Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Confessions of a B.E.T. Producer

If you want to understand why B.E.T (Black Entertainment Television) is what it is today, you need to watch these four videos made by an ex- B.E.T producer. B.E.T is bad for a reason.

http://www.myspace.com/dbrad76
    Just click on the videos on the right side.

Viacom bought B.E.T and controls the station through VP Stephen Hill. He was place there "To dumb the culture down".

Other truths include how B.E.T killed Hip-hop, and manipulated the image of Tupac. Many people don't know that the FBI had a file on him when he was 7 yrs old.

How 106 and Park is rigged.

The videos also discuss the truth about Gay Black Hollywood. How many artists have had gay relations to make it to the top.

Everything Viacom doesn't want you to know. Youtube has already been forced to remove all but one video.

It's amazing that a handful of people, and one company are the reason why the urban culture is a mess. The introduction of Viacom killed a station that never reached it's full potential. Many can't recall shows like Teen Summit, Video Soul, and the Tavis Smiley news show.

B.E.T. founder Robert L. Johnson sold BET to Viacom for a reported $3 billion, becoming America's first black billionaire and the second largest individual shareholder of Viacom. Did he sell the soul of the black community as well?

Junior Poster

I don't know how much of that is really true, but are you really suprised? I wouldn't consider viacom to be the soul of any community.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat
    I don't know how much of that is really true, but are you really suprised? I wouldn't consider viacom to be the soul of any community.
    I'm not surprised at all. I heard the rumors before people started speaking out finally. Of course Viacom could never represent the black community.

I don't own a teevee (Well, I have a couple, but can't remember where I stashed them) and am so lily white that I fucking glow in the dark, so B.E.T. is somewhat lost on me beyond the occasional reference in Magruder's 'Boondocks' comic strip.

I am, however, familiar with Tavis Smiley via his syndicated radio show that is broadcast through NPR to a number of markets. Maybe it's just a matter of getting away from (As Heinlein so aptly phrased it) the 'Goddamned noisy box' and listening to the =voice= of the culture.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

The good news is that BET doesn't speak to
    all of Black America.

The bad news is that it speaks to too many
    of the Black youth of America.

The messages that it helps promote of
    misogyny, glorfication of violence, drug
    use, and materialism, is a tragedy.

Man, I haven't tuned in to B.E.T. since I was about 13 ('bout 10 years ago).

"Can't worry about what another nigga think, now that's liberation and baby I want it."
    -OutKast

Rookie Poster

I don't watch BET.......It's for knucklehead little kids. BET was bought out forever ago...now it's just like MTV!.......garbage!!

Veteran Poster

I don't think these videos reveal anything new. The channel is full of uninspired videos and retarded tv shows. I'd be surprised to find out anyone actually watches it.

The youth watch BET still. Black, and other races. That's the problem. MTV is no better of course, but it's interesting to actually hear what a former insider has to say about BET. The issues with BET is something to keep in mind, since it influences so many youth. I know kids that will spend all evening just absorbing bad videos.

How do you change a station that's run like BET? With a corporate giant pushing certain types of music.

I heard the complaints in the Imus thread, and I thought I would share all of this with everybody.

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

i stopped watchin BET when they pulled Tavis Smiley from their station. he was the only intellegent person there.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P