Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    5 Star Poster

Did you guys hear something?

Rookie Poster

Default What about other STDs, like herpes?

I always use condoms when I with someone, so that takes care of HIV. My question is how do you all deal with the risk of catching herpes which is much easier to catch and a lifetime sentence. I'm married and this is not something I want to explain.

5 Star Poster

I think your condom approach would work both ways right?

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

Some Herpes Precautions....

Laboratory studies have shown that the herpes virus does not pass through latex condoms. When properly used, such condoms are likely to reduce your risk of spreading or getting herpes.
    But even the best condoms don't guarantee safety. Sometimes herpes sores occur in places not covered by a condom. In these cases, the condom is of little help, if any. In fact, condoms and foams should not be relied upon when herpes sores or symptoms are present.

Some contraceptive foams contain ingredients (such as nonoxynol-9) that kill the herpes virus and other STDs in test tubes. They are best used along with condoms, not in place of condoms.

What else can I do after diagnosis?

Many people feel panicked or depressed when they have herpes. Partly as a result of these feelings, the first few outbreaks can cause a great deal of stress. It may be important, therefore, to take additional steps.

First, get the information you need so you aren't worrying unnecessarily. Understanding herpes gives you a positive way to deal with your concerns. Second, seek emotional support when you need it. Keeping your feelings to yourself may do more harm than good.

What precautions can I take?

Certain basic principles about reducing risk apply equally to herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs):

You can eliminate your risk of getting herpes by not having sex with anyone (abstinence) or by having sex with a non-infected partner who has sex only with you (mutual monogamy).

If you are not sure that you and your partner are free from infection, use protection during sex. Latex condoms ( rubbers), used properly from start to finish for each sexual encounter, can be useful protection.

Spermicidal foams and jellies may offer additional protection.

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AllanahStarrNYC
    Some Herpes Precautions....

Laboratory studies have shown that the herpes virus does not pass through latex condoms. When properly used, such condoms are likely to reduce your risk of spreading or getting herpes.
    But even the best condoms don't guarantee safety. Sometimes herpes sores occur in places not covered by a condom. In these cases, the condom is of little help, if any. In fact, condoms and foams should not be relied upon when herpes sores or symptoms are present.

Some contraceptive foams contain ingredients (such as nonoxynol-9) that kill the herpes virus and other STDs in test tubes. They are best used along with condoms, not in place of condoms.

What else can I do after diagnosis?

Many people feel panicked or depressed when they have herpes. Partly as a result of these feelings, the first few outbreaks can cause a great deal of stress. It may be important, therefore, to take additional steps.

First, get the information you need so you aren't worrying unnecessarily. Understanding herpes gives you a positive way to deal with your concerns. Second, seek emotional support when you need it. Keeping your feelings to yourself may do more harm than good.

What precautions can I take?

Certain basic principles about reducing risk apply equally to herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs):

You can eliminate your risk of getting herpes by not having sex with anyone (abstinence) or by having sex with a non-infected partner who has sex only with you (mutual monogamy).

If you are not sure that you and your partner are free from infection, use protection during sex. Latex condoms ( rubbers), used properly from start to finish for each sexual encounter, can be useful protection.

Spermicidal foams and jellies may offer additional protection.

Hey cool, stuff about herpes! Nice! lol... I have herpes... haha...

http://www.gotherpes.com/aboutherpes.sht

This site has some pretty good info about it as well....... I had not heard about foams tho... imma have 2 check in on that........