View Poll Results: Did Kevorkian deserve to be imprisoned?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, what he did was wrong.

6 15.38%
  • No, he was trying to ease human suffering.

31 79.49%
  • I'm conflicted on the issue.

1 2.56%
  • I can't jerk off to this thread so I'm outta here.

1 2.56%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

He is suffering from hepatitis c, not cancer.

http://49226433.gabbly.com/gabbly/cw.jsp?e=1&t=http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewforum.php?f=1'

I'm usually in there(Tawnie)~ come say Hi.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaShevenal
    He is suffering from hepatitis c, not cancer.
    I'm not sure what your point is, HC is a liver disease and not technically cancer as far as I know, but they can both kill you, and the issue being discussed is about how dying people choose to die.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

If there ever comes a time when all hope is gone, i hope there's someone like him around for me.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Platinum Poster

Well, 24 votes is about average for an HA poll if it doesn't concern sexual matters or personal attacks...but our sampling on HA is consistent with national polling, the majority favor physician-assisted suicide.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

i hope he continues his practice..... when people are on hospice, they never do an autopsy to see if someone (or themselves) gave them too much pain killers to end their suffering... its a "no questions asked" thing.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne1
    i hope he continues his practice..... when people are on hospice, they never do an autopsy to see if someone (or themselves) gave them too much pain killers to end their suffering... its a "no questions asked" thing.
    Another question we can ask is: Would you be willing to do this for (or against, depending where one stands) a loved one if they asked you to?

It's a tough call to make.

http://www.hungangels.com/board/view...=264962#264962

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Rookie Poster

Watched my father die from Parkinson's disease. Watched my mother die from Alzheimers. Watched my wife die from septic due to a perforated bowel.
    I'm pretty certain that none of them would have wanted to go the way they did. My wife and are were both nurses with extensive ICU experience, so we talked about this stuff probably more than the average couple, but even with that, having to authorize the discontinuing of life support when everything medically possible had been tried and had failed- lets just say i NEVER want to have to make a decision like that ever again.

I guess you never really know until the time comes, but I think most people would want an alternative to a slow fade out, hanging on in agony with a total loss of dignity. Chef mentioned HST - I miss his writing and his antics. I was a fan for many years and I doubt that those who really knew him were surprised at his final choice. I'll always remember those memorable lines from 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' -

"There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs," he wrote. "We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark -- the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

The finest words he ever wrote, imo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lhtseattle_443.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	100573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hstflag_136.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	100574  

My observation: People who say they support the right to life generally mean their right to dictate how you live your life. Its the same zealotry that causes them to value a petri dish of discarded embryos more than a Parkinson's patient. Life is Sacred, witih a capitol S, meaning its a religious decision, rather than a rational one. They view life and death as God's providence. So no contraception to prevent unwanted lives, and no euthanasia to hasten wanted deaths. In a democracy, where life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness are its explicit purposes, questions like this should be about the individual's will, not God's. No one's liberty or happiness is advanced by being forced to live in prolonged hopeless agony. Assisted Suicide should be a right, and as soon we can get the religious right's grappling hooks off the wall between church and State, it will be. Hopefully before any of us have to watch a loved one suffer needlessly or worse, having our loved ones watch us do so.

FK

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    My observation: People who say they support the right to life generally mean their right to dictate how you live your life. Its the same zealotry that causes them to value a petri dish of discarded embryos more than a Parkinson's patient. Life is Sacred, witih a capitol S, meaning its a religious decision, rather than a rational one. They view life and death as God's providence. So no contraception to prevent unwanted lives, and no euthanasia to hasten wanted deaths. In a democracy, where life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness are its explicit purposes, questions like this should be about the individual's will, not God's. No one's liberty or happiness is advanced by being forced to live in prolonged hopeless agony. Assisted Suicide should be a right, and as soon we can get the religious right's grappling hooks off the wall between church and State, it will be. Hopefully before any of us have to watch a loved one suffer needlessly or worse, having our loved ones watch us do so.

FK

I agree, although I think I'd rather suffer myself than see the ones I love die slowly and painfully. But then again I'm supposed to be a "liberal kook", according to one member here.

As for whether I'd have the courage to end a loved one's life myself, that's another matter.
    http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20527

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.