Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Poster Hara_Juku Tgirl's Avatar

Default Post your favorite Mother's recipe! (Food Thread)

Ok taken from my forum which I posted awhile ago (May 2006).

Here is ONE of mine:

CHICKEN/PORK ADOBO

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. Adobo is also a term used as the name for a common dish in the Philippines, typically made from pork or chicken or a combination of both. It is slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns, and often browned in the oven or pan-fried afterwards to get the desirable crisped edges. This dish originates from the northern region of the Philippines.

Ingridients:

1 regular sized chicken or pork, cut into pieces
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    a head garlic, macerated
    1/4 c oil

Directions:

Clean and cut chicken into pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a saucepan and add bay leaf, garlic, and vinegar. Let simmer until tender. Add water if needed, add 1/2 cup hot water at a time. When the meat is tender, add the oil and saute until brown. Serve hot.

What's you favorite mother's recipe?.

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Mine couldn't cook...I saw her burn water once!
    Gravy...One slice or two? :P
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Veteran Poster

Spicy Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

1/4 cup of good quality cooking oil
    1/2 tbs ground coriander (cilantro) seed
    1/2 tbs ground cumin
    a pinch of ground fennel seed
    1 and a 1/2 tbs chilli powder
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp oregano
    1 and a 1/2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    a chunk of ginger maybe the size of a largish marble, also finely chopped
    1 and a 1/2 onions (whichever kind you like, I like big red ones)
    1 or two curry leaves
    a centimetre or so of pandanus leaf

Add all the above ingredients into a saucepan stir, and heat till the onion goes soft-ish, make sure it doesn't burn as I stupidly do all the time. Add to this

A chopped and cleaned chicken (the whole chicken gives you better flavour but is a pain to chop, clean etc.) or about 500g diced, and cleaned chicken fillets (or whatever the equivalent is for you Imperial barbarians).

Once you've added and stirred your chicken pieces into the oil and spices, leave them to cook through.

When the chicken's done add 1 cup of room temperature water, and some roughly chopped potatoes. Stir through and bring back to boil

After the potatoes are soft (you may need to add water through their cooking), simmer the sauce down so it's quite thick. To this, add 1 tin (or the imperial equivalent of about 420 ml) of coconut cream. Stir through and simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Rest the curry for 5 minutes.

Garnish with a generous handful of chopped cilantro leaves and chopped grape tomatoes.

Serve over steamed jasmine rice. For those who can't handle the heat a touch of yoghurt on the side of the rice helps, with both the heat and spiciness of the curry.

Yeah, awesome, when not in use, store in air-sealed containers in the fridge, all the flavours really infuse into the chicken in the fridge overnight.

Bon Apetit

Off topic, hey all, I'm a longtime lurker etc. etc.

I'm a 21 y/o bi-sexual male from the Australian capital. I'm a poor yet post-modern, struggling uni student. I love popular art, popular music and popular culture in general.

I like to play music, and currently play bass in a pop (big surprise there) band with some friends and also spend half my lectures doing stupid cartooning as opposed to listening and note-taking. I love good food, I love to cook and eating with good people.

Eh yeah, can't think of anything else, hope someone tries to make my curry. It's pretty close to what my mum used to make, I tend to omit some things, add some others and turn it into something entirely different so I can't quite remember the original, whatever I do it's usually pretty fantastic. (who needs modesty?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho
    Mine couldn't cook...I saw her burn water once!
    Gravy...One slice or two? :P
    LOL Sorry to hear that Jeriho!

Hmm..I've gotta try your Sri Lankan Curry Chicken lupinIII. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

Professional Poster

If I ever meet you Hara, you have to cook me that dinner

Quote Originally Posted by TGL
    If I ever meet you Hara, you have to cook me that dinner
    LOL Sure. I dont see why not?

lupinIII Welcome to HA! I hope you're enjoying yourself. :P

You should try my moms Curry Chicken:

1 kilo chicken breast, cut into serving pieces

2 finely chopped onions

3 big onions, sliced thickly

3 cloves garlic, chopped finely

4 green long chillies

1 tbs curry powder

2 cups coconut milk (second squeeze)

1/2 cup first squeezed coconut milk

note: if using instant coc milk powder, add 2 cups of water into 100g. of coco powder.

salt & pepper

wansoy or coriander

Directions:

Sautee garlic and onions until slightly brown and tender. Add chicken and cook until brown. Add curry powder, stir and pour 2 cups of coco milk. Boil until chicken is cooked and sauce has evaporated. When sauce is almost gone, pour in first squeezed coco milk. Simmer until sauced has thickened. (If using coco powder, dissolve 100g coco powder in 2 cups of water and boil chicken with it.) Add chillies. Stir and simmer for few more minutes. Season and sprinkle wansoy or coriander then take out from pan and serve hot with rice.

~Kisses.

HTG

Junior Poster
    Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

My mom's meatloaf is the bomb! She also makes a side dish casserole from hashbrowns. Mmmmm, yummy yummy in my tummy.

The unfortunate thing is that she likes to experiment. Once when she was short of ketchup for a meatloaf she used salsa.

I'm just here for the ritual sex and human sacrifice.

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Default Re: Post your favorite Mother's recipe! (Food Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Hara_Juku Tgirl
    Ok taken from my forum which I posted awhile ago (May 2006).

Here is ONE of mine:

CHICKEN/PORK ADOBO

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. Adobo is also a term used as the name for a common dish in the Philippines, typically made from pork or chicken or a combination of both. It is slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns, and often browned in the oven or pan-fried afterwards to get the desirable crisped edges. This dish originates from the northern region of the Philippines.

Ingridients:

1 regular sized chicken or pork, cut into pieces
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    a head garlic, macerated
    1/4 c oil

Directions:

Clean and cut chicken into pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a saucepan and add bay leaf, garlic, and vinegar. Let simmer until tender. Add water if needed, add 1/2 cup hot water at a time. When the meat is tender, add the oil and saute until brown. Serve hot.

What's you favorite mother's recipe?.

~Kisses.

HTG
    I cook a mean adobo! Love adobo! Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat

Hmm..I see another thing we have in common! LOL :P

Did you use to go out with a filipina whatsupwithat?

~Kisses.

HTG

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hara_Juku Tgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat

Hmm..I see another thing we have in common! LOL :P

Did you use to go out with a filipina whatsupwithat?

~Kisses.

HTG
    Yep, a filipina ts, 13 years. Friends now.

The adobo will stay with me forever, though.