Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

Default HIV/STD issues within the transgendered community

First of all, by posting this I am not implying anything about anyone. Those of you that know me personally know that if anything, I believe we should support our brothers and sisters with HIV and educate those without HIV about prevention.

Please read the whole thing to try and understand the issues involved. There are many. And maybe we, together, can make a difference?

And to those who are perhaps not that educated about HIV, this doesn't mean you can't have sex. It just means to respect yourself and the person or people you're with. Be safe. Wear a condom. That's all.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

National HIV Prevention Conference
    Atlanta, Georgia - Jun 12-15, 2005

STD/HIV TRANSMISSION ISSUES
    AMONG TRANSGENDER

ISSUE: HIV/STD transmission issues within the TG (transgender) community are misunderstood not only by the general population but by the transgender individual themselves. HIV/STD’s are also increasing at an alarming rate within the TG community.

SETTING: HIV/STD transmission routes unique to the TG individual, issues in testing and receiving care, psychosocial issues of risk taking behavior.

IMPLICATIONS: The Transgender community is a largely diverse group. Within the TG community are particular sub-groups that are more at risk than others. MTF (male to female transgender) sex workers have high rates of HIV infection, with overall rates of 35% in San Francisco in 1997 and 22% in Los Angeles in 1998. A study of MTF sex workers in Atlanta found that 68% tested positive for HIV. Infections among MTFs continue to rise, with an estimated rate of new infections of 3-8% per year. Injection drug use is also visible among MTFs, again putting them at high risk for HIV. In a San Francisco study, 18% of the respondents reported non-hormonal injection drug use in the past six months and half of this group shared syringes. MTFs may inject female hormones in order to feminize their bodies, putting them again at increased risk. Transphobia, or the pervasive social stigmatization of MTFs, greatly exacerbates their HIV risk. This intense stigmatization results in their social marginalization, which includes the denial of educational, employment and housing opportunities. It also creates multiple barriers to accessing health care. Such marginalization lowers MTFs’ self esteem, increases the likelihood of survival sex work and lessens the likelihood of safer sex practices. All of this can lead to high rates of HIV, STDs, drug use and attempted suicide. Pre-GRS (genital reassignment surgery) MTFs primarily have sex with men and are likely to engage in receptive anal sex, which puts them at increased risk. Some MTF commercial sex workers are willing to not use condoms with their paying partners if they are offered more money however, some studies show that most unprotected sex occurs with primary partners, not paying partners. Psychosocial factors such as poverty, low self-esteem, depression, rejection, and powerlessness are cited by many MTFs as barriers to sexual and drug risk reduction. For example, many MTFs state that they engage in unprotected sex because it validates their female gender identity and boosts their self-esteem. Commercial sex is largely a means of survival. For many MTFs, securing employment and housing are more pressing issues than HIV and must be addressed before HIV prevention efforts can be effective. Many trans-gender individuals do not access HIV prevention or health services due to the insensitivity of service providers and health care staff or fear of being revealed as transgender.

Special thanks to: Transgender Advisory Committee to the AIDS Office and the San Francisco Department of Public Health, AIDS Office Kristen Clements, Kerrily Kitano, and Willy Wilkinson San Francisco County Jail (San Bruno), Tenderloin AIDS Resource Center, Tom Waddell Clinic And the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies at the University of California San Francisco.

Copyright notice: The National HIV Prevention Conference is collaborative effort by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a U.S. Government agency, and other governmental and non-government organizations. All abstracts published by the conference organizers are in the public domain and can be used without permission. Proper citation, however, is required.

5 Star Poster

Interesting that there's not one reply. I know it's not the happiest or sexiest of topics but I was hoping to open up a dialogue on the issue(s)...there are many to be discussed. Oh well...

yeah its a scary reality of the GLTG communities.

Here in Thailand there has been improvements but I personally know a few HIV poz girls here who still do bareback w/ unsuspecting farangs...sad but true.

The only hope I see, to really cut down such risks, both for the girls and the guys hiring them- is if someone were able to develop a reliable, fairly instant (say 5 min) hiv home-test kit.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem being in a relationship with someone with hiv/aids, so long I knew before hand so I could protect myself... that and even if two people with aids are in a sexual relationship, I have been told by some medical professionals that unprotected sex can continue to worsen their situation by increasing the amount of the virus within the body (i dunno if that is accurate information- I am hardly a doctor).

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Veteran Poster

Good post! All of us need to be as informed as possible about this scurge and make informed decisions.

My older brother screwed his way through the 70s and had a whale of a time! Got married and monogamous in 1983. I'm part of the generation that started having an active sex life in the mid 80's just as this shit started hitting the fan. It's hung over me all my (sex) life and is not going to go away. However, this is nothing compared to the calamity Aids has caused in sub-Saharan Africa.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Rookie Poster

im never going to have sex or possible marry a ts or tg now, considering how many are infected, not worth it to me, to get aids

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by backthen
    im never going to have sex or possible marry a ts or tg now, considering how many are infected, not worth it to me, to get aids
    Damn, you would look good in a "I'm an ignorant selfish asshat" tshirt.

I really, really hope you're just trolling.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat

I am not going to argue with you over the internet, in the end, you'll have aids and ill be laughing.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat

I am not going to argue with you over the internet, in the end, you'll have aids and ill be laughing.

You're right. No use in even communicating.