Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: THUG 4 LYFE

A true thug with his Jesus cross around his neck...lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1179091407862_109.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	98429  

Veteran Poster

Thug is too loose of a term today to give it one specific definition. I can go outside with a due rag, timbs, and wifebeater on and get called a thug. A lot of people base it off of appearance, like others base it on the way you act, while others base it on if you always have to respond to everything loud and defensively like your always forced to prove your masculinity, or like others base it off of being quick to fight. When people use it in a good way its like saying a little rough around the edges, or like saying a man living on the wild side that lives a little dangerously. It all depends on how you use it. Not necessarily bad nowadays.

Reality is perception.

Professional Poster

I live the Hug life. Anyone want one?

Quote Originally Posted by werwt22
    Thug is too loose of a term today to give it one specific definition. I can go outside with a due rag, timbs, and wifebeater on and get called a thug. A lot of people base it off of appearance, like others base it on the way you act, while others base it on if you always have to respond to everything loud and defensively like your always forced to prove your masculinity, or like others base it off of being quick to fight. When people use it in a good way its like saying a little rough around the edges, or like saying a man living on the wild side that lives a little dangerously. It all depends on how you use it. Not necessarily bad nowadays.
    While I understand what you're saying to a degree, I just don't see where the word "thug" can be used "in a good way", just like I don't see how the "N-word" (I'm trying to be a bit more politically correct these days) can be used in a positive manner. This is something that there is, of course, no concensus on, but I do recall seeing some half-assed survey somewhere online that showed college aged black people, who were actually in college, found the "N-word" to be unacceptable for use, even among black people. Although I wouldn't call the results of this survey definitive proof, I do believe the results would hold true if expanded to a wider number of individuals, and that these same individuals would also not look kindly upon being called a "thug", as the connotations of the word are similarly offensive.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ottorocket
    I live the Hug life. Anyone want one?
    I like your outlook on life

it's a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with an axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

I can go outside with a due rag, timbs, and wifebeater on and get called a thug.
    I assume these are fashion items?

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho
    I can go outside with a due rag, timbs, and wifebeater on and get called a thug.
    pretty much

it's a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with an axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!

Quote Originally Posted by General Disarray
    pretty much
    And would one care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by General Disarray
    pretty much
    And would one care to elaborate?
    I think it says more than enough that some people call a tank top a "wifebeater". I suppose that's for the purpose of making it sound more masculine than "tank top". Wife beating, I take it, is thus a manly thing to do, and in this way an article of clothing subliminally reinforces yet another negative.

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by TJ347
    I think it says more than enough that some people call a tank top a "wifebeater". I suppose that's for the purpose of making it sound more masculine than "tank top". Wife beating, I take it, is thus a manly thing to do, and in this way an article of clothing subliminally reinforces yet another negative.
    Wifebeater = Tank Top
    That's had me stumped for weeks!