Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Secret

Quote Originally Posted by TomSelis
    Well, it's like this: I believe in the law of attraction, karma and other similar beliefs. At the same time though, I believe you have to MAKE things happen and not just think about them. Just thinking about them can lead to disappointment and put you back in the same rut.

It's a new spin on a very old way of thinking. I'm glad you found that train of thought though.

This could turn into an interesting discussion.
    Since I haven't read the book, I can't really speak too much on the things it covers. However, I've read what Melania's had to say, and see how she's related things she learned from the book to changes she's made in her life. I've always believed that we all come to recognize at some point or other when what we're doing is a waste of time and energy, but that left to our own devices will even so continue what we're doing until we reach a level of maturity where we're willing to change. If this book has helped anybody to realize the time and energy they've been wasting, that's great. However, unless they're mature enough to commit to making positive changes in their lives, any and all changes made will only be temporary. That's all I've got. Sadly, I only took two semesters of psychology. Oh, and Melania, you're HOT! Just had to say that.

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ347
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSelis
    Well, it's like this: I believe in the law of attraction, karma and other similar beliefs. At the same time though, I believe you have to MAKE things happen and not just think about them. Just thinking about them can lead to disappointment and put you back in the same rut.

It's a new spin on a very old way of thinking. I'm glad you found that train of thought though.

This could turn into an interesting discussion.
    Since I haven't read the book, I can't really speak too much on the things it covers. However, I've read what Melania's had to say, and see how she's related things she learned from the book to changes she's made in her life. I've always believed that we all come to recognize at some point or other when what we're doing is a waste of time and energy, but that left to our own devices will even so continue what we're doing until we reach a level of maturity where we're willing to change. If this book has helped anybody to realize the time and energy they've been wasting, that's great. However, unless they're mature enough to commit to making positive changes in their lives, any and all changes made will only be temporary. That's all I've got. Sadly, I only took two semesters of psychology. Oh, and Melania, you're HOT! Just had to say that.
    i wouldn't so much about the psychology of it. In reality, it's more about the spirituality.

Again, I haven't read the book, and further, I'm not sure if you're referring to the book being more about spirituality than psychology, or referring to the underlying elements of the comments you made previously. What I will say is that, with regard to what I said before, it's about psychology. I do believe in spirituality, but think that where spirituality is concerned, all other sciences have no validity. Thus, if I read a book, and the subject matter causes me to reevaluate my life, then IMHO, the book has triggered something in my mind (since I have to think to evaluate anything at all), which can ultimately bring about a change, or not. Now, I know some would say the book triggered something on a spiritual level, and I can't and wouldn't argue that it couldn't, but you'd have a harder time proving that than you would that a person's state of mind was changed, thus I'm going with psychology here. I must stop here however, as we are at the limits of my understanding...

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TJ347
    Again, I haven't read the book, and further, I'm not sure if you're referring to the book being more about spirituality than psychology, or referring to the underlying elements of the comments you made previously. What I will say is that, with regard to what I said before, it's about psychology. I do believe in spirituality, but think that where spirituality is concerned, all other sciences have no validity. Thus, if I read a book, and the subject matter causes me to reevaluate my life, then IMHO, the book has triggered something in my mind (since I have to think to evaluate anything at all), which can ultimately bring about a change, or not. Now, I know some would say the book triggered something on a spiritual level, and I can't and wouldn't argue that it couldn't, but you'd have a harder time proving that than you would that a person's state of mind was changed, thus I'm going with psychology here. I must stop here however, as we are at the limits of my understanding...
    I know this isn't going to make any sense, but it was only when I stopped thinking that positive change came about. A good place to start for that is meditation. Much peace.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	591362583_l_125.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	94298  

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat
    I know this isn't going to make any sense, but it was only when I stopped thinking that positive change came about. A good place to start for that is meditation. Much peace.
    I wish meditation worked for me, but I can't clear my mind... I'm always thinking about something. That said, I've thought about what you said, and am reminded that someone once said change "doesn't just happen". If you sit still for a moment, you might see things you didn't see before, like opportunities for changes to be made. However, how many positive changes in your life have happened without you needing to do something yourself? I would have never gotten a job by sitting at home, praying for one. I had to pray for one, and go out there like it all depended on me, though I know it didn't. That's where I dislike some of the spirituality talk out there today. I don't like the concept of God as some pinata which spills blessings on us if we pray fervently enough. Too many people pray for things without doing anything on their part to achieve those things, and are thought of for some reason as pious and humble, instead of as a bunch of lazy idiots. Such is our world, though. But I've gotten off topic. What was it again?

Junior Poster

you guys are some what correct... Im not sitting here saying "O the book changed my life and lalalala...." No what I'm saying in reading The Secret I have realized that i control MY fate and I bring Negative thing in2 MY life, it also says meditation is good and she reccomends you do it. I like this book. and i reccomend it 2 every1.

Quote Originally Posted by xxMelania4uxx
    you guys are some what correct... Im not sitting here saying "O the book changed my life and lalalala...." No what I'm saying in reading The Secret I have realized that i control MY fate and I bring Negative thing in2 MY life, it also says meditation is good and she reccomends you do it. I like this book. and i reccomend it 2 every1.
    The book collects a lot of philosophy from many areas. Studying Buddhist principles, I've learned that negative thoughts attract negativity to one's life. Happiness can't be obtained unless your happy with yourself. I would definitely suggest that you should read Why Worry? by K Sri Dhammananda. It's usually a free book, but you can find copies on www.amazon.com for less than a dollar. You don't have to be a Buddhist to read this book. The principles are universal.

By the way, what part of VA were you hanging out at? I'm actually from VA, and I know it can be boring compared to NY. That's why I spent some time in Miami.

Junior Poster

Ill look in2 that Book, I had visited Richmond & Norfolk.... now im in Orlando....

5 Star Poster

Ill look in2 that Book, I had visited Richmond & Norfolk.... now im in Orlando....
    There's another book similar to the one mentioned (Why Worry?) that's simple to read and has some very basic guides to it.

It's also a Buddhist book (can be applied across all faiths/philosophies) and it's called "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron. The name is awful, but the premise is that many of us must reach some sort of bottom or bad place, that we must feel there is no other place to turn in order for us to fully grow, to accept change...and live life fully.

5 Star Poster

Oh, Melania, I wasn't saying anything bad at all. Not in the least. I'm really happy you've found this book and that it's working for you, that it's touching you.

Don't listen to me, I read far too much for my own good!