Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TJ347
    You know, I went back and read that thread, and for the life of me, I can't see where you and I argued at all. Everything I said to you was entirely respectful, though maybe if someone else read what I said, they would take it another way. I don't see how, but I guess it's possible. Anyway, I've been really trying hard to avoid arguments these last few days, but I must admit it can be very hard at times. Old habits and all...
    I didn't mean to imply that you were disrespectful, you were'nt. I guess I should have said "debate" more than arguement.

"I never knew about winning from beginning to end, but only about not being behind in a situation."
    -Uesugi Kenshin

Rookie Poster

Default Re: Attack of the Internet Tough Guys

What the hell is up with all the internet tough guys? They say their piece, you tactfully espouse a different point of view, and they respond with all manner of name calling, threats and general bullshit, as if they were still in the fifth grade. The saddest thing about all of this is that the internet warriors here seem to mostly be on the high side of thirty, way past the age at which they should know better. Of course, there are those who are younger, and seemingly have nothing better to do with their time than jump in a thread and insult whomever, just because they can. This is all well known, of course. The question is, what can be done about it?

While the natural response to being insulted is to counter with an insult of your own, doing so only brings you down to their level, which we all know, but nonetheless have difficulty remembering when it matters. If I insult you, and you in response insult me, it allows me to avoid recognizing how much I'm acting like a fool. However, if you ignore my idiocy and continue about your business, I have wasted my time, as my efforts have been for nothing. Soon, after repeated insults on my part go ignored, I must face the fact that I am not meeting with success, and move on to a more thin-skinned individual, or else, in a best case scenario, realize how foolish my behavior is and modify it appropriately.

I have fought any number of "internet battles" over the years, for reasons that defy logic. If I call you enough names, will that cause you to see things from my point of view? Bigger than all that, if my responses to what you have to say aren't positive, how is it even worth the time taken out of my life to type them?

A number of people have complained about incessant flaming, as well as obnoxious and blatantly insulting posts. I apologize for my role in that, as I am a better person than my involvement would indicate. That said, the only thing I am certain of is that any response to idiocy will cause it to propogate, so whatever you do, if an internet tough guy fires a shot your way, whatever you do, don't give any indication that they've hit you.

Again, sorry for such a wordy post.
    As long as they dont hurt my Internet feelings then I wont cry!

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Internet thuggery is cowardly, reprehensible, and juvenile.

It can do harm to the individuals involved and ultimately to
    the forum on which it occurs.

Veteran Poster

What the hell is up with all the internet tough guys? They say their piece, you tactfully espouse a different point of view, and they respond with all manner of name calling, threats and general bullshit, as if they were still in the fifth grade. The saddest thing about all of this is that the internet warriors here seem to mostly be on the high side of thirty, way past the age at which they should know better. Of course, there are those who are younger, and seemingly have nothing better to do with their time than jump in a thread and insult whomever, just because they can. This is all well known, of course. The question is, what can be done about it?

While the natural response to being insulted is to counter with an insult of your own, doing so only brings you down to their level, which we all know, but nonetheless have difficulty remembering when it matters. If I insult you, and you in response insult me, it allows me to avoid recognizing how much I'm acting like a fool. However, if you ignore my idiocy and continue about your business, I have wasted my time, as my efforts have been for nothing. Soon, after repeated insults on my part go ignored, I must face the fact that I am not meeting with success, and move on to a more thin-skinned individual, or else, in a best case scenario, realize how foolish my behavior is and modify it appropriately.

I have fought any number of "internet battles" over the years, for reasons that defy logic. If I call you enough names, will that cause you to see things from my point of view? Bigger than all that, if my responses to what you have to say aren't positive, how is it even worth the time taken out of my life to type them?

A number of people have complained about incessant flaming, as well as obnoxious and blatantly insulting posts. I apologize for my role in that, as I am a better person than my involvement would indicate. That said, the only thing I am certain of is that any response to idiocy will cause it to propogate, so whatever you do, if an internet tough guy fires a shot your way, whatever you do, don't give any indication that they've hit you.

Again, sorry for such a wordy post.
    are you aware that there people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6′4″ 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know."

Platinum Poster

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Xiorc
    As long as they dont hurt my Internet feelings then I wont cry!
    "Internet feelings"... there's a new one. Guess a tough "Internet skin" is what's needed.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Platinum Poster

Attack of the Passive-aggressive Internet Crybabies!!

http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20723
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dork_cookie_804.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	101707  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Quote Originally Posted by peggygee
    Internet thuggery is cowardly, reprehensible, and juvenile.
    Summing things up quite accurately, and doing so with far less words than I used, I might add...

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin