Default The National Review Sinks to a New Low

You know, sometimes I wonder why online columnists opt not to have a "comments" box.... in THIS case, the reason is patently clear:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...E5ZjM1OWQxYTU=

Spirit of Self-Defense John Derbyshire

"As NRO's designated chickenhawk, let me be the one to ask: Where was the spirit of self-defense here? Setting aside the ludicrous campus ban on licensed conceals, why didn't anyone rush the guy? It's not like this was Rambo, hosing the place down with automatic weapons. He had two handguns for goodness' sake...one of them reportedly a .22.

At the very least, count the shots and jump him reloading or changing hands. Better yet, just jump him. Handguns aren't very accurate, even at close range. I shoot mine all the time at the range, and I still can't hit squat. I doubt this guy was any better than I am. And even if hit, a .22 needs to find something important to do real damage... your chances aren't bad.

Yes, yes, I know it's easy to say these things: but didn't the heroes of Flight 93 teach us anything? As the cliche goes... and like most cliches. It's true... none of us knows what he'd do in a dire situation like that. I hope, however, that if I thought I was going to die anyway, I'd at least take a run at the guy."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same guy that advocated hanging the British Marines captured by the Iranians for cowardice.

5 Star Poster

That is not an unsual comment or out of the ordinary. It`s 20/20 hindsight.

People usually have to be trained to react. The instinctive reaction is not to move. The old adage is true, ' a deer in the headlights'.

Where he is off is in his opinion of the .22. This tiny little bullet can travel at up to 1100 ft/s or more.

When people abandon the truth, they don’t believe in nothing, they believe in anything.