Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Azanti
    For evil to prosper all it takes is for good men to do nothing.
    To say this could have been prevented is an insult to all involved including the victims

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    How 1 guy can take out 32 people alone is disturbing.
    I'm surprised by the number of casualties as well, particularly if it's just one shooter who's responsible. Fuck!

-Quinn
    there are several guns that can be purchased at a gun show that can do the sick twisted task that was taken out............

I feel bad for both the students of Va. Tech and Radford

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

5 Star Poster

Damn. I hope everyone's friends and loved ones are okay.
    These types can't just simply end their own miserable lives, can they?

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

She said that the gunman, who looked asian, left and She and another classmate barricated the door while others attended to the wounded and injured.

WOW, that's all I'm going to say................just wow

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Platinum Poster

Brian Williams from NBC on is location there as I type...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Platinum Poster

The rumor about the killer being from RU hasn't yet been confirmed...but I've had some damn good times at RU, and at the campus that was once known as VPI (it was when my dad attended there)... and this literally brings tears to my eyes.

Long long ago a aunt of mine got involved with a man who was gun runner who gave out automatic weapons or anything for the right price if every gun waqs banned unde r law a man like him wpud still provide guns to people who seek harm so gun band wont ever work with the black market around its inevitable to think gun bans will stop massacres.

Platinum Poster

updated news conference now on MSNBC EST

Gold Poster

Apparently the gunmen was a 24 years old,chinese and over here under a student visa.

Rookie Poster

Default Speaking from a point of view.......

Fist I want to say I feel for the families. I really do. It is sad, but Speaking from the point of view of someone who has faced a criminal. The best defense is a good offense. A legally owned gun saved me from a robber. The police can't be everywhere all the time. I wonder. I read this earlier ??? It makes you think about how two of the school shootings were stopped???

VA Tech official praised defeat of student self-defense proposal in 2006
    Jeff Johnson
    OneNewsNow.com
    April 16, 2007

A Virginia Tech official in 2006 praised the defeat of a proposal to allow students with state-issued concealed handgun permits to carry their handguns on college campuses in Virginia. At least 20 unarmed students were killed on the VA Tech campus Monday morning by a single gunman.

advertisement

Virginia House Bill 1572 was proposed in 2005 by Shenandoah County, Va., Republican Del. Todd Gilbert after a VA Tech student with a state-issued concealed handgun permit was arrested and charged only with "unlawfully" carrying a handgun on campus. The bill would have prohibited state universities in Virginia from enacting "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

After the proposal died in the state's House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety, The Roanoke Times quoted VA Tech spokesman Larry Hincker as celebrating the defeat of the bill.

"I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions," Hincker said on Jan. 31, 2006, "because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Following Monday's multiple-victim shooting at VA Tech, Erich Pratt with Virginia-based Gun Owners of America called that philosophy "idiocy."

"I think gun control advocates will say, 'See, we need more gun control,' even though this is exactly the product of gun control," Pratt said.

Currently, only Utah and Oregon have statutes specifically authorizing law-abiding individuals with concealed handgun permits to possess their firearms on state university property. Most other states have explicit or implied prohibitions.

"Every [other] school campus in this nation is a 'gun free zone,' supposedly," Pratt bemoaned. "But, isn't it amazing that criminals, bad guys never obey those laws."

Regarding Utah, Pratt adds, "Isn't it interesting that that's the one state where we haven't heard of any school shootings."

At least two school shootings have been stopped by armed civilians before police arrived:

· January 9, 2002, Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Va. - 43 year old Peter Odighizuwa, who had flunked out of the small law school earlier in the week killed three people and wounded three others. Two law students - Tracy Bridges and Ted Besen - retreived a handgun from Bridges' vehicle and held Odighizuwa at gun point for several minutes before police arrived. (Bridges was a reserve deputy sheriff, but was not on duty at the time of the incident.)

· October 1, 1997, Pearl High School, Pearl, Ms. - 16 year old Luke Woodham carried a rifle onto the school campus, killed his ex-girlfriend and one of her friends and wounded seven other people. Assisstant Principal Joel Myrick retreived a handgun from his truck and held Woodham for police. It was later learned that the teeneager had beaten and stabbed his own mother to death before the attack at the school.

Pratt is not optimistic, however, that lawmakers will allow public university students and faculty members to protect themselves from mass murderers like the one who struck VA Tech Monday.

"The only schools and universities where these tragedies have been stopped abruptly were the places where law-abiding citizens had a gun that was accessible to them and they were able to stop the shooter," Pratt noted. "The schools and universities that had to wait for the police to arrive, those are the ones that find these high death tolls.

"It's just a real shame," he concluded, "that these guys never get it."