Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default No one mourns the homeless

I spent a week in Russia last year. The last night I was there I saw an old homeless man bleeding to death on the sidewalk. People were literally stepping over him and ignoring his cries for help. I send my friend to call for help while I sit with him and try to calm him down.

I ended up waiting with him for three hours until he finally died in my arms. No help came either. My friend came back saying they refused to come simply for him, as they were too busy (this was a pretty bad slum mind you).

The thing that caught my attention was how nobody seemed phased at all. The whole week I was there I had been warned death was a pretty common occurence where I was. But I really wasn't prepared for that.
    Later that night I was in an airport and some orphans begged me to adopt them.

In summation:
    it was a very bad trip

But the question is:
    What would you have done if you had seen a homeless man dying?
    Maybe even right outside of club vapor while you were walking in?

it's a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with an axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!

Rookie Poster

I, myself, would have held that man just like you did. Hoping that this person might just find some sort of comfort in knowing that someone at least felt enough compassion to not allow them to die alone.

Junior Poster

Try living there. You wouldn't be phased by it at all either. Matter of fact, try living in any real ghetto, and you cease to think about that shit at all. Stop to sit in the streets with the homeless past dusk and you're asking to be lying in the street next to him. Maybe it's fucked up to hear, but I wouldn't have done a damn thing more than call for help. Then again, I've seen some horrible things in the streets...on top of being pistol whipped and robbed at gunpoint. Live it, then you will understand.

sometimes it feels like shame...less than two shades away from kindness.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vlex
    well if you where a homeless man period, Why are you on the streets being a bum in the first place, I mean its fair to say you dont have the will or want to live a better life
    Wow. Just...wow. Now that is just fucked up. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

You don't have to go to the streets of Russia.

Go to any large city in the world and take a look around after dark.
    You'll see exactly the same thing.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vlex
    Here in the US i can most willingly say anyone and everyone with a kind heart would help someone dying or injured.
    Yah, right.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Rookie Poster

Well, in Germany you have to call emergency. They usually arrive after 10 minutes. If you don't call it (and don't perform first aid or get someone who can perform it for you) and someone is seriously injured (and dies in the end) you can be charged and go to jail for not helping.

where i live its tough... in the winter it gets so cold, and some kids have to wear the same coats they were wearing last year.. its sickening. as i drive by in my 5 series BMW listning to NWA i feel for them. some of them are drinking straight from the can, and like, they cant be more than 16!

hard knocks man, hard knocks.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by CockStroker
    Well, in Germany you have to call emergency. They usually arrive after 10 minutes. If you don't call it (and don't perform first aid or get someone who can perform it for you) and someone is seriously injured (and dies in the end) you can be charged and go to jail for not helping.
    I'd be curious as to the actual letter of the law. Good samaritan laws exist elsewhere as well...but they are hardly ever enforced. I think the very idea of a good samaritan law is a complete infringement on civil rights.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by LOCpunks
    Quote Originally Posted by CockStroker
    I'd be curious as to the actual letter of the law. Good samaritan laws exist elsewhere as well...but they are hardly ever enforced. I think the very idea of a good samaritan law is a complete infringement on civil rights.
    This is the law:

§ 323c
    Unterlassene Hilfeleistung
    Wer bei Unglücksfällen oder gemeiner Gefahr oder Not nicht Hilfe leistet, obwohl dies erforderlich und ihm den Umständen nach zuzumuten, insbesondere ohne erhebliche eigene Gefahr und ohne Verletzung anderer wichtiger Pflichten möglich ist, wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu einem Jahr oder mit Geldstrafe bestraft.
    It says: If you don't help and helping is no danger to yourself, you can go to jail for a maximum of one year or pay a fine.