Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by CockStroker
    Quote Originally Posted by LOCpunks
    Quote Originally Posted by CockStroker
    Well, in Germany you have to call emergency. They usually arrive after 10 minutes. If you don't call it (and don't perform first aid or get someone who can perform it for you) and someone is seriously injured (and dies in the end) you can be charged and go to jail for not helping.
    I'd be curious as to the actual letter of the law. Good samaritan laws exist elsewhere as well...but they are hardly ever enforced. I think the very idea of a good samaritan law is a complete infringement on civil rights.
    This is the law:

§ 323c
    Unterlassene Hilfeleistung
    Wer bei Unglücksfällen oder gemeiner Gefahr oder Not nicht Hilfe leistet, obwohl dies erforderlich und ihm den Umständen nach zuzumuten, insbesondere ohne erhebliche eigene Gefahr und ohne Verletzung anderer wichtiger Pflichten möglich ist, wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu einem Jahr oder mit Geldstrafe bestraft.
    It says: If you don't help and helping is no danger to yourself, you can go to jail for a maximum of one year or pay a fine.
    Yes, we had a similar law pass in Massachusetts (U.S.) in recent years, but to my knowledge it has never been enforced. I cannot imagine a judge in their right mind interpreting the statute so stringently that they would imprison someone (not just throw them in jail for a short time...prison...for a year or more...) for that.

sometimes it feels like shame...less than two shades away from kindness.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vlex
    well if you where a homeless man period, Why are you on the streets being a bum in the first place, I mean its fair to say you dont have the will or want to live a better life
    Wow. Just...wow. Now that is just fucked up. That couldn't be further from the truth.
    how is that far from the truth?

and with all do respect please tell us all how the street life is
    Stop trying to be condescending. If you really think that homeless people have no will to live, then you have a serious absence in logic. Obviously, you have never encountered a panhandler. Or, rather, walked through a bad neighborhood at all. You don't have to be "from the streets" to see what homeless people go through.

sometimes it feels like shame...less than two shades away from kindness.

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Yes, we had a similar law pass in Massachusetts (U.S.) in recent years, but to my knowledge it has never been enforced. I cannot imagine a judge in their right mind interpreting the statute so stringently that they would imprison someone (not just throw them in jail for a short time...prison...for a year or more...) for that.
    Ahh, yeah, Massachusetts. Boston was where I was born and raised. Did a lot of work with the homeless back there (80's). I actually befriended a few guys and "became" homeless for a few days there...and then, when i moved here (nyc), again for a few days to see what it was like.

Of course, a few days and knowing you have a place to go home to doesn't give you the full idea of the desperation and other issues affecting the homeless, but it does give you some compassion and understanding.

Now I'm remembering how I used to bring people home (my ex was oh so patient), give them a hot shower, a meal, some books, blankets, and herbal remedies. Funny story...a few years go by, I had stopped doing that (got jaded) and I'm walking down the street one day and this guy sitting in a doorway jumps up and says, "It's you!" and starts saying how much my kindness had helped him and how the herbs and tea I had given him had cured his illness. He was so thankful. And I was so moved and humbled that something as simple as giving someone some herbs to get better had had such an impact.

yeah, I'm a sucker.

Junior Poster

Default Re: No one mourns the homeless

Quote Originally Posted by General Disarray
    But the question is:
    What would you have done if you had seen a homeless man dying?
    Maybe even right outside of club vapor while you were walking in?
    "No human chords are struck without a resonance in another human's life ..."

I would've been devastated ...

Don't yuck somebody else's yum

well if you where a homeless man period, Why are you on the streets being a bum in the first place, I mean its fair to say you dont have the will or want to live a better life
    Wow. Just...wow. Now that is just fucked up. That couldn't be further from the truth.
    how is that far from the truth?

and with all do respect please tell us all how the street life is
    Stop trying to be condescending. If you really think that homeless people have no will to live, then you have a serious absence in logic. Obviously, you have never encountered a panhandler. Or, rather, walked through a bad neighborhood at all. You don't have to be "from the streets" to see what homeless people go through.
    you stupid emo fag i never said they didnt want to live,
    absence in logic
    yeah you could use alittle logic for not reading exactly what i wrote
    Hey I thought you had to be 18 or over to register?

Veteran Poster

Default Re: No one mourns the homeless

[quote="General Disarray"]I spent a week in Russia last year. The last night I was there I saw an old homeless man bleeding to death on the sidewalk. People were literally stepping over him and ignoring his cries for help. I send my friend to call for help while I sit with him and try to calm him down.
    quote]

did you at least apply basic first aid?
    or maybe he came across dr. jack after he was parolled, and he did him a free favor?

Junior Poster

Why was he bleeding to death? What happened to him? Why were you in Russia? I was in Spain for 6 months, I know what it is like to have orphans begging for money at the train station in Madrid. I gave them some coins.