Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spelling

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RangeHova
    All in all it's just internet message board communication. Impropper grammar, bad spelling, and worse are what you are going to find on any message board. The same goes for casual emails and instant messaging. It's the most casual off the top of the head writtten word there is.

I'd rather the writer bring something interesting to the table than to be a boring drone with great spelling and propper grammar.

That just happens to be one of the many forms of internet English. I too hate this type of verbal garbage but i wouldn't classify those people as dumb just nerver wracking to people like me.
    I never said or implied that anyone in here is dumb. On the other hand, I did say they were lazy. I too want to see a poster bring something interesting to the table, but I must be able to read and comprehend it first.

Junior Poster

Damn, now it's going to take me forty five minutes to type a post. (wait is that right "type a post")? Man, this sucks I thought i was safe here but no, somebody always has to find a problem with something. Crap, I think that was a run on sentence. Is it run on or run-on sentence. This is great, on top of my poor spelling and gramatical skills, I am pretty lazy can type for shit have a mild case of dyslexia and have a wireless keyboard with low batteries. Woooo Hooo, ain't life grand. People need to chill a bit ....Its alll good.

well I do think the caps thing is a pain in the ass. I can't imagine why someone would type in all caps.....or even WORSE ...ThE PeOpLe ThAt AlTeRnAte CaPs AnD LoWeRcAsE... Or Just The Cap As The First Letter...yeah that gets me a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keyboard44nu_359.jpg 
Views:	1412 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	15102  

5 Star Poster

Default English!

Look, I have an A in English and I haven't made a serious spelling mistake in a long time (unless it's a typo or I haven't be bothered to spell properly- such as when I am sending an SMS or leaving someone a note or in fact posting on a forum). I'm sure I'll probably make one now, though...But who gives a flying fuck anyway? If you read Gia Darling's latest post you'll see it's littered with errors and bad punctuation. And, showing good grace, Gia jokes that she has to improve her spelling (Gia, to me you are perfect).

Then again I did get somewhat peeved when others miscontrued my suggestion that tranny-chasing (or tranny-loving) could be described as either a fetish or a perversion (read my post in 'Hi all' or refer to your dictionary to see the genuine meaning of these words- neither word is actually as bad as what most people believe it to be). Someone suggestion that perversion refers to 'being forced' into sex, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Does it all matter? Not if we can make sense of each other and not get all hot and blustery just because we don't know exactly what someone is trying to say (either because our understanding of words is wrong or because theirs is). After all, are we not all on this forum because it is we who are the open-minded ones?

Then again bad punctuation can occasionally make a difference. Is it-

Private. No swimming allowed.

Or-

Private? No. Swimming allowed.

Increase the peace

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Veteran Poster

To me this isn't worth the fight.

So I will move on saying only this, "To err is human, the ability to forgive is divine."

Take that anyway you want to, and if it offends then look at my signature.

Oh what the hell, I am a Scot.

Personally I loathe bad grammer and spelling, but then again I am man enough to admit that I do it from time to time. With that in mind I refuse to cast stones at people because of their grammer and spelling.

Harmless_pervert

Sorry if i offended ye, no wait I am not sorry, being offended is your problem not mine.

Rookie Poster

Default In summation....

Is it me, or is there a direct correlation between intelligence and Hungangels/admirers? Now, look what you started!

Rookie Poster

TYpeng with one hane is extrmemly diffikult.

Forgive me if I don't bother to stop my favorite past time to correct grammar and spelling in this forum. After all, I came here to see photographs, video clips, and perhaps converse with people who share the same fantasies as I, not to have my thoughts and expressions checked by English professors.

Most of what we see here is the difference between talking in a diner with a group of friends vs. making a formal presentation in a business or professional environment. In the one, you expect to get a little leeway for your casual attitude and mistakes, in the other you know you will be held to the highest standards and that you must meet those standards to be successful.

Personally I don't mind a little "Ebonics" every now and then. Or perhaps we should form a commitee to develop a standard format for presentations and publications similar to what the medical and science journals have produced? We could establish guidelines for document size, margins, bibliographies, charts, and graphics? We could call it ISO7734. The Society of Hungangels Uniform Technical Umpired Publications.

(Didju gitit?)

Ava what? Why yes, I do have a car.

Junior Poster

it doesn't bother me. i was simply surprised by how many people can't spell.

i actually spell pretty poorly so if i see it then...

it's funny how people are like hey man i'm not here to spell but then respond to this post to flex. you're forgiven.

Gold Poster

Lurker,

Yes, informality, leeway, and casuality are par for the course, and in fact excused, if not welcomed, in forums such as this one which are graphic intense and frequently short on the text front, and I seriously doubt there is anyone in here policing your or anyone else's spelling or grammar, but all the aforementioned are miles apart from what a few of us in this thread are getting at. We're talking about flagrant, egregious postings which one has to work at in an attempt to extract something out of it. Christ, it's like trying to read hieroglyphics through dirty bifocals at times.

... Tell me you didn't have to read both of ILUVNICOLE's posts twice, in his/her search for Nicole Adams, which you recently responded to ?

Here are my examples:

Mike is going out with Danielle Foxxx. (simple statement)

Mike is going out with Danielle Foxxx? (question)

Mike is going out with Danielle Foxxx? (Emphasis is on Mike, as if it wouldn't be likely for him to pair up with Danielle.)

Mike is going out with Danielle Foxxx? (Emphasis is on Danielle [Underlining or bold face might also work here, but I would utilize italics] )

Mike ? Is going out ? With Danielle Foxxx ? ( The questionmarks provide the thought balance, as if all parts of the statement are incredulous)

Mike -- is going out -- with Danielle Foxxx. (Here the emphasis is on the "going out" part, as if Mike has a reputation of a dull homebody, etc)

Mike is going out ... with Danielle Foxxx. (The ellipsis here can serve two functions. In this case, Danielle is an afterthought to Mike going out. The other function is that of a "filler")

Mike is going out -- with Danielle Foxxx! (Here the dash in combination with an exclamation point give both parts equal umph!)

Mike. Is. Going. Out. With. Danielle. Foxxx. (Here the whole statement suggests certainty and clarification, if not playfulness, as if to clarify a previous question [underlining it would work also, as well as posting it vertically or utilizing exclamation points, or maybe embellishing it with bold text] )

There are many, many more ways to give the aforesaid example a different meaning, color, tone, or style, but I think you get my point, right ?

For ILUVNICOLE :

http://www.grammarbook.com/

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index.htm

http://englishplus.com/

www.merriam-webster.com/home.htm

If I, a product of one of the worst high schools in this city at the time, and consequently one who did not graduate from said high school can recover to become a better writer, you should be able too also. The 'net is there at your disposal for your learning and improvement, Bunky. Use it!

Rookie Poster

realgirls4me,

Point taken. And yes, I did have to read the posts twice.

partly cloudy, Is that Fifty Cent? I guess you never know what prison time will do to a person!

Ava what? Why yes, I do have a car.