View Poll Results: Could there actually be life on this new earth like planet?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

2 8.33%
  • YES

22 91.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default (Off Topic) Could there be life on new earth like planet?

I'm sure there will only be a limited amount of people interested in this topic, but with the discovery of this new Planet comes a new hope of answering the age old question.......................

Are we alone?

It seems as if within our Solar System we are the only inhabitable Planet; if we abide by the rules of physics and science as we know it.

With ever-changing advances in telescope technology, we now have the ability to discover and even assess new planets that exist outside of our Solar System.

Scientists tell us, this recently discovered planet that has been named Gleise 581c could actually support water, thus potentially life. The planet is said to have a surface temperature of somewhere between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius (perfect for supporting Carbon Based Life Forms).

It orbits Gliese 581 -- a diminutive "red dwarf" star located in the constellation Libra, and is estimated to be fifty percent larger than earth. Although the planet can not be actually seen yet, due to it being about 190 trillion kilometers away from Earth. More advanced technology is likely to be developed in the near future that could offer the opportunity to look for signs of life.

I find it fascinating that there is a Planet out there, that we know about, and at this very moment……some light years away could potentially have creatures very similar to us actually walking upon it’s atmosphere.

I only have one handle here, and that is a fact!

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

maybe on a basic level, but not human life. too many things have to be right for another human-like life form on another planet. maybe a batceria or some sort, but nothing more complex than that.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

Default Re: (Off Topic) Could there be life on new earth like planet

Quote Originally Posted by lust4ts
    I'm sure there will only be a limited amount of people interested in this topic, but with the discovery of this new Planet comes a new hope of answering the age old question.......................

Are we alone?

It seems as if within our Solar System we are the only inhabitable Planet; if we abide by the rules of physics and science as we know it.

With ever-changing advances in telescope technology, we now have the ability to discover and even assess new planets that exist outside of our Solar System.

Scientists tell us, this recently discovered planet that has been named Gleise 581c could actually support water, thus potentially life. The planet is said to have a surface temperature of somewhere between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius (perfect for supporting Carbon Based Life Forms).

It orbits Gliese 581 -- a diminutive "red dwarf" star located in the constellation Libra, and is estimated to be fifty percent larger than earth. Although the planet can not be actually seen yet, due to it being about 190 trillion kilometers away from Earth. More advanced technology is likely to be developed in the near future that could offer the opportunity to look for signs of life.

I find it fascinating that there is a Planet out there, that we know about, and at this very moment…….. thousands of light years away could potentially have creatures very similar to us actually walking upon it’s atmosphere.

maybe an ameba or something. If that.

GOOD THINGS

Professional Poster

Of course there could be life. It appears likely that at one stage there may have been basic life on Mars before most of it's atmosphere bled away. I think we are pretty arrogant about our being special. Even if there is no life on Gilese 581C it's pretty certain there will be life somewhere. The question is will there be sentinent life like us. On our planet only one out of millions of species has ever really developed much in the way of tool production etc. I'd say the universe is teeming with life but that intellegent life as we know it is probably considerably more sparse.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

There is.

Junior Poster

alpha says
    I'd say the universe is teeming with life but that intellegent life as we know it is probably considerably more sparse.

Here on earth too.
    There was a very interesting show on Discovery Science called 'What if we had no moon', pointed out that the moon is critical in the development of life on earth....stabilizing the axis shift. Other planets in our solar system shift about pretty violently (in galactic time) and the result would be migration of the poles that would pretty much disrupt advanced life forms. The moon is receding from earth at an accelerating pace (albeit very slowly) and long before the sun swallows us the moon will escape and we will be in deep doody....at least those of us who live another 5 million years or so.
    Great thread, I hope tonight I dream of planet TGirl where I am stranded with thousands of lust-filled transsexual aliens who look like tsntx and jennifer paris. Of course, as Al Bundy would say, with three breasts...You know, one on the back for when you're dancing.

we're always a step out of time,
    now ain't that a shame

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
    And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
    That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
    A sun that is the source of all our power.
    The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
    Are moving at a million miles a day
    In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
    Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
    Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
    It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
    It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
    But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
    We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
    We go 'round every two hundred million years,
    And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
    In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
    In all of the directions it can whizz
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
    Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
    So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

meow

FK

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Silvester
    Was this a hoax?
    Damn straight it was a Hoax, just the story about how the tape was obtained is a give away.............not to mention the person who was supposed to be given the tape being a film producer.

I only have one handle here, and that is a fact!

Junior Poster

Jupiter's moon, Titan, might just have microbial life under it's ice.

The subject of life, time, and space have always fascinated me. Good thread.

"Can't worry about what another nigga think, now that's liberation and baby I want it."
    -OutKast