Page 1 of 43 12345611 ... LastLast
    Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Default IMUS IMUS IMUS.........................

NEW YORK -- Don Imus said he's sorry for a controversy he's created.

On his "Imus In The Morning" show Thursday, he referred to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

He was talking to Sid Rosenberg with Sports Talk on the phone about the Women's NCAA Championship game.

Imus started out talking about the Rutgers team as, "some rough girls from Rutgers. They got tattoos," and then went on to call them "some nappy-headed hos."

He compared them to the Tennessee team, saying "The girls from Tennessee -- they all looked cute."

The conversation then went on to compare the game to "the jigaboos versus the wannabes." Media Matters reported that the show's executive producer, Bernard McGuirk, made that comment.

# To hear the controversial conversation, click here.

On Friday morning's show, Imus said, "I want to take a moment to apologize for an insensitive and ill-conceived remark we made the other morning regarding the Rutgers women's basketball team, which lost to Tennessee in the NCAA championship game on Tuesday.

It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry."

Thursday, The New York Times reported that Imus said people should relax and not worry about "some idiot comment meant to be amusing."

A Rutgers spokesperson issued a statement saying, "We agree with Mr. Imus that this was, in his own words, an 'idiot comment.' We are very proud of the success of the Rutgers women's basketball team. Coach Stringer and the Rutgers players are outstanding ambassadors for this great institution."

MSNBC released a statement saying, "While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

He won't be the 1st shock jock to say something foul, and he certainly won't be the last.................

Here's my question to you all reading this post: Wouldn't it be wiser to let him pay a fine and stay on a radio station where he will be closely monitored for the rest of his airtime?

OR

Would it be smart to let him go KNOWING that satellite radio (Howard Stern or not) would JUMP at the opportunity to sign him where he could practically say whatever he wants?

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Why not a third option like, say, repeatedly kicked in the nuts? Not that I advocate violence, but this is a big issue...especially when you have all these fuckers like Imus, O'Reilly, Hannity, and all the rest spilling hatred onto the airwaves 24/7. It's been said before, but "Network" was the most prophetic film ever made.

I never listen to radio and I gave my television away ages ago...but this weekend I was visiting someone and they had a tv so I channel surfed. What a fucking wasteland of mindless entertainment. I mean, when will people say enough is enough, when will they go their windows and say"i'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"?

Sorry for the rant, but why the fuck do people even listen to the radio or watch television anymore? It's pathetic.

This appears to be a typical diversion from real issues at hand.

Gold Poster

It would be wise just to fire him,this guy isn't a shock jock he has had presidential candidates on his show and for people to use the shock jock thing as excuse is wrong.Remember when mahr was fired from hbo and savage was fired from msbc because of similar comments imus should get the same treatment as those guys.

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Quote Originally Posted by TSChaser
    This appears to be a typical diversion from real issues at hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49667291_5c18b0a3b5_686.jpg 
Views:	8296 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	90278  

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

From what I read Sirius 'screwed the pooch' by paying Howard Stern
    $500 million, and was forced into a merger with XM Satellite Radio. So
    having Imus go over to satellite may not be the best course of action.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...illDoomed.aspx

Millions of people bought Sirius shares at $6 to $8 for their retirement
    accounts, and rode them down to $3.50, never losing faith in Stern. At
    this point, they need to face up to the fact that they're screwed. Stern
    made half a billion. They will make nothing. They can file SIRI stock
    certificates away under "S" for stupid. They blew it.

In the Imus instance I say fine the hell out of the Imus.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

never underestimate the power of listeners, while it's true that Stern's faithful followed him sparingly to Sirius, IMUS is a whole other story. The merger was also a save for XM more than it was for Sirius, which was failing dramatically due to Sirius signing Stern and XM's own shock jocks leaving briefly afterwards to go back to FM.

my point was that IMUS makes a good profit now, but satellite radio would make him a killer offer, it would not be in the same league as Stern's offer but he'd be set for life and free to say what he wants without the FCC, NBC, or CBS breathing down his back.

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Junior Poster

whatsupwithat sez
    I gave my television away ages ago

so, uh, how do you follow transvids?

we're always a step out of time,
    now ain't that a shame

Imus has a LONG history of offending other groups.
    He called his bosses at CBS "money grubbing jews".
    The anti-defamation league got involved but Imus didnt get fired.
    If he wasnt fired for that then he wont be fired for this.
    Imus says things that should not be said over the airwaves....he has no filter......he speaks as if he is in a bar talking to his boys.
    The funny thing is those women at RUTGERS could EASILY kick Imus up the ass and their is nothing he could do about it!
    If said it before and I will say it again......all these people on radio and TV that act this way are WHITE.

Professional Poster

Im sorry but i have to take the opposite road here...Im very opposed to any kind of censorship.

Fuck the FCC....

If the dude wants to make a comment, no matter how backwards or retarded, he should be free to say whatever the fuck he wants to say.

DO NOT LET THE SHEEP ERODE YOUR FREEDOM...