifth grade. The saddest thing about all of this is that the internet warriors here seem to mostly be on the high side of thirty, way past the age at which they should know better. Of course, there are those who are younger, and seemingly have nothing better to do with their time than jump in a thread and insult whomever, just because they can. This is all well known, of course. The question is, what can be done about it?

While the natural response to being insulted is to counter with an insult of your own, doing so only brings you down to their level, which we all know, but nonetheless have difficulty remembering when it matters. If I insult you, and you in response insult me, it allows me to avoid recognizing how much I'm acting like a fool. However, if you ignore my idiocy and continue about your business, I have wasted my time, as my efforts have been for nothing. Soon, after repeated insults on my part go ignored, I must face the fact that I am not meeting with success, and move on to a more thin-skinned individual, or else, in a best case scenario, realize how foolish my behavior is and modify it appropriately.

I have fought any number of "internet battles" over the years, for reasons that defy logic. If I call you enough names, will that cause you to see things from my point of view? Bigger than all that, if my responses to what you have to say aren't positive, how is it even worth the time taken out of my life to type them?

A number of people have complained about incessant flaming, as well as obnoxious and blatantly insulting posts. I apologize for my role in that, as I am a better person than my involvement would indicate. That said, the only thing I am certain of is that any response to idiocy will cause it to propogate, so whatever you do, if an internet tough guy fires a shot your way, whatever you do, don't give any indication that they've hit you.

Again, sorry for such a wordy post.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Rookie Poster

Default Re: Attack of the Internet Tough Guys

Quote Originally Posted by TJ347
    What the hell is up with all the internet tough guys? They say their piece, you tactfully espouse a different point of view, and they respond with all manner of name calling, threats and general bullshit, as if they were still in the fifth grade. .

Well it's the nature of the net.. for some reasion people think they can just be an ass online, because it's not face to face.

sad

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

It'd be cool if you could just put some spaces between your paragraphs there, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat
    It'd be cool if you could just put some spaces between your paragraphs there, my man.
    Again, because you've asked me to, I will. And I'll remember that in the future, though I'm still perplexed as to how it helps any...

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

What the hell is up with all the internet tough guys? They say their piece, you tactfully espouse a different point of view, and they respond with all manner of name calling, threats and general bullshit, as if they were still in the fifth grade.

The saddest thing about all of this is that the internet warriors here seem to mostly be on the high side of thirty, way past the age at which they should know better. Of course, there are those who are younger, and seemingly have nothing better to do with their time than jump in a thread and insult whomever, just because they can. This is all well known, of course. The question is, what can be done about it?

While the natural response to being insulted is to counter with an insult of your own, doing so only brings you down to their level, which we all know, but nonetheless have difficulty remembering when it matters. If I insult you, and you in response insult me, it allows me to avoid recognizing how much I'm acting like a fool. However, if you ignore my idiocy and continue about your business, I have wasted my time, as my efforts have been for nothing. Soon, after repeated insults on my part go ignored, I must face the fact that I am not meeting with success, and move on to a more thin-skinned individual, or else, in a best case scenario, realize how foolish my behavior is and modify it appropriately.

I have fought any number of "internet battles" over the years, for reasons that defy logic. If I call you enough names, will that cause you to see things from my point of view? Bigger than all that, if my responses to what you have to say aren't positive, how is it even worth the time taken out of my life to type them?

A number of people have complained about incessant flaming, as well as obnoxious and blatantly insulting posts. I apologize for my role in that, as I am a better person than my involvement would indicate. That said, the only thing I am certain of is that any response to idiocy will cause it to propogate, so whatever you do, if an internet tough guy fires a shot your way, whatever you do, don't give any indication that they've hit you. Again, sorry for such a wordy post.
    It breaks up thoughts. Allows the human mind a chance to switch gears with you.

The only writer I ever read that was able to pull off no paragraphs was Jose Saramago.

btw, I wouldn't even bother saying anything if I didn't want to read what you wrote.

Your input is always appreciated. And thanks for the explanation.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

I used to be on this chat program with voice enabled and I was in a chatroom on there for a long time, a bunch of us had gotten comfortable with each other and told TMI, I mentioned something about a relative who was ill and this coward wished death on them. He was also one of those people who always needed attention focused on him, in real life it turns out he was a pussy, some dude who did jailtime and took it up the ass for Marlboro cartons (true story) and was acting tough online because he couldn't do anything offline that might jeaopardize his parole.

My point? Let the internet thugs/toughguys do all that bullshit, it makes no difference. At the end of the day folks like us like what we see in the mirror..........

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY.
    ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SHINING?

the majority rules, and the majority are passive bitches.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

ummmmmmmmmmmm, wow ok

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Indeed... Don't quite know what all that means, but I suppose it means something to someone.